Book recommendations?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Finally finished with this whole law shambabloyyy (this made up word somehow sums how I feel)... I now have time to read good books and I was wondering if anyone had any favourites they would like to share?

Looking forward to seeing some responses :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    A book I've really enjoyed reading recently is Joe Navarro 'What EVERY Body is saying' - really interesting insight into human body language and how to read people which is always helpful for a whole host of situations. Multiple PDF's online of the whole book if you don't mind reading on a screen!

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks both!

The suggestions also remind me of another classic book I have recently heard/read good reviews on - ‘When breath becomes air’ by Paul Kalanithi’!

This book is number one on my list, alongside your suggestions

Reactions: Hazal and Jaysen

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Silly me, I should have explained the plot of the novel. It is a non-fiction autobiography based on Paul (aka the author’s) realisation as a resident neurosurgeon that after weeks of health issues, he is suffering from lung cancer, the book continues to detail Paul’s transition from a doctor to a patient and

SPOILER

He dies

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Flowers in the attic (it’s got like 2/3 sequels or so but I only read the first and second one)

Anyways it was about this lady who left her kids under the care of her mother, the kids’ grandmum. The grandmum put the kids in the attic and they all grew up in there (the kids never left that one room cause they were meant to be hidden).

The novel was acc page-turning cause the children were there from childhood to pre-adulthood

Reactions: Salma and Jaysen

Giles

Standard Member
    TCLA Writer
    Sep 4, 2018
    You may or may not have heard of an author called Oliver Sacks, but any of his books are absolutely fascinating. He was an incredibly intelligent neurologist and his books are collections of really well written anecdotes based on patients and people he had worked with. My favourite two are: "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" and "Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain". Definitely worth reading if you haven't already.

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    I have not read this, but a friend recommended 'Sapiens' to me. I also listened to Russell Brand's podcast 'Under the Skin' where he interviewed the author (whose name I cannot spell so won't bother writing) of it about it. It's about the evolution of society and puts forward some pretty interesting theories about how and why we have evolved as we are today.

There's a pretty interesting part in it which the author compares modern day opinions of historical slavery with how future generations will look at the way in which our generations have raised and slaughtered animals for consumption that wasn't even necessary. This is not vegan propaganda by the way, but the author is also (not surprisingly) a vegan. Interesting nonetheless!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.