Dechert application

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Am currently applying to Dechert and the two (easy) questions are making me think harder than usual.

Q1 Please explain why you want to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you would like to practice at Dechert.

Q2: Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?

There's a fair bit of overlap between 1 and 2 - was wondering if anyone has done the application before?

I'm thinking more of answering culture + d&I + international experience for Q1 and for Q2 focus more on their business model. Thoughts?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Am currently applying to Dechert and the two (easy) questions are making me think harder than usual.

Q1 Please explain why you want to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you would like to practice at Dechert.

Q2: Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?

There's a fair bit of overlap between 1 and 2 - was wondering if anyone has done the application before?

I'm thinking more of answering culture + d&I + international experience for Q1 and for Q2 focus more on their business model. Thoughts?

I think it’s important to remember the questions are asking different things. There might be an overlap in content but the approach will be different between them. For example you may want to work at Dechert because of its international reach, but that might also be a reason clients hire them. The difference however is in question 1, they want to know why you want to work at Dechert because of its international reach. What interests you about it? What experiences have led to this motivation? The second question wants to see your commercial understanding. Why would a client want to hire Dechert for its international reach?

Reactions: Jaysen

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018

When I applied to Dechert last year, I approached these as separate questions with little overlap.

Q1 is asking more about you, whereas Q2 is more about the client's perspective, the business of the law firm and what is Dechert's competitive advantage within the legal market (as you have referred to with the business model).

I tried to put myself in the shoes of a Dechert lawyer pitching to a prospective client and considered how the firm adds value to clients where other firms cannot.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.