Discouraged

Kim LD

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
I went to a Law Society TC event this weekend and the Graduate Recruitment Manager from Shearman and Sterling stated that his firm looks at specific modules as part of your overall degree classification. Depending on the firm and what they do, Contract Law and Tort Law will be looked out for. He said that a low grade in Contract Law (which is the module his firm pays particular attention to) may be reason enough for a rejection :/

Thanks for the info Felicia. Do you know what is the minimum they're looking for for contract law?

Felicia

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for the info Felicia. Do you know what is the minimum they're looking for for contract law?

Very welcome, no unfortunately no minimum was stated. I would however take what he said with a pinch of salt. I highly doubt (and hope that this would be the case), that a candidate would be rejected despite having a good application and good overall degree grade just because their grade in contract law might not have been the best

Reactions: Salma and Kim LD

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Very welcome, no unfortunately no minimum was stated. I would however take what he said with a pinch of salt. I highly doubt (and hope that this would be the case), that a candidate would be rejected despite having a good application and good overall degree grade just because their grade in contract law might not have been the best

I echo the above, do not be so pedantic with small things such as the average required for contract law. If you have the overall degree they are looking for, don’t stress. It will eat you alive, just like it did for me hahaha

To reassure (I hope), I got 58% for contract law and I have not once (don’t jinx me) been asked at interviews why I achieved the above grade.

Reactions: Kim LD

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
I echo the above, do not be so pedantic with small things such as the average required for contract law. If you have the overall degree they are looking for, don’t stress. It will eat you alive, just like it did for me hahaha

To reassure (I hope), I got 58% for contract law and I have not once (don’t jinx me) been asked at interviews why I achieved the above grade.

That's reassuring, I also got 58!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.