General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I am in the process of completing the Baker McKenzie application and I'm finding there are a lot of overlaps between my explanation of my work experiences and my answers to their application questions.

For example in response to their accomplishments question, I've outlined that I am proud of the excellent feedback I received during an internship, which I also mentioned when discussing the internship in the work experience section. Should I cut these overlaps out or are they ok?

AnnieK

Jul 11, 2020
    Hi, I'm a non-UK student and I'm due to start a virtual vacation scheme (my first!! :D) at a Magic Circle law firm next week.

It's been reduced to a two week long scheme that I'll attend from my home country.

It will be followed by a training contract interview at the end. How I should go about this virtual scheme and how I can show enthusiasm and come across as a strong candidate for the Training Contract?

Further, are there any tips for a virtual TC interview which I can follow?

I'd be grateful for any resources which would help me in this regard!

Thanks!

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    I'll be at BPP and their Easter holidays line up nicely with some (although not all) of the spring vac schemes
    If our exams clash with a vac scheme then I’m guessing there’s no way out of it? I have an interview for a spring vac scheme but I think the internship clashes with my exams in April...

websterl

Sep 14, 2020
    Hi, I was wondering how far back people go when they include details of work experience. For reference, I started university in 2015 and graduated in 2019. Do you think it is ok to include work experience (unrelated to law) that I completed in 2015? Thanks

Reactions: Manifesting

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am in the process of completing the Baker McKenzie application and I'm finding there are a lot of overlaps between my explanation of my work experiences and my answers to their application questions.

For example in response to their accomplishments question, I've outlined that I am proud of the excellent feedback I received during an internship, which I also mentioned when discussing the internship in the work experience section. Should I cut these overlaps out or are they ok?

Keep the work experience section factual and focused on what you did. Focus the competency question on the feedback

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    For questions such as 'What important rewards do you expect in your career at X'; 'What do you hope to get out of a career at X' is anyone able to give any pointers.

Obviously for lots of people it will be making partner etc, but not sure if that's personal/unique enough!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For questions such as 'What important rewards do you expect in your career at X'; 'What do you hope to get out of a career at X' is anyone able to give any pointers.

Obviously for lots of people it will be making partner etc, but not sure if that's personal/unique enough!

For most people it won’t be making partner

• ℹ️
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Law123

Star Member
    Mar 31, 2020
    Hi, @Jessica Booker

I'm doing a cover letter for a paralegal role, in your opinion what would be the best line spacing, margins and font size? Sorry if this has been answered before. I'm very confused as different careers websites say different things, with one stating that all margins should be 1, I think this is too narrow, so I'm not sure? Thank you for your help!

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hi, @Jessica Booker

I'm doing a cover letter for a paralegal role, in your opinion what would be the best line spacing, margins and font size? Sorry if this has been answered before. I'm very confused as different careers websites say different things, with one stating that all margins should be 1, I think this is too narrow, so I'm not sure? Thank you for your help!

I know this was directed at Jessica, but having successfully secured a paralegal role I thought I might offer advice. I used size 12 font and 1.5 spacing. I could have probably dropped to size 11 but my year 7 ICT teacher’s angry face came to mind whenever I make it smaller than size 12. As for margins I used the standard margins in word. Seriously I think content and layout (addresses, addressing to the right person, and correct sign off) are more important than stuff like margins (regarding you don’t make any wild choices like size 9 font and no margins at all lol)

• Haha
    Reactions: Law123 and OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, @Jessica Booker

single line spacing, nothing lower than font size 10, margins not too narrow. If the page looks crowded, no one will want to read it. Normally margins would be 2 or more on all sides

Reactions: Law123 and LS12

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020

I seriously wonder about those questions as well. When you're applying for a TC, you're still so early in your (legal) career that it's hard to know what it is you look forward to the most. I'd imagine most people either have vague ideas of wanting to make partner or moving in-house / elsewhere (which at any rate I don't expect you should really be mentioning to a firm, at least not at such an early stage), but beyond that? I don't know, I'd also really appreciate someone's input on how they approach these types of questions.

• 🤝
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I seriously wonder about those questions as well. When you're applying for a TC, you're still so early in your (legal) career that it's hard to know what it is you look forward to the most. I'd imagine most people either have vague ideas of wanting to make partner or moving in-house / elsewhere (which at any rate I don't expect you should really be mentioning to a firm, at least not at such an early stage), but beyond that? I don't know, I'd also really appreciate someone's input on how they approach these types of questions.

I think people are looking at this too superficially. It isn’t just about the financial rewards. Think more about the career satisfaction piece - why do you want to do the day job for 10+ years and be happy on that journey (rather than reaching the destination).

Reactions: Andrew M, Jaysen and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Client interaction? Exposure to international jurisdictions? Secondments? Top-quality training?

Reactions: Andrew M and Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.