Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That makes sense, but the only event I've been to with the firm I'm applying to was in their US office (since I was studying there at the time), and I'm applying to London. I was thinking of covering all of my US events together in one paragraph since (I'm assuming) they're a bit less relevant than my London events, but maybe that's not the best approach since the firm I'm applying to is in that category?

no - sounds like a good approach - You’ll want to tone down any suggestion that London is plan B after the US

Reactions: Alice G

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
I was wondering how to tackle this question and what White & Case will be looking for me to demonstrate

Details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (350 words max)

For example, is it better to talk about more events but in less detail? Or talk about a few but in greater detail?

Also, in talking about the careers events, is it better to talk more generally about trainee skills, culture etc? Or give a more content driven answer, such as in some of my draft below?

I have also attended open days at Eversheds Sutherland, Baker McKenzie, Clifford Chance, DLA Piper and Simmons & Simmons. On the Baker McKenzie open day, I learned the significance of establishing new structures and vehicles within financial transactions from a talk given by Jeremy Levy on securitisation. I saw the complexity of cross border negotiations and the necessity of local knowledge from a simulated exercise whereby I represented an international travel agency. At Clifford Chance's open day, I learned about the Finance & Capital Markets practice from David Adams. The stages of an asset finance transaction whereby aircraft was leased was outlined, as well as the broader context of solicitors work in the aviation industry.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
I was wondering how to tackle this question and what White & Case will be looking for me to demonstrate

Details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations. These do not need to be White & Case specific. (350 words max)

For example, is it better to talk about more events but in less detail? Or talk about a few but in greater detail?

Also, in talking about the careers events, is it better to talk more generally about trainee skills, culture etc? Or give a more content driven answer, such as in some of my draft below?

I have also attended open days at Eversheds Sutherland, Baker McKenzie, Clifford Chance, DLA Piper and Simmons & Simmons. On the Baker McKenzie open day, I learned the significance of establishing new structures and vehicles within financial transactions from a talk given by Jeremy Levy on securitisation. I saw the complexity of cross border negotiations and the necessity of local knowledge from a simulated exercise whereby I represented an international travel agency. At Clifford Chance's open day, I learned about the Finance & Capital Markets practice from David Adams. The stages of an asset finance transaction whereby aircraft was leased was outlined, as well as the broader context of solicitors work in the aviation industry.

Personally, I just listed all of the events (around 12) in chronological order in the format:
  • Firm - Event (Month and Year)
and got past the application stage, but I'm sure there are many ways to approach it :)

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Ah ok, thank you! Did you write much about each event or just a sentence or two?
I recommend what @Ashton97 has advised here- don’t be thrown by the word count, just keep it factual. The only thing I’d add if you went to an event with W&C themselves, then you could maybe add a line or two about what you learned from the event -note: not what you did, but what you personally learned and took from it

Reactions: AH97

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
I recommend what @Ashton97 has advised here- don’t be thrown by the word count, just keep it factual. The only thing I’d add if you went to an event with W&C themselves, then you could maybe add a line or two about what you learned from the event -note: not what you did, but what you personally learned and took from it

Thank you Alice, very helpful! What about things like insight days? Do they deserve a sentence or two too?

I don't think I have been to 12 standalone workshops or presentations.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you Alice, very helpful! What about things like insight days? Do they deserve a sentence or two too?

Don’t worry about the quantity and I’d only add a line or two if it’s with W&C, if the insight day was with them then yes I would do :)

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019

Also, I'm a graduate so my events date back to 2015, and some of them are just webinars I've attended - I realise 12 may sound like a lot! I'd be happy to share exactly what I wrote if you message me

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
@Jessica Booker If I'm abbreviating a firm's name in question one (e.g. "Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF)"), is it fine to keep referring to the firm as HSF throughout the application, or should I introduce it for the first time in every question as "Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF)"?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker If I'm abbreviating a firm's name in question one (e.g. "Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF)"), is it fine to keep referring to the firm as HSF throughout the application, or should I introduce it for the first time in every question as "Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF)"?

once in the first question/section is fine

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
This may be a silly question but..
In the context of US firms, when talking about the work they do, would you focus on the work that the London firm is known for?
For example, if a firm is known for its corporate takeovers in the US but is only band 3/band 4 in London, is it not worth mentioning as I will be joining the London office?
Is it also redundant to talk about deals that the London office did not work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.