Discouraged

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
Here's some background, I graduated from Cardiff Uni with a low 2:1, my module marks have a mixture of 2:2 and 2:1, and went on to do my LLM in UoB. My A-Levels were pretty mediocre with an ABBB (doing four subjects actually saved me from a few applications because firms often want AAB) However, when it comes to applying to firms like Allen & Overy and Slaughter & May, which have a reputation of hiring trainees from Oxbridge or 1st class students from Russell Group unis with immaculate A-Levels results, I feel discouraged and wonder if there is much point in applying when I can focus my efforts on other firms.

Can anyone advise me if I should go on with my A&O / S&M application or my chances are still pretty high on gaining a vacation scheme spot with them?

LawGal

Sep 13, 2018
Here's some background, I graduated from Cardiff Uni with a low 2:1, my module marks have a mixture of 2:2 and 2:1, and went on to do my LLM in UoB. My A-Levels were pretty mediocre with an ABBB (doing four subjects actually saved me from a few applications because firms often want AAB) However, when it comes to applying to firms like Allen & Overy and Slaughter & May, which have a reputation of hiring trainees from Oxbridge or 1st class students from Russell Group unis with immaculate A-Levels results, I feel discouraged and wonder if there is much point in applying when I can focus my efforts on other firms.

Can anyone advise me if I should go on with my A&O / S&M application or my chances are still pretty high on gaining a vacation scheme spot with them?

I know exactly how you feel! I graduated with a low 2:1 and I went to do my LPC part-time (I am in my second year now). I spoke to S&M a couple of times about my grades, they were very honest and told me that they were looking for a "high 2:1" (65 or above) and evidence of grades improving over the years. So I never bother applying to them. I am not sure about A&O, however, they have not indicated that they require a high 2:1. However, I am not letting my low 2:1 discourage me and it shouldn't discourage you either! There are plenty of firms out there that just have a 2:1 benchmark and then go on to consider your application, extra curriculum and work experience.

Reactions: yanerlim and Yminh

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018

law fair at bristol uni is tomorrow and A&O will be there. I'll ask them for you

• 🤝
Reactions: LawGal, yanerlim and Nicole

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

You will have a harder time with Slaughter and May, although I wouldn't completely rule out your chances of securing a vacation scheme. Just make sure you nail your application.

Reactions: yanerlim and Sandrou

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I side with all the above.

The only firm I've encountered that specifically asked/questioned my grades was Slaughters.

Even then, this shouldn't rule you out entirely.

kaveesha

Star Member
    TCLA Writer
    Mar 22, 2018
    Yep, heard the same with Slaughters - when I went for to the law fair in Exe, they actually mentioned they're looking more for those with 1sts as a lot of applicants have high 2.1s but I dont know if they still take this view.

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Probably saying something we all already know, but, this is a fiercely competitive process! It can be demoralising, depressing and soul destroying, if you let it.

All you, I or anyone applying during this process can do is to keep going and not let concern or anxiety act as a barrier - easier said than done, I know. There are enough barriers already! Yes grades matter. More so earlier on than if you’ve completed degree, gdl, lpc and have good work exp to compensate. Yes some firms still use stupidddddddddddddd filters or grounds to reject. I’m sure some Partners in the current climate wouldn’t get in to their firms!
    But what’s stopping you from applying. Apply you might get rejected , but there’s just a tiny chance you progress. Don’t apply, there not even a 0.00001% chance of any success. Manage your expectations, apply with your eyes open and potential likelihood of success. Consider the potential effort required for the application compared to potential success.

Having said all of the above, personally, given my own less than perfect grades I wouldn’t apply to the firms already mentioned lol

P. Dybala

Star Member
    Aug 2, 2018
    Probably saying something we all already know, but, this is a fiercely competitive process! It can be demoralising, depressing and soul destroying, if you let it.

All you, I or anyone applying during this process can do is to keep going and not let concern or anxiety act as a barrier - easier said than done, I know. There are enough barriers already! Yes grades matter. More so earlier on than if you’ve completed degree, gdl, lpc and have good work exp to compensate. Yes some firms still use stupidddddddddddddd filters or grounds to reject. I’m sure some Partners in the current climate wouldn’t get in to their firms!
    But what’s stopping you from applying. Apply you might get rejected , but there’s just a tiny chance you progress. Don’t apply, there not even a 0.00001% chance of any success. Manage your expectations, apply with your eyes open and potential likelihood of success. Consider the potential effort required for the application compared to potential success.

Having said all of the above, personally, given my own less than perfect grades I wouldn’t apply to the firms already mentioned lol

Love it mate !! Wise words

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    On that note, does anyone of you know which firms use an automatic filter for module grades? Let's say you got 72% overall but you have one 45% in your 1st year. Is there a firm that will automatically throw you out?

Felicia

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    On that note, does anyone of you know which firms use an automatic filter for module grades? Let's say you got 72% overall but you have one 45% in your 1st year. Is there a firm that will automatically throw you out?

I went to a Law Society TC event this weekend and the Graduate Recruitment Manager from Shearman and Sterling stated that his firm looks at specific modules as part of your overall degree classification. Depending on the firm and what they do, Contract Law and Tort Law will be looked out for. He said that a low grade in Contract Law (which is the module his firm pays particular attention to) may be reason enough for a rejection :/

Reactions: P. Dybala

P. Dybala

Star Member
    Aug 2, 2018
    Oh wow, can i ask why in particular firms look at contract law? I have read this from Law Careers Net as well that contract law is so crucial ...why?

I mean I understand that the essence of contract offer acceptance consideration makes up the foundation of whatever corporate lawyers do. But why the focus on contract law though?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Oh wow, can i ask why in particular firms look at contract law? I have read this from Law Careers Net as well that contract law is so crucial ...why?

I mean I understand that the essence of contract offer acceptance consideration makes up the foundation of whatever corporate lawyers do. But why the focus on contract law though?

As you said, contract law is the module that has the most relevance to commercial lawyers and a large proportion of what commercial lawyers do involves drafting/negotiating contract terms. I don't think it's a great measure, but it's true, many law firms will factor in your contract law module grade when assessing the strength of your application. (So if you have one weak grade, it's better this is in criminal or family law, for example.)

Reactions: P. Dybala

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I went to a Law Society TC event this weekend and the Graduate Recruitment Manager from Shearman and Sterling stated that his firm looks at specific modules as part of your overall degree classification. Depending on the firm and what they do, Contract Law and Tort Law will be looked out for. He said that a low grade in Contract Law (which is the module his firm pays particular attention to) may be reason enough for a rejection :/

What if you studied a non-law degree? My issue is that although I graduated with a first-class degree, I had an extremely bad first year scoring only 49% (though I have approved mitigating circumstances from the Uni).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.