First Year Open Days/Insight Schemes 2021/2022

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am a second year student at a RG school studying Law with French Law (4 year course).

I haven't found a discussion on first year schemes in general for this year. How has everyone been getting on?

I've currently applied to 14 open days/schemes and have passed the SJTs/WG tests for some and be told to PFO by Baker and Slaughters....

Wondering if anyone else has heard back?

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am a second year student at a RG school studying Law with French Law (4 year course).

I haven't found a discussion on first year schemes in general for this year. How has everyone been getting on?

I've currently applied to 14 open days/schemes and have passed the SJTs/WG tests for some and be told to PFO by Baker and Slaughters....

Hi @kokothemagicdragon 🐉,

Welcome to the forum! It is great to have you join the community!

I thought I would first say that your username is great. It is up there with the best I have seen (@HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh 🐎, @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs 👽 (I am sure I am forgetting some!)).

I am afraid that I cannot help you with your question. I just wanted to highlight that you are way ahead of the curb in terms of applications than the vast majority of your cohort. I didn't send a single first year application, for example. So take confidence from the fact that you are doing extremely well even having submitted that many applications at this stage. Do not take your PFOs to heart. Be proud of yourself for being so organised and driven.

Whatever happens at the end of this cycle, you will be a better candidate as a result.

Fingers crossed for the rest of your applications! Do let me know if/when you hear anything.

Reactions: James Carrabino

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hi @kokothemagicdragon 🐉,

Welcome to the forum! It is great to have you join the community!

I thought I would first say that your username is great. It is up there with the best I have seen (@HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh 🐎, @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs 👽 (I am sure I am forgetting some!)).

I am afraid that I cannot help you with your question. I just wanted to highlight that you are way ahead of the curb in terms of applications than the vast majority of your cohort. I didn't send a single first year application, for example. So take confidence from the fact that you are doing extremely well even having submitted that many applications at this stage. Do not take your PFOs to heart. Be proud of yourself for being so organised and driven.

Whatever happens at the end of this cycle, you will be a better candidate as a result.

Fingers crossed for the rest of your applications! Do let me know if/when you hear anything.
    Hey George (hope you cool with the first name basis),

Thanks for the username compliment.

I've applied to a bunch of first year stuff since I'm in my second year of a 4 year dual LLB degree (English and French Law). I would have like to have applied to Vac schemes but can't since I'm technically not in my penultimate year I can't... I was wondering if you knew anyone who did CC SPARK, or Weil Fast Track?

Oh yeah the PFO by BM was fine I had anyways applied hurriedly on the last day, but I really would have liked Slaughters lol

Thanks for the response, im kinda surprised no one else is on this thread, I had heard first year schemes were really competitive.

Reactions: George Maxwell

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hello! I've applied to 13 (I think) firms but haven't heard back from them.
    Did you apply to A&O?
    Yup! I did the SJT and the next day they emailed me back saying: "We are pleased to inform you that your responses suggest that you possess the qualities we look for at Allen & Overy. Therefore, you will be progressing to the next stage of the recruitment process, where your application will be reviewed." So I'm just waiting and hoping to get that interview. you got any replies?

Reactions: aspiring_solicitor

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Yup! I did the SJT and the next day they emailed me back saying: "We are pleased to inform you that your responses suggest that you possess the qualities we look for at Allen & Overy. Therefore, you will be progressing to the next stage of the recruitment process, where your application will be reviewed." So I'm just waiting and hoping to get that interview. you got any replies?
    I got a rejection from A&O based on the sjt (idk why lol) but I did pass the sjt for HSF

aspiring_solicitor

Star Member
    Aug 16, 2021
    Yup! I did the SJT and the next day they emailed me back saying: "We are pleased to inform you that your responses suggest that you possess the qualities we look for at Allen & Overy. Therefore, you will be progressing to the next stage of the recruitment process, where your application will be reviewed." So I'm just waiting and hoping to get that interview. you got any replie
    I got the same reply but didn’t hear anything from them yet, did you ?

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hello,

Can I ask, when did you hear back from Slaughter&May? Also did you just apply for their open day or the spring scheme too?

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey George (hope you cool with the first name basis),

Thanks for the username compliment.

I've applied to a bunch of first year stuff since I'm in my second year of a 4 year dual LLB degree (English and French Law). I would have like to have applied to Vac schemes but can't since I'm technically not in my penultimate year I can't... I was wondering if you knew anyone who did CC SPARK, or Weil Fast Track?

Oh yeah the PFO by BM was fine I had anyways applied hurriedly on the last day, but I really would have liked Slaughters lol

Thanks for the response, im kinda surprised no one else is on this thread, I had heard first year schemes were really competitive.
    Hi @kokothemagicdragon,

I am so sorry not to have replied to your message. I think it must have got lost in a wave of notifications. This will not happen again!

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone on the forum personally who completed these schemes (but I am sure there are members in our community who did!).

How have you been getting on since our last exchange?

RK444

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi,

I've applied to around 11 first year insight schemes. I've had rejections from Lathams and HSF but have a telephone interview at Macfarlanes.

This will be my first interview at a law firm and I would be really grateful for any tips/advice on how to best prepare.

Thanks

Reactions: User274302

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hi @kokothemagicdragon,

I am so sorry not to have replied to your message. I think it must have got lost in a wave of notifications. This will not happen again!

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone on the forum personally who completed these schemes (but I am sure there are members in our community who did!).

How have you been getting on since our last exchange?
    No worries! It has been going quite poorly tbh, a lot of PFOs even though I thought I had good applications. Still waiting on a couple, otherwise I will be doing a week long scheme at Child & Child in London so that is good. And got now have gotten a first in both first year and second semester of second year so at least in that regard I am doing well. Huge learning experience tbf and I still keep hope for a positive reply.

Reactions: George Maxwell

annalaw

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2022
    Do law firms let you know if you have been unsuccessful when it comes to open days? I am yet to hear back and the open day is next week! I assume I have been unsuccessful but just wondered

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    No worries! It has been going quite poorly tbh, a lot of PFOs even though I thought I had good applications. Still waiting on a couple, otherwise I will be doing a week long scheme at Child & Child in London so that is good. And got now have gotten a first in both first year and second semester of second year so at least in that regard I am doing well. Huge learning experience tbf and I still keep hope for a positive reply.
    Hi @kokothemagicdragon,

It is great to hear that you have got a scheme lined up already. I am also sorry to hear that you have been having a challenging time applying. All I can say is that rejections really do come with the territory. As you noted though, each should give you something to think about and/or work on. As always please do reach out if I can be of any help either now or in the future.

Congratulations for your university results too! Balancing applications with everything so credit to you for doing so successfully 🚀

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.