CV section: bullet points or paragraph?

KetchupQueen

Feb 21, 2024
I was under the impression that the CV section of one's application should be kept succinct, and well, in CV-like form with bullet points. However, a friend who has been successful in securing a TC at a top firm told me she had written out her work experience more elaborately, as an explanatory paragraph. Is one method preferable over the other? Do bullet points look lazy or organised?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was under the impression that the CV section of one's application should be kept succinct, and well, in CV-like form with bullet points. However, a friend who has been successful in securing a TC at a top firm told me she had written out her work experience more elaborately, as an explanatory paragraph. Is one method preferable over the other? Do bullet points look lazy or organised?
I’d say bullet points are best in the vast majority of situations when it is a CV.

It is different if you are writing it within an application though. If your friend wrote this in an application form it would be a different approach.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker is right in this, using bullet points on CV is widely accepted and way better to structure everything in a succinct and concise way.

The situation changes when it comes to law firm applications. Many in fact seems to prefer more written out descriptions of what you did and also the skills you've developed.

I totally understand your confusion because when I started applying last year I was using bullet points, however attending an event at a law firm made me aware that graduate recruitment themselves do want written descriptions and tend to disregard bullet points.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.