General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2707

Think you pretty much managed it with your part in brackets - saying how much profit you gained in three months would be sufficient in showing success.

Thank you Jessica. Once again so helpful!

I would personally break this down into a simple STAR response: Situation, Task, Action, Response/ Result. I would then link that back to why it's relevant to a career in commercial law, specifically at that firm. E.g.:
"In order to maintain an income stream while at University, I launched a successful online business. I researched my market to understand client needs, spearheaded my efforts in specific areas to ensure that my business was relevant to potential clients and subsequently launched. The business was extremely successful and highly profitable within three months of launch. [This is the STAR component]. Unfortunately, there was a regulatory change which meant I had to cease doing business. I feel that having a first-hand understanding of how law impacts on businesses would make me an ideal candidate for X firm because [list parallels between your skills/ experiences/ beliefs and the firm's aims etc]".

I have been doing this for applications with longer word counts but there are a few which require a cover letter in 300 words and I can't afford to explain my actions in so much detail. It is encouraging to know that my approach is correct though!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica. Once again so helpful!

I have been doing this for applications with longer word counts but there are a few which require a cover letter in 300 words and I can't afford to explain my actions in so much detail. It is encouraging to know that my approach is correct though!

With very limited word count, just focus on the R part. The rest of the STAR format can come out at interview stage.

I am not a big fan of STAR unless it’s for a competency question “tell me about a time you have...” it doesn’t really work in generic statements/cover letters.

Reactions: Deleted member 2707

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

Debevoise and Milbank have a deadline of 3 Jan 2020 on apply4law. Does this mean I have only the rest of today (3ish hours) or the rest of tomorrow also?

Milbank says "Applications will open on Thursday 1st October 2020 and the deadline is Sunday 3rd January 2021 at midnight."

Thanks!

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi all,

Debevoise and Milbank have a deadline of 3 Jan 2020 on apply4law. Does this mean I have only the rest of today (3ish hours) or the rest of tomorrow also?

Milbank says "Applications will open on Thursday 1st October 2020 and the deadline is Sunday 3rd January 2021 at midnight."

Thanks!

Snap, doing Debevoise as well ahaha

Reactions: arbitracion

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    On that note, before I send off, Debevoise ask
    "Have you achieved 360 UCAS points (or equivalent) not including AS-levels and General Studies." This is really odd as UCAS points are usually calculated as your top 3 qualifications. In this instance are they asking for everything? So GCSE and A-Level? Cause 360 at A-Level is unattainable.

@SLKEJRWOI97 What were your thoughts?

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    "Have you achieved 360 UCAS points (or equivalent) not including AS-levels and General Studies." This is really odd as UCAS points are usually calculated as your top 3 qualifications. In this instance are they asking for everything? So GCSE and A-Level? Cause 360 at A-Level is unattainable.

No no, they're asking in the context of the old UCAS points. 360 is AAB at A-level.

Good luck!

Reactions: Celestie

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Uhoh, I just realised in my notes that I wrote the wrong law fair name next to a firm. In my application to a firm I said xyz about meeting their GR at 'Legal Cheek Law Fair' (they didn't attend it) but it was actually the university of law. Should I email GR saying I made the mistake? Literally kicking myself.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

Thanks!

Means 23.59 tomorrow.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Uhoh, I just realised in my notes that I wrote the wrong law fair name next to a firm. In my application to a firm I said xyz about meeting their GR at 'Legal Cheek Law Fair' (they didn't attend it) but it was actually the university of law. Should I email GR saying I made the mistake? Literally kicking myself.

No - emailing them isn't going to help. I don't think it will be an issue and that in itself that would mean your application was unsuccessful.

Reactions: Celestie

arbitracion

Star Member
  • Sep 28, 2020
    Hi guys, just a quick question. I'm applying to one firm, and I wish to mention another firm's open day in an answer. Is it ok to mention the firm's name or should I say something like "at another silver circle firm..."?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One firm is asking for 2 academic references, but naturally I only my personal tutor as a referee. Not sure what do, since the deadline is tomorrow

School/sixth form academic reference if you are in you are still in your undergrad degree?

Postgrad academic reference if you are not?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, just a quick question. I'm applying to one firm, and I wish to mention another firm's open day in an answer. Is it ok to mention the firm's name or should I say something like "at another silver circle firm..."?

Just mention the firm’s name. The vagueness of not mentioning it will be more suspicious than saying the firm’s name.

Reactions: Jaysen and arbitracion

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They mean your top three A-levels (so basically 3 As using the old tariff system)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.