General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw

Feb 27, 2020
Has anyone done the Mishcon de Reya VI recently? Just interested to know the average turnaround time for them getting back to you afterwards...
I got rejected post VI after 3 months haha. I would send them an email, because they responded the day after I gave them a nudge!

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I got rejected post VI after 3 months haha. I would send them an email, because they responded the day after I gave them a nudge!

Ahh thanks for letting me know. I only completed it yesterday lol. I am just being impatient because I know that some people who were successful heard back the same day!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Ahh thanks for letting me know. I only completed it yesterday lol. I am just being impatient because I know that some people who were successful heard back the same day!

Hi Camilla - I heard back two hours later (completed on Tuesday afternoon) and I know someone else completed it yesterday afternoon and heard back after 20 minutes! Fingers crossed you hear soon :)

RSta

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2019
    How long does it usually take to hear back from HSF post AC? HSF seems to have a reputation for giving quick outcomes - I know that some people were notified of outcomes on the same day as the AC. I had my AC this Wednesday, but haven’t heard back yet. Really panicked in view of the weekend :((

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi Camilla - I heard back two hours later (completed on Tuesday afternoon) and I know someone else completed it yesterday afternoon and heard back after 20 minutes! Fingers crossed you hear soon :)

Ahhhhhhhh I think its a rejection based on that. Damnit!

Thanks for letting me know though. Just going to focus on direct TC round now :)

CCC

Standard Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    Can anybody comment on whether candidates for ACs are generally grouped by the stage they're at in their studies?
    i.e. would it be usual to segregate, say, non-law/pre-GDL from law/pre-LPC? Or is it a mixture of age, experience and knowledge, and a fight to the death? (Just kidding!)

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Can anybody comment on whether candidates for ACs are generally grouped by the stage they're at in their studies?
    i.e. would it be usual to segregate, say, non-law/pre-GDL from law/pre-LPC? Or is it a mixture of age, experience and knowledge, and a fight to the death? (Just kidding!)

Same question, especially considering firms seem to invite people to ACs at different times!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This doesn't happen anywhere.

Slightly different expectations will be applied to the level of knowledge someone may have (e.g. first year non-law students vs a post-grad law student) but it doesn't mean people are grouped in a manner you are suggesting. Everyone is in the same pool for the specific vacancy they have applied to, and they have to meet the same standards.

Knowledge has a shelf-life to your career anyway, so it is not like having specific knowledge is necessary for the job/opportunity.

The only situation where a candidate will be differentiated, is at the point of offer and having to consider the additional costs of supporting them through the GDL. Some firms will work on a rough quota of law to non-law students (purely for budget reasons), but those firms will usually run separate application windows for non-law vs law students anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Same question, especially considering firms seem to invite people to ACs at different times!

That is just done on either strength of application/assessments or when they applied (or both) - in many cases, it can just be down to pot luck.

It won't be done by degree subject or what stage of their academics they are in.

Reactions: M777

CCC

Standard Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    This doesn't happen anywhere.

Slightly different expectations will be applied to the level of knowledge someone may have (e.g. first year non-law students vs a post-grad law student) but it doesn't mean people are grouped in a manner you are suggesting. Everyone is in the same pool for the specific vacancy they have applied to, and they have to meet the same standards.

Knowledge has a shelf-life to your career anyway, so it is not like having specific knowledge is necessary for the job/opportunity.

The only situation where a candidate will be differentiated, is at the point of offer and having to consider the additional costs of supporting them through the GDL. Some firms will work on a rough quota of law to non-law students (purely for budget reasons), but those firms will usually run separate application windows for non-law vs law students anyway.
    Interesting perspective. Thanks.
    For clarification, I should have explained that I was referring to ACs for Vacation Schemes, rather than Training Contracts. Not that I don't feel I can hold my own, just concerned (as 3rd Year, non-law) whether everyone would be of equivalent level of legal knowledge. Your answer appears to be 'no'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting perspective. Thanks.
    For clarification, I should have explained that I was referring to ACs for Vacation Schemes, rather than Training Contracts. Not that I don't feel I can hold my own, just concerned (as 3rd Year, non-law) whether everyone would be of equivalent level of legal knowledge. Your answer appears to be 'no'.

Still no different whether it is a VS or TC....

A VS to TC conversion is not going to be based on how much you know now, especially when you won't start for another 2-3 years.

What will determine it will be your willingness or ability to learn though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.