Difficult question

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I was thinking along these lines: I always complete tasks to the best of my ability and it is only through further understanding of a department's work that you learn to appreciate the tasks and challenges involved.
I suppose you could also give an example of a time when you had to complete tasks in work experience that were not challenging (and you didn't enjoy) but relevant in terms of the firm's bigger picture.

If anyone has any advice?

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I was thinking along these lines: I always complete tasks to the best of my ability and it is only through further understanding of a department's work that you learn to appreciate the tasks and challenges involved.
    I suppose you could also give an example of a time when you had to complete tasks in work experience that were not challenging (and you didn't enjoy) but relevant in terms of the firm's bigger picture.

If anyone has any advice?

Sounds good so far. I'd just add, the question is asking "what would you do?", so you may want to directly address this. Think about the steps you'd take to respond to this scenario. For example, as a starting point, you might first want to identify what aspects of work you weren't enjoying - it's quite broad to say you don't like a whole department's work as the individual work for different partners is likely to be very different.

Reactions: Helena

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Has anyone been asked "why haven't you done a VS ?" I think it's something that can be asked and is quite difficult to answer in my opinion.
    Never been asked that but if you haven't applied to other vacation schemes before I would discuss how you've shifted your focus to a legal career/gaining practical work experience and that you've confirmed your interest in law in other ways/through other experiences which is why you're starting now.

If you've never done one because you haven't previously been successful, I would use this as an opportunity to show how you've developed your skills since previously applying! Ie. to understand what is involved in a legal career, what law firms, you've attended insight days etc.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Salma and Helena

datguyak

Esteemed Member
    Nov 20, 2018
    Has anyone been asked "why haven't you done a VS ?" I think it's something that can be asked and is quite difficult to answer in my opinion.

I got asked this and as a follow up was it because I only recently decided I wanted to do commercial law- I was honest and just said at uni wanted to focus on exams and explained that it wasnt a recent decision- I also said I had tried before and was rejected in other apps- I got the feeling it was more just to see that I was not applying for TC for the hell of it but it was actually a considered approach

hope that helps a bit :)

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I got asked this and as a follow up was it because I only recently decided I wanted to do commercial law- I was honest and just said at uni wanted to focus on exams and explained that it wasnt a recent decision- I also said I had tried before and was rejected in other apps- I got the feeling it was more just to see that I was not applying for TC for the hell of it but it was actually a considered approach

hope that helps a bit :)

That really helps - thank you.

Reactions: datguyak

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.