Best way to answer "Why should we hire you"?

amritvela

Sep 28, 2019
I'm currently preparing answers to common law firm interview questions and was wondering what would be the best approach/structure to answering "Why should we hire you"? if anyone has any tips?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Think about your USPs and strengths and focus on them.

try to focus on no more than 3 key “attributes” you think are your key selling points that would be stronger than other potential applicants.

try to link them to the firm’s values or competencies they assess against, where you can

Reactions: Daniel Boden

JW

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, when you are talking about your selling points should you provide examples of times where you have shown that specific competency etc? I'm unsure how to go about structuring my answer to a similar question of what my unique selling points are! Thanks :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, when you are talking about your selling points should you provide examples of times where you have shown that specific competency etc? I'm unsure how to go about structuring my answer to a similar question of what my unique selling points are! Thanks :)
    I would always be sure to include examples- these act as evidence that you actually do possess the skills you say you do rather than just arbitrary claims! The STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Response/ Result) structure is a great way to incorporate these and keep a clean, easy-to-follow structure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

In what context is this question? On an application or at interview?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If its not a competency interview is the STAR structure appropriate?

Generally no. STAR only really works in competency questions “tell me about a time you have done X” or if you are trying to demonstrate a particular competency within an answer (with the latter, the A part becomes far less relevant).

To expand on this:

I meant if the question is not actually a competency question (like the one in the thread is “why should we hire you” - that’s not a competency question) then if you are trying to demonstrate a competency within your answer you don’t need the whole rigmarole of STAR format, you can just really to the S/T and R parts (briefly) because otherwise you are not actually answering the question (and potentially going off on a bit of a tangent).

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.