Becoming a UK lawyer with International Degree

NikoleDucharme

Oct 21, 2022
Hello!
I'm Canadian, who is currently undertaking my Juris Doctor in Australia. However I'd like to move to England after my degree and practice law there. I'm also planning on doing the GDLP program, which is the practical legal training (i.e. the work experience) so effectively I'll be a fully qualified lawyer in Australia when I move to England. I'll have an international law degree, and only a few weeks of legal training, but I will be officially qualified as a lawyer, so I'm wondering what steps I'll need to take.

Thanks!

Orla

Standard Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2021
Hello!

You will have to complete the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) to qualify as a lawyer in England & Wales. You can read more about the SQE here.

You might qualify for an exemption from part(s) of the SQE assessments - this would depend on your experience. You can find out more about possible exemptions, and further guidance for international lawyers wishing to qualify in the UK, here.

All the very best of luck with the rest of your legal training, and with the move to the UK!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.