Future Query- qualifying into office abroad permanently?

l789

Aug 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I know this is quite forward thinking and there’s a lot to consider ( I may change my mind later and decide I don’t want this ) but… I was just wondering, would it be possible, after the two year training contract to qualify into a firms office abroad as a NQ on a permanent basis?

I understand the barriers with visa reqs and being in a different jurisdiction, and the firms business needs/ type of work.

I was just wondering if this was possible at all- if for arguments sake I did want to leave the UK. Do firms allow permanent internal transfers? Are there any firms ( I know there are people at Latham who have done this) that would consider this request at all or know people who have made the move?

(Also want to make clear, as ridiculous as this post may be as I’m only a student, right now my main priorities are obtaining a vac scheme/training contract and I’m focusing on that, but I just wanted to inquire.)

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone,

I know this is quite forward thinking and there’s a lot to consider ( I may change my mind later and decide I don’t want this ) but… I was just wondering, would it be possible, after the two year training contract to qualify into a firms office abroad as a NQ on a permanent basis?

I understand the barriers with visa reqs and being in a different jurisdiction, and the firms business needs/ type of work.

I was just wondering if this was possible at all- if for arguments sake I did want to leave the UK. Do firms allow permanent internal transfers? Are there any firms ( I know there are people at Latham who have done this) that would consider this request at all or know people who have made the move?
I do not know a lot about this as I still have to start my training contract but what I can say is that I was really interested in this too and I know a couple of lawyers that qualified and immediately move to another office of the same firm. For instance, I know someone who did their training contract in a US firm in London and upon qualification moved to the Silicon Valley of that firm and they are now fully qualified associates in California, England and Wales. So, it is definitely possible!

l789

Aug 19, 2020
I do not know a lot about this as I still have to start my training contract but what I can say is that I was really interested in this too and I know a couple of lawyers that qualified and immediately move to another office of the same firm. For instance, I know someone who did their training contract in a US firm in London and upon qualification moved to the Silicon Valley of that firm and they are now fully qualified associates in California, England and Wales. So, it is definitely possible!
Good Morning Axel,

Thank you for your feedback. I know it’s early days for you, but I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s thought about this.

That’s really interesting to hear, I know the cali bar is super tough aswell- so quite an admirable achievement!

I know people can change their mind on these things, but it would be interesting to know firms policies on this.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

(Also want to make clear, as ridiculous as this post may be as I’m only a student, right now my main priorities are obtaining a vac scheme/training contract and I’m focusing on that, but I just wanted to inquire.)
It is possible but it’s pretty rare. Firms aren’t really looking for talent to qualify in the U.K. and then move abroad - it would be much better to train and qualify in that local office than it would be to move upon qualification.

I have seen it happen in Hong Kong, Brussels (pre Brexit), Dubai and Singapore though. It will really depend on where you want to work, the cross over of work, the language skills you have and how easy it is to get a work visa for you. For some jurisdictions this combination just doesn’t work very well, while for others it does. It will also be dependent on there being demand for a job in that location. You can’t just move because you want to - there will need to be a job available there for you to move into.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.