Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Sorry to be posting yet another thread but I've been mulling this one over for a little while.

I'm a recent graduate so I've left the bubble of societies, volunteering opportunities and sports clubs back at university. Ever since then, I've been stuck in a rut of part-time work (looking to go into a full-time role soon) and application writing and haven't done much in the way of extra-curricular activities apart from reading and video gaming - quite anti-social activities.

When answering questions about extra-curriculars and positions of responsibility, do we strictly have to stick to present-day examples? I don't want to talk about the past too much but my wealth of experiences are, pretty much, in my past. For example, while in the present I attend a coding course, my previous passion was writing journalistically and where I divested a lot of time and energy

So:
1) does anyone have any tips for getting involved with extra-curriculars while in part-time/full-time work? I don't want to join the gym just for the sake of it? And volunteering opportunities often restrict in terms of volunteering during weekdays only. What does everyone else do beyond uni?
2) does anyone know any news channels that accept amateur writing so I can continue writing journalistically as a hobby, as I did at uni?
3) in terms of a quick solution (I want to send applications before I'll probably have the opportunity to start anything new) should I mention some of my past activities/positions of responsibility?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry to be posting yet another thread but I've been mulling this one over for a little while.

I'm a recent graduate so I've left the bubble of societies, volunteering opportunities and sports clubs back at university. Ever since then, I've been stuck in a rut of part-time work (looking to go into a full-time role soon) and application writing and haven't done much in the way of extra-curricular activities apart from reading and video gaming - quite anti-social activities.

When answering questions about extra-curriculars and positions of responsibility, do we strictly have to stick to present-day examples? I don't want to talk about the past too much but my wealth of experiences are, pretty much, in my past. For example, while in the present I attend a coding course, my previous passion was writing journalistically and where I divested a lot of time and energy

So:
    1) does anyone have any tips for getting involved with extra-curriculars while in part-time/full-time work? I don't want to join the gym just for the sake of it? And volunteering opportunities often restrict in terms of volunteering during weekdays only. What does everyone else do beyond uni?
    2) does anyone know any news channels that accept amateur writing so I can continue writing journalistically as a hobby, as I did at uni?
    3) in terms of a quick solution (I want to send applications before I'll probably have the opportunity to start anything new) should I mention some of my past activities/positions of responsibility?

For 3), how far in the past are your examples?

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hi, I think that listing previous involvement in extra-circular activity is perfectly fine, if it can successfully demonstrate your leadership roles, teamwork, overcoming challenges. Involvement in societies throughout the duration of your university experience is better than doing nothing at all.

In terms of anything you can get involved with now, I have numerous ideas. You mentioned volunteering, take a look at https://www.lawcareers.net/MoreLaw/ProBonoInitiatives they give a list of Pro bono initiatives, and you may be able to find something that suits your schedule. Also, you can get involved with local sports societies, involvement in a local political party or music group on the weekends. If you have spare time on the weekends, perhaps you could learn a new language (this is always a bonus for employers as firms are growing more global). I think the main thing to bear in mind is that employers ask this question to find out about you as a person, specifically what skills and qualities you will benefit to their firm.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Salma, Jaysen and Hazal

kaveesha

Star Member
    TCLA Writer
    Mar 22, 2018
    Hi, I think that listing previous involvement in extra-circular activity is perfectly fine, if it can successfully demonstrate your leadership roles, teamwork, overcoming challenges. Involvement in societies throughout the duration of your university experience is better than doing nothing at all.

In terms of anything you can get involved with now, I have numerous ideas. You mentioned volunteering, take a look at https://www.lawcareers.net/MoreLaw/ProBonoInitiatives they give a list of Pro bono initiatives, and you may be able to find something that suits your schedule. Also, you can get involved with local sports societies, involvement in a local political party or music group on the weekends. If you have spare time on the weekends, perhaps you could learn a new language (this is always a bonus for employers as firms are growing more global). I think the main thing to bear in mind is that employers ask this question to find out about you as a person, specifically what skills and qualities you will benefit to their firm.

These are really good suggestions! I was just wondering though, would it be detrimental to mention a political affiliation? I was unsure if it could be risky if the interviewer doesn't share it.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would literally be from my final year which I just completed in June 2018. Is that present enough?

Yes, definitely! If you have a few experiences over the last year or so, that's plenty. No need to look for additional extra-curricular activities (unless you particularly want to).

