Debevoise & Plimpton

Chido

Sep 3, 2018
I was just wondering, could you please be able to give an me idea what this question means;

'Please tell us about a recent commercial deal that has captured your interest. If you could represent a side, which would it be and why?'
Its from the application form for Debevoise & Plimpton.

Also, 'Please tell us something that not many people know about you?' is this a trick question?

Thank you,
Chido

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
wow the commercial awareness question is really a headscratcher!

Personally, I would pick a prominent deal that has been receiving a lot of attention and news coverage. this is for research sake as the more that has been discussed, the easier it is to to find out a lot of relevant info. and form my own opinions. I will then put myself in the shoes of the party who is in decision-making position to answer this question. For instance, if I was to pick the recent Comcast/ Fox/Disney bid for Sky, I would put myself in the shoes of Sky's shareholder to present opinions on whose bid I would prefer or how to go about the process. I guess you can also put yourself in the shoes of one of the bidders such as Comcast or Disney and present a side on how you may want to go about winning the bid, although I think this is a trickier position to take (this deal has been closed lask week tho, I just want to use it to give example)

The question asks for commercial deal so i think you cannot talk about just any commercial event, i.e. US-China trade war, as a general topic and offer your own opinion on the subject. If I was you, I'd pick a single deal between companies to present a side, rather than a macro economic event in order to ensure I correctly answer the question.

I'm not sure how to approach the second question... you may want to wait for more responses from other members. Sorry!

hope this somehow helps.

Reactions: Chido

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    wow the commercial awareness question is really a headscratcher!

Personally, I would pick a prominent deal that has been receiving a lot of attention and news coverage. this is for research sake as the more that has been discussed, the easier it is to to find out a lot of relevant info. and form my own opinions. I will then put myself in the shoes of the party who is in decision-making position to answer this question. For instance, if I was to pick the recent Comcast/ Fox/Disney bid for Sky, I would put myself in the shoes of Sky's shareholder to present opinions on whose bid I would prefer or how to go about the process. I guess you can also put yourself in the shoes of one of the bidders such as Comcast or Disney and present a side on how you may want to go about winning the bid, although I think this is a trickier position to take (this deal has been closed lask week tho, I just want to use it to give example)

The question asks for commercial deal so i think you cannot talk about just any commercial event, i.e. US-China trade war, as a general topic and offer your own opinion on the subject. If I was you, I'd pick a single deal between companies to present a side, rather than a macro economic event in order to ensure I correctly answer the question.

I'm not sure how to approach the second question... you may want to wait for more responses from other members. Sorry!

hope this somehow helps.

This is good advice.

The second question is not a trick question. If it's easier, imagine it's asking: "Tell us an interesting fact about you", which -- if you've ever attended an assessment centre -- is quite often the opening question. It's the firm's way of getting to know you.

Reactions: Salma and Chido

Kim LD

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    Hello! Just a quick question regarding Debevoise. I noticed they changed their deadline from November 11 to December 16. Any reason why? I submitted my application before the Nov 11 deadline and did not hear back from them yet.

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hello! Just a quick question regarding Debevoise. I noticed they changed their deadline from November 11 to December 16. Any reason why? I submitted my application before the Nov 11 deadline and did not hear back from them yet.

They're non-rolling applications so I don't think anyone will have heard back yet! I noticed the deadline change too, but notably, it has always said that applicants will be able to apply until mid-December on the website, even when the deadline was November 11. Honestly have no clue why the deadline was changed I'm afraid

Kim LD

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    They're non-rolling applications so I don't think anyone will have heard back yet! I noticed the deadline change too, but notably, it has always said that applicants will be able to apply until mid-December on the website, even when the deadline was November 11. Honestly have no clue why the deadline was changed I'm afraid

Thanks for the info John! Let's just hope it's nothing important :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.