Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Smart casual

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Casual

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fadin

Sep 8, 2018
A bit of a weird one but I'm sort of new to this so apologies. I'm attending the BSN's Big Conversation event tomorrow at Linklaters in the evening and I'm not sure if I should go formal with a suit, smart casual or casual? I've emailed BSN but not entirely sure I'll get a response before the event. Essentially, it is a talk by several speakers on racial inequality in the legal profession and the law - so not a careers fair/event/presentation.

Any advice is appreciated :)

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
A small story

One of my close friends went to an event they had stated please wear smart causal.

He decided to turn up in Chinos and a formal shirt when he reached there, everyone was in a suit he was the only one standing out all FOR THE WRONG reasons

With a black/dark blue suit you can’t go wrong whether it is a party or interview.

• Haha
  • ℹ️
Reactions: AlRJ, Fadin and jess889

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
I think smart casual is wearing a suit without a tie.

This is what I tend to do if I see its a relaxed atmosphere, I normally dont wear my tie to such events but a formal attire is a must.

Agreed. On guys I think a shirt and trousers/chinos also technically counts as smart casual. You could probably past with it for these types of events, but it's not really ideal.

Isn't there also such a thing as business casual?

Reactions: Fadin and Varun S

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
A small story

One of my close friends went to an event they had stated please wear smart causal.

He decided to turn up in Chinos and a formal shirt when he reached there, everyone was in a suit he was the only one standing out all FOR THE WRONG reasons

With a black/dark blue suit you can’t go wrong whether it is a party or interview.

Grey also works! I think black suits on guys is more funeral type attire :p

Fadin

Sep 8, 2018
Thank you all for the replies! :)

I feel more comfortable wearing a suit anyways since I wore one for two years straight at Sixth Form.

BSN also replied and said either formal or smart casual.

I'll post back if anything interesting comes up during the discussion.

Reactions: Campbell44

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.