Davis Polk Cover Letter

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
Should I format it like a proper letter with an address and date and everything or just get straight to writing? I was told to limit it to a page and a half so adding that extra stuff would take away quite a lot of space.
Thanks!

• 🤝
Reactions: Law2022

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Should I format it like a proper letter with an address and date and everything or just get straight to writing? I was told to limit it to a page and a half so adding that extra stuff would take away quite a lot of space.
    Thanks!

I've seen a range of approaches based on the Davis Polk covering letters that have been submitted to us for review. If you haven't heard otherwise, it may be best to play it safe and at least keep the firm's address in.

B1806

Distinguished Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    I've seen a range of approaches based on the Davis Polk covering letters that have been submitted to us for review. If you haven't heard otherwise, it may be best to play it safe and at least keep the firm's address in.
    Thank you, I'll do that and just decrease the font a bit! :D

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Would it be advisable to limit the cover letter's length to just a page, rather than a page and a half? Their former Legal Recruiting manager recommended the shorter option in a 2015 post on the Warwick Uni Careers Blog (https://careersblog.warwick.ac.uk/2015/10/12/8-top-tips-for-application-success/), although I suppose it is not out of the question that her successor takes a different stance - do you feel that it would be unwise to extend the cover letter any further than a page?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.