Do firms typically reimburse travel costs to open days?

User84

Sep 2, 2021
Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if it's typical for firms to reimburse travel costs for open days? I attend university up in the north and, while I was checking out train tickets to London for the coming November, it costs over £200 for a return ticket. Now, I'm thinking this isn't feasible if I want to attend multiple open days on different days - it seems that my only option is to apply for offices nearer to where I live unless ticket costs can be reimbursed. Has anyone else ran into this issue (not that I mind too much applying for more northern offices, a TC is a TC at the end of a day if an open day gets the ball rolling).

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if it's typical for firms to reimburse travel costs for open days? I attend university up in the north and, while I was checking out train tickets to London for the coming November, it costs over £200 for a return ticket. Now, I'm thinking this isn't feasible if I want to attend multiple open days on different days - it seems that my only option is to apply for offices nearer to where I live unless ticket costs can be reimbursed. Has anyone else ran into this issue (not that I mind too much applying for more northern offices, a TC is a TC at the end of a day if an open day gets the ball rolling).
Yes - most of the large firms will. They may cap it at around £150, but hopefully you’d get enough notice that you might find it was under that anyway. Some firms will even flex their expense caps for people travelling longer distances.

Reactions: AvniD

User84

Sep 2, 2021
Yes - most of the large firms will. They may cap it at around £150, but hopefully you’d get enough notice that you might find it was under that anyway. Some firms will even flex their expense caps for people travelling longer distances.
Thank you Jessica, I'll send some emails out to graduate recruiters and hopefully the firms will cover me (if I'm successful, that is).

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021

Can't speak for open days but for interviews, 99% of firms have reimbursed me for travel expenses. Interestingly, one big firm didn't(their revenues are in the billions..)

Best bet is to check up on their policies beforehand. Hope you enjoy the open days should you attend.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.