Reactions: Hazal

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    These are really good suggestions! I was just wondering though, would it be detrimental to mention a political affiliation? I was unsure if it could be risky if the interviewer doesn't share it.
    Just revisiting this and noticed you didn't get an answer yet!

Personally, I don't think so. I think it would be really foolish of an interviewer to perceive you differently because of a political affiliation. If you're part of a political society or are an actual member of one, those are extracurriculars in my eyes and worthy to put down :)

Reactions: Nicole

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    1. I think its important that you take up an extra-curricular that you are genuinely interested in and like doing. You will of course be asked about this in an interview.

2. Make sure to maintain an active log of whatever you decide to take up.

3. If you are a recent graduate, consider joining your university's alumni network. Maybe you could take on the responsibility of organising an alumni meet or a networking dinner between students and the alumni? Anything can count.

4. If you are willing to do this. Maybe you could commit to learning a new sport, instrument, language or skill? Dedicating time towards building a skill shows a number of competencies and is a great talking point at an interview.

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    I'm working full-time in a role that requires a lot of travelling, so I don't have a lot of time for extra-curriculum activities as I did when at university. I totally understand your problem. Here are the activities that I'm doing now. Hopefully they give you some inspirations. :)
    1. Learn a new language: I do one hour of self-study every day, but also join a language group.
    2. Run long distances: I am training for a half-marathon. This helps me develop discipline and resilience more than anything else, trust me! I also find it easier to write about playing sports with a particular goal rather than saying "I enjoy going to the gym".
    3. Volunteer for a monthly festival in my neighbourhood: We only meet once a week so not a huge time commitment. In return, I get to organise initiatives to support local high street shops, which is great fun.
    4. Launch a mentoring scheme with an overseas NGO I used to volunteer with: I do this entirely remotely and in my own time. I think if you have a cause that you feel strongly about, creating a small project to tackle it could be very fulfilling and, at the same time, useful for skill development.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm working full-time in a role that requires a lot of travelling, so I don't have a lot of time for extra-curriculum activities as I did when at university. I totally understand your problem. Here are the activities that I'm doing now. Hopefully they give you some inspirations. :)
    1. Learn a new language: I do one hour of self-study every day, but also join a language group.
    2. Run long distances: I am training for a half-marathon. This helps me develop discipline and resilience more than anything else, trust me! I also find it easier to write about playing sports with a particular goal rather than saying "I enjoy going to the gym".
    3. Volunteer for a monthly festival in my neighbourhood: We only meet once a week so not a huge time commitment. In return, I get to organise initiatives to support local high street shops, which is great fun.
    4. Launch a mentoring scheme with an overseas NGO I used to volunteer with: I do this entirely remotely and in my own time. I think if you have a cause that you feel strongly about, creating a small project to tackle it could be very fulfilling and, at the same time, useful for skill development.

Very impressive! Out of interest - what language are you learning?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Wow, I really do commend you, I agree with the language requirement, currently self-studying Korean which is hard and also gets me out of my comfort zone :)

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    Wow, I really do commend you, I agree with the language requirement, currently self-studying Korean which is hard and also gets me out of my comfort zone :)
    I have full sympathy with you. I’m learning Japanese. Trying to memorise those logograms is certainly challenging. Have you looked at language exchange groups on Meetup? They’re great for keeping you motivated (and making friends, of course).

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I have full sympathy with you. I’m learning Japanese. Trying to memorise those logograms is certainly challenging. Have you looked at language exchange groups on Meetup? They’re great for keeping you motivated (and making friends, of course).

I have not, thanks I will look into the exchange groups further. How long have you been learning Japanese?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I’m learning Japanese. Initially started it to force myself to take a break from work at lunchtime. Now it’s officially my hobby. :)
    Impressive. I've started and stopped trying to learn a language for a very long time!

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018

So:
    I was thinking, have you checked out any legal clinics in your area? I know they offer maybe weekend positions or just a couple of hours per week (it's all volunteer work).

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    I was thinking, have you checked out any legal clinics in your area? I know they offer maybe weekend positions or just a couple of hours per week (it's all volunteer work).
    Yeah so CAB I've checked. I think the vacancy they had last was a weekday one. Beyond that, I'm not a law student so can't necessarily give any form of legal knowledge

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.