Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Is not fully completing a written case study the make it or break it for getting a VS offer? The written case study was the last round of assessments

not at all - exercises like this are typically designed to not be finished by a fair proportion of candidates. It doesn’t mean they are unsuccessful - it is just putting time pressure on it makes the exercise more challenging and realistic of the type of scenarios you may face as a trainee. I wouldn’t have recruited probably more than a third of the trainees I did if it was a make or break matter.

• ℹ️
Reactions: CMD

traineehopeful29

Jul 26, 2019
not at all - exercises like this are typically designed to not be finished by a fair proportion of candidates. It doesn’t mean they are unsuccessful - it is just putting time pressure on it makes the exercise more challenging and realistic of the type of scenarios you may face as a trainee. I wouldn’t have recruited probably more than a third of the trainees I did if it was a make or break matter.

thank you, thats quite reassuring!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This seems to be the new "mistake" to make....

Before logging into a Zoom meeting, whether for an open day, seminar or interview - check your log in name.

Had my first very questionable name come up on Zoom this week - came up with something like "XXKovidcutieXX" is in the waiting room at the start of an interview.

But I am also seeing lots of people log in, probably on computers/devices that are shared, and so they are logging in on their families/housemates Zoom account. Probably best to log into Zoom ahead of the meeting and ensure the screen name is something appropriate!

This made me laugh - we noticed this a lot when we used to do our virtual training sessions. It then makes it confusing to address that candidate in a group setting, especially if you haven't met them before!

• Haha
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Rene

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2020
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows any firms strong in PE? I have applied to the obvious ones:

- Kirkland & Ellis
    - Weil
    - Latham & Watkins
    - Ropes & Gray
    - Sidley Austin (not sure if they’re strong on PE yet or if the PE practice is growing)
    - Travers Smith (I think)

I want to apply to more vac schemes than the above but cannot find anymore firms that are strong on PE.

JW

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hi everybody!

As a CMS BA this year I want to let everybody know about the current opportunity on offer!
    Not only will signing up to CMS' mailing list give you the chance to receive exclusive hints and tips from the Early Talent Team and be the first to know about new events and opportunities, but also there is currently the chance to win a £150 gift voucher of your choice which is great on the run up to Christmas! All you need to do is register using the link below and be quick as there is only 2 days left to sign up to be in with the chance to win!

The emails are filled with great content and are reasonably managed, however you can unsubscribe at any time if you wish to do so (although I doubt you would want to;))!

If you click this link it should take you to the registration form which takes less than two minutes to complete- http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas

• 📥
    Reactions: STWO and DrowninginSQE

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows any firms strong in PE? I have applied to the obvious ones:

- Kirkland & Ellis
    - Weil
    - Latham & Watkins
    - Ropes & Gray
    - Sidley Austin (not sure if they’re strong on PE yet or if the PE practice is growing)

I want to apply to more vac schemes than the above but cannot find anymore firms that are strong on PE.

The whole Magic Circle minus Slaughters are ranked in the top two Bands on Chambers UK for PE Buyouts; alongside those White & Case, Macfarlanes

• 🤝
    Reactions: Rene

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hello everyone,

- Kirkland & Ellis
    - Weil
    - Latham & Watkins
    - Ropes & Gray

I believe that Debevoise also has a good practice!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Rene

arbitracion

Star Member
  • Sep 28, 2020
    Hi guys! I just saw this on the Cleary Gottlieb page:

"We normally expect candidates to be on course to attain a high 2.1 degree or better from a leading university."

Does this mean that, as a graduate, I can't (or shouldn't) apply?

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi guys! I just saw this on the Cleary Gottlieb page:

"We normally expect candidates to be on course to attain a high 2.1 degree or better from a leading university."

