European Super League

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    A Super Small League now then

Small GIF by memecandy
    I was hoping for this story to drag on for days like Gamestop but it will be done by the end of this week.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was hoping for this story to drag on for days like Gamestop but it will be done by the end of this week.
    I think there will still be a lot to discuss....

What penalties are placed on the six clubs? If none are placed on them, how do we justify fining other clubs for breaking their regulations/rules through points deductions?

How does this impact UEFA’s plans for the CL, especially given their 2 x two places based on “coefficients” rather than performance?

How will the ownership of English clubs be impacted? Will owners sell-up? Will the FA/UK government try to implement something like the 50+1 rule in Germany?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

What penalties are placed on the six clubs? If none are placed on them, how do we justify fining other clubs for breaking their regulations/rules through points deductions?

How does this impact UEFA’s plans for the CL, especially given their 2 x two places based on “coefficients” rather than performance?

How will the ownership of English clubs be impacted? Will owners sell-up? Will the FA/UK government try to implement something like the 50+1 rule in Germany?
    Yes I heard about the 50+1 rule last night when watching ESPN FC. I think it is a good proposal for English clubs to adopt.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Given that Birmingham City was deducted 9 points for effectively signing a £2.5 million player in 2019 I think these punishments could be pretty severe to say the least...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Given that Birmingham City was deducted 9 points for effectively signing a £2.5 million player in 2019 I think these punishments could be pretty severe to say the least...
    They won’t be though. They won’t want to push the big boys too far. They should be punished and highly in my view but I just can’t see it happening for fear.

My argument is that if they were happy to get involved in a league whether performance ultimately didn’t matter, they shouldn’t get their merit payments for 5 years. Would be worth about £150m a year across the six teams, and that could be redistributed to lower league clubs...

Looks like we know get to fight against a British Super League including Celtic and Rangers and a reduced league of 18 teams....

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I am a bit confused about the 50+1 rule as I am still confused about it. Does it mean that fans have 50% - 1 ownership in the football club.
    I think it means that fans have 50% of the shares + 1 share i.e. the tiniest majority to give them the controlling stake and the necessary voting rights

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    They won’t be though. They won’t want to push the big boys too far. They should be punished and highly in my view but I just can’t see it happening for fear.

My argument is that if they were happy to get involved in a league whether performance ultimately didn’t matter, they shouldn’t get their merit payments for 5 years. Would be worth about £150m a year across the six teams, and that could be redistributed to lower league clubs...

Looks like we know get to fight against a British Super League including Celtic and Rangers and a reduced league of 18 teams....
    To be fair, as a Rangers fan I would love to see us in a bigger league against better teams. An injection of cashflow from bigger fixtures would give us a fighting chance in Europe, attracting bigger names to the club etc.

Scottish football is completely stagnant and there's no money in it, it simply goes between us and Celtic winning and it means that other teams only actually get to fight for third place.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    To be fair, as a Rangers fan I would love to see us in a bigger league against better teams. Scottish football is completely stagnant and there's no money in it, it simply goes between us and Celtic winning and it means that other teams only actually get to fight for third place.
    I've always wondered this, why is it that we have Welsh teams in the EFL but no Scottish teams?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've always wondered this, why is it that we have Welsh teams in the EFL but no Scottish teams?
    A Welsh league didn't exist when the teams were formed - in fact it didn't exist until 1992, so their participation in the EFL had happened for many decades by the time there was a Welsh league.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To be fair, as a Rangers fan I would love to see us in a bigger league against better teams. An injection of cashflow from bigger fixtures would give us a fighting chance in Europe, attracting bigger names to the club etc.

Scottish football is completely stagnant and there's no money in it, it simply goes between us and Celtic winning and it means that other teams only actually get to fight for third place.
    It would probably kill off an already stagnant league.

Fortunately this just seems to be a rubbish rumour from an awful newspaper (don't buy The Sun folks) and doesn't actually seen to have any weight to it.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Yeah precisely - as well as what Jessica mentions. Plus, Rugby is far and away the bigger sport in Wales so I'm not convinced there would've been the demand (though that is pure conjecture from my part).

Back in the day (I mean up to the 1990s, really) Scotland's football landscape was much much more competitive. There were at least four or five teams who had a realistic shout of winning at the start of each year and there was good enough money in the game up here that Scottish teams could genuinely compete in Europe, for example we won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 against Dynamo Moscow and Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 against Inter Milan (although let's not focus on that too much... 🔵🔵).

That's since completely stagnated, a lot of the money has left the Scottish football leagues, massively exacerbated by us being relegated for financial difficulties back in the 2010s and having to fight our way back up to the top. There's been little in the way of substantive investment in Scottish football now for quite some time, being part of a British Super League equivalent would genuinely turn that on its head. It would take Rangers and Celtic each 2 or 3 seasons to really compete in it, but building up that budget over time I genuinely think the Scottish teams could be a force in a league like that.

• ℹ️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah precisely - as well as what Jessica mentions. Plus, Rugby is far and away the bigger sport in Wales so I'm not convinced there would've been the demand (though that is pure conjecture from my part).

Back in the day (I mean up to the 1990s, really) Scotland's football landscape was much much more competitive. There were at least four or five teams who had a realistic shout of winning at the start of each year and there was good enough money in the game up here that Scottish teams could genuinely compete in Europe, for example we won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 against Dynamo Moscow and Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 against Inter Milan (although let's not focus on that too much... 🔵🔵).

That's since completely stagnated, a lot of the money has left the Scottish football leagues, massively exacerbated by us being relegated for financial difficulties back in the 2010s and having to fight our way back up to the top. There's been little in the way of substantive investment in Scottish football now for quite some time, being part of a British Super League equivalent would genuinely turn that on its head. It would take Rangers and Celtic each 2 or 3 seasons to really compete in it, but building up that budget over time I genuinely think the Scottish teams could be a force in a league like that.
    I'm not overly convinced they would.

It basically would mean restructuring the premier league and pushing 72 English League clubs down the table. I can't see that happening. I think it would benefit the two Scottish clubs, but I don't really see it benefitting any English clubs at all. The reduction in league games alone would be a revenue killer rather than generator.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'm not overly convinced they would.

It basically would mean restructuring the premier league and pushing 72 English League clubs down the table. I can't see that happening. I think it would benefit the two Scottish clubs, but I don't really see it benefitting any English clubs at all. The reduction in league games alone would be a revenue killer rather than generator.
    Yeah I think you're right, to be honest. As much as I'd love to see it from a personal perspective, it would cause uproar much in the same way the ESL did for all the same reasons.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

A Welsh league didn't exist when the teams were formed - in fact it didn't exist until 1992, so their participation in the EFL had happened for many decades by the time there was a Welsh league.
    Thank you both that's really interesting :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.