General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

Distinguished Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi guys! If anyone has any helpful information/tips/advice about Dentons AC (second round) I would be really grateful!! Its my last chance this cycle and really want to make the most of it
I did their AC last cycle. It is a partner case study plus a role play exercise with two senior associates. You have 5 minutes to read over a short brief about a business scenario and then the 2 partners will ask you questions based on that. After the case study, they ask you competency based questions like why commercial law, why Dentons, tell me about a time when you did X etc.

The role-play exercise was quite intense. You have 45 minutes to read over a pack about a business trying to expand. You have to write up a report to summarise the business and make some suggestions (so 45 minutes for both reading the materials and writing the report). There's a lot of details and you won't have time to read everything so make sure you skim and find the relevant bits. They will print your report out for you to bring in to present it to the two senior associates in a 'fake meeting' (hence it's a role-play). They are playing your senior colleagues. They will also ask you questions based on your suggestions. The key here is to stand your ground and give your reasons, even if they really challenge you. They do that on purpose to see if you back down without good reasons.

Good luck and hope this helps!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Ar2016 and Jaysen

anon0408

Future Trainee
Feb 22, 2020
does anyone have any advice for a sidley VS interview? just got invited!!

Congrats! I would say really brush up on your commercial awareness for the case study, and be prepared for them to be quite tough. The partner interviewing me grilled me pretty hard on my background, and I walked out of there feeling like he hated me but ended up getting the offer!

Reactions: bel123456

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    I really enjoyed it. No time pressure. Conversational approach. I felt like it was one of the only AC's I attended where I believed the interviewers wanted to get to know ME, rather than simply listening to what I had to say.
    Are they still giving out Ac's do you know?

Reactions: M777

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Are they still giving out Ac's do you know?

When I booked my Spring AC, there were 4 slots. I got the impression they were still going through applicants, and, a LOT of people had been through the process. I have a friend who did his AC pre-Xmas for Spring.

Reactions: M777

kg

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2020
    I really enjoyed it. No time pressure. Conversational approach. I felt like it was one of the only AC's I attended where I believed the interviewers wanted to get to know ME, rather than simply listening to what I had to say.

do you know if V&E are doing more ACs?

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    do you know if V&E are doing more ACs?

I wouldn't know. My guess would be - If you don't have one yet, then, no.

I say this on the basis of the fact that at my AC, there were a LOT of people. Given their VS's only have 2-4 people on them, and I know for a fact there were at least 3 other AC days, they likely have a significant pool of candidates to choose from.

My guess (again) would be that if they felt they did not have an adequate pool of candidates, they may host some more AC's. We were advised that we would hear back within two weeks so the position may be clearer then.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    What's the best thing to do if you receive a VS offer but didn't include 2 bad 1st year grades on your app? I also listed a 59 as a 60 from 1st year but this was an actual mistake. These don't count towards my degree btw. Is it a lost cause ? :(
    They might not ask for transcripts for the Vac Scheme but they would if you got the TC...

If they do I'd assume they would take it quite seriously. Up to you if you want to tell them now regardless

Reactions: Deleted member 1640

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What's the best thing to do if you receive a VS offer but didn't include 2 bad 1st year grades on your app? I also listed a 59 as a 60 from 1st year but this was an actual mistake. These don't count towards my degree btw. Is it a lost cause ? :(

wait - you didn’t include two bad grades AND you put an additional one in as a mistake?

This isn’t good at all. You need to let the firm know ASAP. Even if they don’t ask for your transcripts for the vac scheme, they will for a TC and this won’t be looked upon favourably.

Be prepared for your offer to be rescinded - it’s a strong possibility given what you have said.

The “it didn’t go towards my degree” doesn’t mean a lot when firms are asking for a 2.1 and can on go by your first year grades, whether they count or not.

Last edited:

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Yes, I really messed up. I think as I was putting in my grades on the form I saw the grade above it on my transcript which was 60 and put that by accident instead.

I'll email them to let them know, I'm just hoping they'll appreciate me telling them? The rest of my grades were 1st or high 2:1 :(
    Hopefully just know not to do the same mistake for the future. If you are good enough to get a Vac Scheme, you can definitely still get one even with a couple of less good grades. It might require more work but you can quite clearly do it.

I was really worried about some of my low grades and I genuinely think my biggest obstacle was being so worried about it. Hope it goes well for you though.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Think it is a mixture of factors that are causing this - where many of the intakes they are currently recruiting for will be the first SQE intake, Brexit fears of over-recruiting, and now corona virus, it feels very much like 2008-09 all over again....
    Could any offers be rescinded because of Coronavirus? What’s your take?

Reactions: m24

Olivia99

Star Member
    Dec 10, 2019
    Hey don’t worry too much! I put a percentage grade wrong in my application and emailed as soon as possible (before my interview). I still got offered a vacation scheme. Just be honest and open :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.