Does this mean that, as a graduate, I can't (or shouldn't) apply?
    If the scheme is eligible for graduates then of course you can apply! I think they’ve just implied here without explicitly stating that some have already obtained the grade

Rene

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2020
    I’ve always been curious about this, for anyone who has done/is doing the GDL in London, have you found that the grant given to you by law firms enough? £8000 seems low for London so was just curious

Reactions: cmaj

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’ve always been curious about this, for anyone who has done/is doing the GDL in London, have you found that the grant given to you by law firms enough? £8000 seems low for London so was just curious

Some people work part time

Some people apply for their post-grad loan too (if they can top it up to a masters). A lot of people live with family to keep costs low. A lot of people also get into debt during this time.

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: cmaj, LS12 and Rene

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    @Jessica Booker A firm I'm applying for has an "Open days, volunteering and law firm presentations" section right after the regular work experience section. It's the same as the work exp, has an unlimited number of entries, though the work descriptions are limited to just 50 words each (whereas it's 250 for the work exp).

How many entries would you suggest mentioning here, since it's a very broad category? In the last 6 months alone I think I've attended 12 - 15 online presentations, but surely that would be too many to mention? If we discount these presentations, I've only got 1 open day and 1 volunteering experience, so I'd like to include at least a couple of presentations alongside that, just not sure which ones / how many to pick. Would law fairs (even if online) also count?

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hi guys! I'm having a bit of a crisis! I was planning on applying to Baker McKenzie's summer vac scheme but I just realised it's only open to penultimate year students and, as I'm a final year student, I must apply to the spring vac scheme. But the deadline for this is tomorrow, it's rolling basis, and I have not started the application at all! What do you guys think I should do? Just whack out an application that may not be the best? or give up now?

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hi guys! I'm having a bit of a crisis! I was planning on applying to Baker McKenzie's summer vac scheme but I just realised it's only open to penultimate year students and, as I'm a final year student, I must apply to the spring vac scheme. But the deadline for this is tomorrow, it's rolling basis, and I have not started the application at all! What do you guys think I should do? Just whack out an application that may not be the best? or give up now?
    Having done the application, I would say it definitely took me a while. I’m sure it could be possible if you really tried to get it done, but realistically I think rushing applications is never a good idea. If the firm is one you’re certain you want to apply to, it might be worth a shot. But I’d say if it’s not top 3 maybe use the time to start prepping for an application that isn’t due so soon!

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019

It says it is open to final years too so I think you're good to apply for summer!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 18.35.24.png
      Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 18.35.24.png
      80 KB · Views: 40

websterl

Sep 14, 2020
    As I did not hear back from Travers Smith about my application, I emailed to ask to withdraw my application from the Winter Vac Scheme so that I could reapply to the Summer Vac Scheme. I received a reply from Grad Rec saying this was fine and that I would have to reapply. I take this to mean they haven't actually looked at my application at all...? I had a similar experience last year, in which they emailed me months after the Vac Scheme to say it was already full. Has anyone had the same experience?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Rene

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2020
    Hi guys, I’m really scared of the WG test since I got 25/40 in my linklaters application and got in the 14th percentile which I know is really bad. I’ve been working non stop since and I did the clifford chance practice test and got 80% overall. with 60% in recognising assumptions. Does anyone know how to improve on recognising assumptions/has any tips, I want to make sure I am as best as I can be in every aspect of the test because I don’t want another application to go to the bin because of this test

• 🏆
    Reactions: cmaj

Rene

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2020
    Hi guys, I’m really scared of the WG test since I got 25/40 in my linklaters application and got in the 14th percentile which I know is really bad. I’ve been working non stop since and I did the clifford chance practice test and got 80% overall. with 60% in recognising assumptions. Does anyone know how to improve on recognising assumptions/has any tips, I want to make sure I am as best as I can be in every aspect of the test because I don’t want another application to go to the bin because of this test
    On a more positive note, if anyone is really bad at these tests don’t lose hope! As shown I was so bad at the WG but still managed to get 2 vac scheme offers from firms that don’t use the WG and even improved with enough practice !! :))

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.