CMS Opportunities 2021/22

shootingstar

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 6, 2020
Hi everyone. I am really hoping to apply for the CMS Academy but I just realised that the application is closing soon and it was on a rolling basis. I was wondering whether anyone has applied late in the cycle and still gotten past the next stages? Thank you!

JusticeJo

Oct 7, 2021
Hi guys,

I thought I should just pop on here and let you know that I am a brand ambassador at CMS for the 2021/22 academic year!

It might be useful for me to share some of the most relevant opportunities CMS has available for this year. Applications for both the CMS Academy and the CMS First Steps are now open, and both close on the 24th of December 2021.

A little bit about CMS Academy: The CMS Academy is an innovative and varied three-week programme, and it is the only route to securing a training contract with the firm. CMS Academy participants across the UK offices spend one week in London; and the week's activities are dedicated to learning the business of law. This includes a client visit, a work simulation exercise, panel discussions and plenty of networking opportunities. The second and third weeks are similar to traditional vacation schemes, where participants are placed in a particular department and are assigned work from a supervisor.

You can learn more about the CMS Academy here: http://ocply.co/cms-ba2021-apply-warw

CMS First Steps: This is a one-week programme where you have the opportunity to shadow a trainee solicitor and take part in various skills sessions. The programme’s blend of practical work experience, skills sessions, trainee shadowing, and networking will build your knowledge and your contacts in equal measure. You will be invited to social events, lunches, and coffee networking where you’ll get to meet representatives from across the firm. Successful completion of this programme fast tracks you to an assessment centre for the CMS Academy programme!

You can learn more about CMS First Steps here: http://ocply.co/cms-ba2021-apply-warw

Now I'll add a few reasons why you should apply to CMS and why I am also deciding to apply to CMS:
  • 90% of participants on CMS Academy receive a training contract!
  • No minimum a level or degree requirements anymore. I am aware that some websites still state that CMS does have minimum a level and degree requirements, but I was told at the training day that this has been scrapped and their website also reflect this, so perhaps the websites have not updated this yet.
  • Future-facing firm that has been quick to embrace technology in all aspects.
  • Offers a good work-life balance compared to other firms of its size.
  • First year trainee salary: £44,500. Second year trainee salary: £49,500. Qualification salary: £82,000 (London Office)
So just to let you know, I just started as a Brand Ambassador so I may not have all the answers to your queries, but if you do have any queries I will contact CMS on your behalf and get back to you as quickly as possible.
Good morning!
I would like to ask if after submitting the Watson Glaser Test, I heard nothing back- does that mean I was unsuccessful this time on passing the test? In one of the webinars I have attended, the firm stated that they would always give applicants feedback regarding their applications?
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Good morning!
    I would like to ask if after submitting the Watson Glaser Test, I heard nothing back- does that mean I was unsuccessful this time on passing the test? In one of the webinars I have attended, the firm stated that they would always give applicants feedback regarding their applications?
    Thank you and Happy Holidays!
    I looked through my emails and I didn't see any WGT test result email. I just got the video interview link a month after. I do know other people have received their post-WGT email two days after submitting and some 16 days. Looks like it varies.

Last edited:

lhlcyrus

Jan 7, 2022
    Hi all!

I just received the invitation to do the video interview. What I currently understand is that they may ask about my achievements and knowledge in their sectors, and they may give me a hypothetic situation (e.g. I'm missing a deadline what do I do) etc. and ask me what I would do.

I just wonder if they would ask about what I wrote on my own application (e.g. the answers I gave and my background)?

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hi all!

I just received the invitation to do the video interview. What I currently understand is that they may ask about my achievements and knowledge in their sectors, and they may give me a hypothetic situation (e.g. I'm missing a deadline what do I do) etc. and ask me what I would do.

I just wonder if they would ask about what I wrote on my own application (e.g. the answers I gave and my background)?
    Highly doubt they will do this! My understanding is that there is a question bank, not tailored to any particular candidate, thats testing what you know about the firm and the way you would react in different scenarios.

danbdow

Nov 19, 2021
    Does anyone know if there's a way to chase up grad recruitment? I submitted my VI on the 22nd November and haven't heard anything since. I understand we've just gone through holiday season but given that others have been receiving AC invites, somebody must be on top of things! Just slightly concerned that my application has slipped through the cracks.

I applied for a Scottish office if that makes any difference.

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Does anyone know if there's a way to chase up grad recruitment? I submitted my VI on the 22nd November and haven't heard anything since. I understand we've just gone through holiday season but given that others have been receiving AC invites, somebody must be on top of things! Just slightly concerned that my application has slipped through the cracks.

Hiya, I understand your concern, I do remember waiting at least 3 weeks for them to get back to me. AC invites have mostly gone out to the people who did the first batch of VI's, so im expecting that there will be another batch of AC's perhaps even this week. I'd be happy to chase it up for you if you havent heard by the end of this week. Is that okay?

Reactions: danbdow

NW Law

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Scotland might be different - but from what I have been informed with the applications (generally) is that they have a benchmark. Certain individuals are fast-tracked to an AC immediately (this may be through previous experiences with the firm). PFO's are also sent out where the benchmark hasn't been met on candidates, they continuously review this. Ultimately, if you submitted an application and completed a video interview in November your chances of actually getting an AC increase as the time goes on - I have said this before with CMS it really is 'no news is good news'. If you're at the stage where you haven't heard back yet it is likely because they are seriously considering a bunch of applications and still making decisions. I was told most of the decisions should be coming out this week - but if you hadn't heard anything around the 20th-21st I would recommend giving grad recruitment a call or email for them to look into it for you.

Hope this helps!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Hi I emailed yesterday as I'm on a similar timeline to you and they said we'd hear by end of the week. I got to AC last year so hoped I would make it to AC again :(

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.