Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it appropriate to ask a superior in a student run organisation for Akin Gump's "company/organisation" reference? I worked last year but I doubt my boss still remembers me, and my work and volunteering this year has all been delayed or cancelled because of corona.

What do firms ask for from company referees? Is it just to confirm the work experience, or will they ask for a call or a detailed letter?

They aren’t unlikely to ask for a reference for a student society/run organisation unless you were employed.

Simba281

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 4, 2020
Can anyone help with how to go about answering the following question: ' Focusing on one or more of CMS’s sectors, what challenges and opportunities for growth do you see presenting themselves over the coming 12-24 months?'

I know the first place to start is actually researching each sector but I am unsure as to how to structure the answer or what to focus on

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Can anyone help with how to go about answering the following question: ' Focusing on one or more of CMS’s sectors, what challenges and opportunities for growth do you see presenting themselves over the coming 12-24 months?'

I know the first place to start is actually researching each sector but I am unsure as to how to structure the answer or what to focus on
    This question is testing your commercial awareness and your firm knowledge. Pick a development in the business world which falls within one of CMS' sectors and explain what opportunities and challenges it poses :)

Reactions: James Kitching

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    When the firm asks for the details of main spare time interests, is it ok to include positions of responsibility from the past? They are not asking specifically for that but I have no idea how to otherwise fill 600 words.

cgs97

Star Member
    Mar 15, 2020
    For a cover letter that asks about why you and why the firm, should we aim for a 50/50 split? Or is it okay to focus a bit more on my own skills and experiences? Just struggling to hit the balance right.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When the firm asks for the details of main spare time interests, is it ok to include positions of responsibility from the past? They are not asking specifically for that but I have no idea how to otherwise fill 600 words.

not a problem to do this unless they have asked for positions of responsibility elsewhere

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a cover letter that asks about why you and why the firm, should we aim for a 50/50 split? Or is it okay to focus a bit more on my own skills and experiences? Just struggling to hit the balance right.

it will vary from applicant to applicant, depending on their experience, so I wouldn’t say it needs to be 50/50 (or that should be the aim) but that you have to ensure you answer both aspects, taking into account what else is covered in the rest of your application.

Reactions: cgs97

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice on how to answer ‘tell us about deals we have worked on that interested you’ type of questions in interviews. I have an interview with HR & apparently that is a common question, but it’s difficult to know how much detail to go into or if I should just name the deal & say why I thought it was interesting

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice on how to answer ‘tell us about deals we have worked on that interested you’ type of questions in interviews. I have an interview with HR & apparently that is a common question, but it’s difficult to know how much detail to go into or if I should just name the deal & say why I thought it was interesting

focus on you and your motivations/interests first.

Talk about it as if your interviewer knows nothing about the topic/matter

websterl

Sep 14, 2020
    I have been practising the Watson Glaser using JobTestPrep.

There's one question under assumption section that I'd welcome some feedback on. On statements two and three I am inclined to put Assumption Made, but on further interrogation, I think it is Assumption Not Made for all three.

'If you don't believe me, I'll prove it to you logically.'
    1. Some matters of belief cannot be proven by logic. Assumption Not Made
    2. Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion. Assumption Not Made
    3. What I present as logical proof will influence your thinking. Assumption Not Made.

Thanks!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

There's one question under assumption section that I'd welcome some feedback on. On statements two and three I am inclined to put Assumption Made, but on further interrogation, I think it is Assumption Not Made for all three.

2. Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion. Assumption Not Made
    3. What I present as logical proof will influence your thinking. Assumption Not Made.

Thanks!
    I would be inclined to think statements 2 and 3 are assumption made as in the assumption part of the WG you are supposed to take the assumption as gospel and use no outside knowledge/opinion. But would love other opinions on this!

websterl

Sep 14, 2020
    I would be inclined to think statements 2 and 3 are assumption made as in the assumption part of the WG you are supposed to take the assumption as gospel and use no outside knowledge/opinion. But would love other opinions on this!

Yes I was inclined to say Assumption Made for 2 and 3, but the initial statement gives no indication that what is proved logically will actually have an effect on the person's belief..

Hard one!

Reactions: Miki3999 and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Yes I was inclined to say Assumption Made for 2 and 3, but the initial statement gives no indication that what is proved logically will actually have an effect on the person's belief..

Hard one!
    Sometimes I try and take my gut reaction for the answer as I end up over thinking them! Think thats where I went wrong with the Bird & Bird WG because I spent the last 5 mins reconsidering the tricky ones (tbh probably this one too as I recognise it!) whereas I passed the CMS one by just following my gut :)

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    Hi everyone, I’m planning on starting the GDL in January, but I was wondering if it will still be possible for me to squeeze in a vac scheme (spring or summer), during the course. I have applied to a few vacation schemes already and I’m a little worried I won’t be able to complete them. I’ve heard that it can be doable but the course is quite demanding, as it’s only 9 months. Would really appreciate any help!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Sometimes I try and take my gut reaction for the answer as I end up over thinking them! Think thats where I went wrong with the Bird & Bird WG because I spent the last 5 mins reconsidering the tricky ones (tbh probably this one too as I recognise it!) whereas I passed the CMS one by just following my gut :)

I second this. Whenever I overthink the WGT I fail. Trust your instincts!
    Try and do the Clifford chance test instinctively and see what you get. If you get a high mark (say 75%-80% overall) then you know you do naturally well and don’t need to overthink

Reactions: OB

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi everyone, I’m planning on starting the GDL in January, but I was wondering if it will still be possible for me to squeeze in a vac scheme (spring or summer), during the course. I have applied to a few vacation schemes already and I’m a little worried I won’t be able to complete them. I’ve heard that it can be doable but the course is quite demanding, as it’s only 9 months. Would really appreciate any help!

be aware that the study guarantee at a lot of universities mean that even if you cannot make the course workshops at the time (for example attending a vac scheme) then you can catch up on it relatively easy. This was put in place due to Covid however it can also be used to take time off without falling drastically behind. at the end of the day it’s two weeks, which means you might be putting in extra work but vac schemes are amazing for your career and the reason most people do the GDL is to get their foot in the door at law firms. I’d say do the course and worry about catching up with GDL later if you are successful at vac schemes!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NK

JJP

Star Member
    Aug 4, 2020

Thanks!

I'd be inclined to agree with you and say assumption not made to all 3 - do JobTestPrep not provide the answers? I would be interested in their rationale either way

JJP

Star Member
    Aug 4, 2020

I'm also starting the GDL in Jan! Some of the term dates line up quite nicely with vac schemes (especially spring) so may be worth checking in with your uni to find them out.

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    I'm also starting the GDL in Jan! Some of the term dates line up quite nicely with vac schemes (especially spring) so may be worth checking in with your uni to find them out.

thank you so much - this is very helpful! Are you doing your course with the UofLaw? I will get in touch with my uni to find out the term dates

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    be aware that the study guarantee at a lot of universities mean that even if you cannot make the course workshops at the time (for example attending a vac scheme) then you can catch up on it relatively easy. This was put in place due to Covid however it can also be used to take time off without falling drastically behind. at the end of the day it’s two weeks, which means you might be putting in extra work but vac schemes are amazing for your career and the reason most people do the GDL is to get their foot in the door at law firms. I’d say do the course and worry about catching up with GDL later if you are successful at vac schemes!

this is very true, I hadn’t thought of this. Thank u for your help!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.