feeling ashamed

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well.
    I am back again on the forum after a long break (1.5 year) and kind of missed the vibe of this forum. I became a mother 6months ago and did a masters degree juggling with my part-time job to self-fund it. I had received lots of help from TCLA (was given a TCLA premium scholarship) and from several other legal charity organisations in my previous cycle of applications but I could not get any TC or VS offer. Now I am coming back fresh but feeling ashamed to ask for help again from the same people. If you had a similar experience, how did you get around that? did you look for different people for help with your apps?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey Soliha,

First of all, congratulations on your masters degree and motherhood! I can only imagine how difficult it was to juggle academics + being a new mother + working.

I don’t think you have anything at all to be ashamed about. It takes people multiple application cycles until they manage to secure an offer. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help because honestly most people who’ve secured a TC would love to help - especially the ones that are active on these forums.

Reactions: Soliha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Asking for help is an absolutely vital part of being a lawyer, throughout your career. You will never stop asking for help until the day you retire or decide that being a lawyer isn’t right for you. Therefore don’t feel ashamed about it - in fact it’s something you need to embrace and see as a strength.

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    Hey Soliha,

First of all, congratulations on your masters degree and motherhood! I can only imagine how difficult it was to juggle academics + being a new mother + working.

I don’t think you have anything at all to be ashamed about. It takes people multiple application cycles until they manage to secure an offer. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help because honestly most people who’ve secured a TC would love to help - especially the ones that are active on these forums.
    Thank you Dheepa for your message. I think I could not justify myself for getting help especially as it meant taking up someone else's place. Now I have overcome that.
    Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.