BBC Solicitor Apprenticeship

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hi,

I am applying for the BBC solicitor apprenticeship and am having some difficulties answering this question despite how simple it may seem;

Tell us about any skills, experience, or interests you have that make you a good fit for the BBC Legal team.

I'm struggling to find anything online about what the BBC Legal team look for or values that are important to sort of link into my skills, experiences and interests etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: ellenalex

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi,

I am applying for the BBC solicitor apprenticeship and am having some difficulties answering this question despite how simple it may seem;

Tell us about any skills, experience, or interests you have that make you a good fit for the BBC Legal team.

I'm struggling to find anything online about what the BBC Legal team look for or values that are important to sort of link into my skills, experiences and interests etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Just had a quick look and this is what they say on the "Level 7 Graduate Legal Apprenticeship" page:

"Applicants also need to be able to demonstrate knowledge of and a commitment to the BBC and an understanding of the many areas of law, both editorial and commercial, that we deal with on an everyday basis. This includes not only commercial law, litigation, intellectual property, data protection, employment, and competition law, but also an appetite to support all the varied, and sometimes unique, legal needs of one of the creative sector’s biggest employers. Over the course of your training you can also expect to gain experience of responding both to critical issues immediately and providing long-term business support, legal research, writing and drafting in transaction and contentious contexts, interviewing and advising, negotiation, oral presentation and communication. We welcome people from all backgrounds and value previous work experience.

We are looking for bright, commercially-aware, aspiring lawyers who want to work in what we think is the world’s most exciting in-house environment. You will be involved in a wide range of quality legal work from day one. You will be closely supervised by lawyers who are experts in their individual fields, but you will also get a chance to work with business colleagues across the BBC, in different teams, and build your legal career as part of a large and supportive in-house team which makes business-critical contributions to the success of the BBC."
    (https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/how-to-apply)

So in terms of skills, I would say that they are looking for very similar skills as most commercial law firms: commercial awareness, attention to detail, communication, collaboration.

The BBC values appear to be: (https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/how-to-apply)
    • Work your way.You get the space and support to let your unique brilliance shine.
    • Create together.You collaborate with bold, diverse voices to create and grow.
    • Have impact.You work on things that matter to feel a sense of purpose every day.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Ahi88

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Just had a quick look and this is what they say on the "Level 7 Graduate Legal Apprenticeship" page:

"Applicants also need to be able to demonstrate knowledge of and a commitment to the BBC and an understanding of the many areas of law, both editorial and commercial, that we deal with on an everyday basis. This includes not only commercial law, litigation, intellectual property, data protection, employment, and competition law, but also an appetite to support all the varied, and sometimes unique, legal needs of one of the creative sector’s biggest employers. Over the course of your training you can also expect to gain experience of responding both to critical issues immediately and providing long-term business support, legal research, writing and drafting in transaction and contentious contexts, interviewing and advising, negotiation, oral presentation and communication. We welcome people from all backgrounds and value previous work experience.

We are looking for bright, commercially-aware, aspiring lawyers who want to work in what we think is the world’s most exciting in-house environment. You will be involved in a wide range of quality legal work from day one. You will be closely supervised by lawyers who are experts in their individual fields, but you will also get a chance to work with business colleagues across the BBC, in different teams, and build your legal career as part of a large and supportive in-house team which makes business-critical contributions to the success of the BBC."
    (https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/how-to-apply)

So in terms of skills, I would say that they are looking for very similar skills as most commercial law firms: commercial awareness, attention to detail, communication, collaboration.

The BBC values appear to be: (https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/how-to-apply)
    • Work your way.You get the space and support to let your unique brilliance shine.
    • Create together.You collaborate with bold, diverse voices to create and grow.
    • Have impact.You work on things that matter to feel a sense of purpose every day.
    Thank you, Andrew! This is really helpful

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M

frog

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Interested if anyone else applied to this? I got an email saying they had extended the deadline and wondered if this was due to them not getting as many applicants as they had hoped? Possibly because of the slightly unusual entry requirements which may have limited the number of people who qualify?

zkj

Standard Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    Interested if anyone else applied to this? I got an email saying they had extended the deadline and wondered if this was due to them not getting as many applicants as they had hoped? Possibly because of the slightly unusual entry requirements which may have limited the number of people who qualify?
    Hey, I've applied to this. I received this email and I was wondering this also.

Alexellen

Jun 30, 2021
    Hi, has anybody else who was expecting to hear back from them today not received an email? I am starting to worry
    Yeah I haven't heard back still!
    I emailed to follow up as I never got a response when I sent in the written assignment so was getting worried they hadn't even got that 😂
    Still not heard anything which is annoying since they gave such a specific date for feedback

simib

• Aug 3, 2023
    Hi! I just applied a week ago and progressed to the next stage, I am quite nervous about the interview questions. Do you remember what type of questions they asked you? What do I specifically prepare for beforehand apart from the general competency?
    Hey! Did you complete the online test for BBC solicitor apprenticeship?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.