General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0808

Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
I spoke to the Graduate Recruitment team at Travers Smith yesterday. They said they are still interviewing some people this week and that the remaining places on the Winter vacation scheme will almost surely go to those people.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AlRJ and Jaysen
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi! I attended a Freshfields Virtual Event today. It was a substitute for the Afternoon Tea session they were going to have last academic year. I did submit an application and the event was originally by invite. However, it turned into a virtual event and so I assumed it was open to everybody. Only 16 people turned up in the call so I was wondering if it did end up being selective and if I could include this under work experience or would it be considered a general, open to all firm presentation?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi! I attended a Freshfields Virtual Event today. It was a substitute for the Afternoon Tea session they were going to have last academic year. I did submit an application and the event was originally by invite. However, it turned into a virtual event and so I assumed it was open to everybody. Only 16 people turned up in the call so I was wondering if it did end up being selective and if I could include this under work experience or would it be considered a general, open to all firm presentation?
Not all virtual events are open to everyone and you have to apply for most open days and get accepted despite them being virtual!

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
I'm doing the LLM Law and Legal Practice at BPP but it is literally the PGDL with a project at the end to make it a masters - and everyone doing it including myself pretty much only did so because we needed postgrad funding.

When I apply to firms, should I write that my course is LLM Law and Legal Practice or should i just write PGDL - as i am doing all the same PGDL modules and exams etc

I am worried if i write LLM Law and Legal Practice that, as it is a new course, firms may not realise this is just a replica of the PGDL as the name is so similar to masters versions of the LPC run by BPP and ULaw / will it be obvious that this is an SRA approved law conversion. Do i need to explain it further?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

to me it isn’t work experience, but definitely something to include on your application elsewhere

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm doing the LLM Law and Legal Practice at BPP but it is literally the PGDL with a project at the end to make it a masters - and everyone doing it including myself pretty much only did so because we needed postgrad funding.

When I apply to firms, should I write that my course is LLM Law and Legal Practice or should i just write PGDL - as i am doing all the same PGDL modules and exams etc

I am worried if i write LLM Law and Legal Practice that, as it is a new course, firms may not realise this is just a replica of the PGDL as the name is so similar to masters versions of the LPC run by BPP and ULaw / will it be obvious that this is an SRA approved law conversion. Do i need to explain it further?

firms will know what it is - don’t worry about that

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
@Jessica Booker I applied for a VS with HSF and completed the online test portion a few days ago, after which I got a report regarding my competencies which really didn't seem promising (out of the 4 they said they look for, I had 1 excellent, 1 good, and 2 average / poor). However I received an email today saying I meet the benchmark and my application is now under review.

Do you think they will now review the application together with my score on the online test, or was the online test just a cut-off step that is no longer relevant to further application stages?

D

Deleted member 2707

Anyone having trouble loading Hogan Lovell's apply page? I've been having problems recently.

Edit: This is the error message I got. "We are sorry but there has been a problem processing your request. Please try again."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I applied for a VS with HSF and completed the online test portion a few days ago, after which I got a report regarding my competencies which really didn't seem promising (out of the 4 they said they look for, I had 1 excellent, 1 good, and 2 average / poor). However I received an email today saying I meet the benchmark and my application is now under review.

Do you think they will now review the application together with my score on the online test, or was the online test just a cut-off step that is no longer relevant to further application stages?

Difficult to say - could easily be either, it really depends on the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This seems to be the new "mistake" to make....

Before logging into a Zoom meeting, whether for an open day, seminar or interview - check your log in name.

Had my first very questionable name come up on Zoom this week - came up with something like "XXKovidcutieXX" is in the waiting room at the start of an interview.

But I am also seeing lots of people log in, probably on computers/devices that are shared, and so they are logging in on their families/housemates Zoom account. Probably best to log into Zoom ahead of the meeting and ensure the screen name is something appropriate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.