General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    For questions such as 'What important rewards do you expect in your career at X'; 'What do you hope to get out of a career at X' is anyone able to give any pointers.

Obviously for lots of people it will be making partner etc, but not sure if that's personal/unique enough!

For me the biggest reward is the opportunity to work with incredibly smart people every day and continually learn something new. Also, the opportunity to become one of the best in your field at a particular practice area and work internationally etc. could also be considered important rewards

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I think people are looking at this too superficially. It isn’t just about the financial rewards. Think more about the career satisfaction piece - why do you want to do the day job for 10+ years and be happy on that journey (rather than reaching the destination).
    Ah I see, yeah that's a great way to approach it you're right! Thanks!

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Client interaction? Exposure to international jurisdictions? Secondments? Top-quality training?

For me the biggest reward is the opportunity to work with incredibly smart people every day and continually learn something new. Also, the opportunity to become one of the best in your field at a particular practice area and work internationally etc. could also be considered important rewards

Thank you both, really helpful! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and OB

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Has anybody else had an email from NRF inviting them to apply for a 2023 training contract? My application for a 2022 TC was not reviewed because of the disruption surrounding second-semester grades & covid.
    Has anybody been successful in their application to NRF and have any tips? I am in the process of rewriting my cover letter as I feel like it definitely needs improvement!

Reactions: NikkiT

Law123

Star Member
    Mar 31, 2020
    single line spacing, nothing lower than font size 10, margins not too narrow. If the page looks crowded, no one will want to read it. Normally margins would be 2 or more on all sides

Thank you, if there is no one to address the cover letter to, would Dear Sir or Madam be okay, or I've seen examples which state Dear Hiring Manager? Thank you!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips for doing a virtual interview? I.e where you should look, what kind of helpful things to build rapport etc
    Very nervous as I’ve never done one before
    Thanks!

Rene

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2020
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if I get a TC offer from a winter vacation scheme, how long do I have to accept it? I have an offer for a vacation scheme later on in the year as well as this December and would prefer a TC from that firm over the firm this winter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if I get a TC offer from a winter vacation scheme, how long do I have to accept it? I have an offer for a vacation scheme later on in the year as well as this December and would prefer a TC from that firm over the firm this winter.

4 weeks - possibly shorter if the firm puts pressure on you to accept quickly. Most firms give a standard 4 week rule though.

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    @Jessica Booker If I'm referring to a firm receiving a tier 1 ranking from The Legal 500 in a cover letter is it:

Tier 1
    tier 1
    Tier One
    tier one

I noted in one of TCLA's sessions it was mentioned numbers under ten should be typed but obviously this is an award and I can't find it type out as one anywhere

PEN1

Feb 10, 2020
    Hi guys - I am taking a bit of time off studying/work before starting my TC at a Magic Circle firm. Having been through the application process myself I know how stressful and draining it can be (there is light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!). Feel free to reach out with any questions or if you would like a second opinion on your applications. Good luck!!!

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Lawbour, FC, Law123 and 12 others

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    How in depth do your reasons for being interested in a commercial story have to be? I have recently become really interested in the regulation of BigTech (in particular Google/Amazon's antitrust allegations), and took part in a virtual internship which had a section on competition which I enjoyed due to its emphasis on black letter law. I feel I could link this to the firm I would be talking to this about, as they have a good competition and technology practice. But do I need more to show why I particularly am interested in this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.