Challenge facing the firm at this current moment - Directly criticise the firm or be more generic?

achramore

Sep 14, 2018
I am currently working on this question: What do you understand to be the most significant challenge facing the firm at this current time? What has made you choose this challenge?

I have identified a few points which I think relevant to the question.

However I am very unsure if they want me to actually criticise the firm (but who am I to criticise their business strategy) or do they want me to talk about more a general challenge?

Also I have identified a few challenges which I think big international firms face, however find it difficult to actually apply it to the particular law firm I'm applying to (for example: I don't know if they have hourly rates or offer 'package' prices).

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am currently working on this question: What do you understand to be the most significant challenge facing the firm at this current time? What has made you choose this challenge?

I have identified a few points which I think relevant to the question.

However I am very unsure if they want me to actually criticise the firm (but who am I to criticise their business strategy) or do they want me to talk about more a general challenge?

Also I have identified a few challenges which I think big international firms face, however find it difficult to actually apply it to the particular law firm I'm applying to (for example: I don't know if they have hourly rates or offer 'package' prices).

The question isn't asking you to criticise the firm, although if you find yourself making a critical comment about the firm, that's fine. You can choose something general (like Brexit or AI), or you can be specific to a firm (e.g. Freshfields trying to break into the US market). It's completely up to you.

Being specific just means you understand how an issue would impact the firm. So for example, if you were writing about the role of AI, you wouldn't say: "AI impacts international law firms because..." That's too generic. Instead, you might say: "While Freshfields is already using the AI-based software Neota Logic, rival magic circle law firms are using XYZ..."

The ease of finding this information obviously depends on your topic. But see what you can find about the impact of your challenge on the legal market and then think about how it would impact the law firm, factoring in its market position/competitors/global reach etc., or anything else you know about the firm.

Reactions: Salma

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    What would you say are the 5 top challenges for UK law firms in the City? Cybersecurity; Alternative Business Structures; New fee arrangements making the partnership model outdated; Brexit; American protectionism?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Came across this -- might be useful for these kinds of questions:
    What would you say are the 5 top challenges for UK law firms in the City? Cybersecurity; Alternative Business Structures; New fee arrangements making the partnership model outdated; Brexit; American protectionism?

Depends on the law firm/the time scale we're looking at. It's also quite a subjective choice.

Of the ones you mentioned I'd rank cybersecurity, ABS and Brexit. I'm not convinced of US protectionism or new fee arrangements, but if you can justify them in an answer then by all means.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.