DLA Piper Application

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Would anyone be happy to tell me what sections you included in your CV/Did you include a profile?
I submitted my standard one-page CV with my application. I try to find a nice balance between showing experience, strengths and some of my personality and motivations. It has the following:
Education - college modules and grades, a summary of my university achievements (highest grades, year averages) and some extracurriculars.
Work experience - my last two positions of responsibility with an outline of my duties and prizes/awards won.
Background - summarizes my previous career and why I decided to change careers.
Hobbies - I run and do philanthropy in my spare time.
Key skills - half a dozen skills which I believe are my strength and are relevant to being a trainee.

Reactions: NadineBusty

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
Does anyone know if DLA Piper accepts applications from final-year law students? They seem to have conflicting information on their website and application portal? :( It says this on the portal:

If you do not meet the application criteria below, your application will be unsuccessful:
  • Tier 4 student visa
  • Penultimate year of a 3-year law undergraduate degree
or
  • Final year of a non-law undergraduate degree
I spoke to the brand ambassador at my university and he said it's only their recommended candidates but I'm feeling a bit restless.

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
I saw that my submission status was updated on the 07/12/2020 on the portal (I applied & completed the WG test in October), but I have still not heard back since regarding the outcome of my DLA Piper application. Is anyone in the same boat? Thanks :)

Reactions: AW_08

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Does anyone know if DLA Piper accepts applications from final-year law students? They seem to have conflicting information on their website and application portal? :( It says this on the portal:

If you do not meet the application criteria below, your application will be unsuccessful:
  • Tier 4 student visa
  • Penultimate year of a 3-year law undergraduate degree
or
  • Final year of a non-law undergraduate degree
I spoke to the brand ambassador at my university and he said it's only their recommended candidates but I'm feeling a bit restless.
Are you an international student? Because that criteria only applies to international candidates.

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back from DLA, but I'm currently prepping for an AC with clifford chance, so if you're interested we could form a study group to prep the commercial awareness stuff?

Hi, sorry to jump in, I'm also currently prepping for an AC with Clifford chance, so very happy to share ideas or join the study group!

• 🤝
Reactions: JT2023hopeful and FL0011

JT2023hopeful

Oct 12, 2020
When you submit the WG test for DLA - do you receive a confirmation email or can you see that it has been completed when you login? I can't see either!

I emailed grad recruitment and they said that they don't send a confirmation. The screen reads a little message confirming it has been completed and that is the only confirmation we get.

H.N.

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 22
Jul 28, 2020
Hey everybody, I have received an AC invite from DLA today!
Just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to prepare?

I did an AC with them last year and was made a TC offer after the virtual scheme (didn't accept). Happy to provide some advice though!!

CV interview

To prepare for this part of the interview adequately, understand where DLA as a law firm is going, and reflect this in terms of what you want from your own career. I think the things they like to hear are about how well you can fit to their values, the work they do, and also the ‘One UK’ approach- people are often put off about DLA because of their regional presence, but this isn’t reflective of the work they do as each firm gets to work on the ‘cutting edge’ rather than what some firms do which is export their more mundane work to the regions. DLA also have SUCH a clear vision for their future in terms of being their clients’ trusted *business* advisors as well as their legal advisors. this shows that they’re keeping in line with how the legal profession is changing and thus offers a more holistic /commercial approach to training there compared to some very traditional law firms that limit themselves to providing legal advice and that’s it. If you refer to the firm’s collaborative and collegiate nature (I’ve never seen a firm more truthful when they say they’re collegiate) then also link in how you and the firm both value relationship building- most of DLA’s clients are long-term clients- this tells you a lot about the quality of the work the firm does and how they continually adapt their business to be able to respond to clients’ changing demands. A good example of this would be all the free resources they released for clients and generally anyone who fell across their website on pandemic support.

Also, know your CV inside out. Be prepared to be asked about your experiences at university- why did you choose your university? Why your degree? What has been your favourite module? They’ll also likely dig into your work experience and ask you to substantiate- I had a part-time job and the chap was a huge shopper at the store so we spent a good 10 mins just discussing why I chose to work there, how long I work, what I enjoy about it, and then linked to the competency questions, how I managed working up to 20 hours a week whilst maintaining a solid First. DLA like all-rounders so they’ll likely also bring up what you do in your spare time- be honest here and try to show a real passion for the stuff you do outside of study.

Generally just prepare for competency questions too. I did this by tying up competencies they look for with the values they hold. Try to use different examples for every question too and use the STAR structure. Be precise in how you express yourself too.

Group Exercise

Im not quite sure if this will be replicated via the online assessment centre but I’ll go through it anyway. You’re given a booklet of information about a company and there’s several tasks to go through. You’re given 15 mins ( I think) at the start, to just read and then there’s an hour ( I think) to work as a group to solve all the tasks. I don’t think there’s anything particular you can do to prep for this exercise and there’s not much commercial awareness required either. The purpose of the task is how you communicate with others, and how you go about the tasks.

Case study

Split your time 50/50. Use half an hour to read the case study material, and use the other half to prepare the presentation. Ensure you know *exactly* what the brief requires. They’re not looking for you to be comprehensive in identifying every issue, but more at whether you can assimilate that much information in a short period of time and adequately present on it.

I’d recommend structuring your presentation as following.

Introduction- outline what you’re going to discuss, show an awareness of who you are in the case study (i.e. you would speak a lot differently if you were speaking to a Partner as opposed to the client themselves), make a verbal note that there’s a lot more information that you could deal with, but you’re going to focus on the 3 most important aspects but that you’re happy to follow up on the subsidiary elements later.

Main body- in referring to the brief, address all the elements, justifying any premise you put forward with the case study material. Can't be more specific here as I know their case study changes yearly!

Conclusion- repeat what you outlined in your introduction, summarising your key advice and invite questions.

Good luck!!!!

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
Hey guys, I sent in my application on the 17th but still have not received an invite to the WG. Is anyone else experiencing this as well? Should I reach out to graduate recruitment?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.