General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
When talking about a commercial deal (this one is M&A) do I have to focus purely on the transactional aspect of it? Or can I bring up the disputes that came out of it and implications.
It’s the word ‘deal’ that’s throwing me off.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When talking about a commercial deal (this one is M&A) do I have to focus purely on the transactional aspect of it? Or can I bring up the disputes that came out of it and implications.

what context - application question or interview? Do you have the specifics of the question?

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    "What do you hope to get out of a career at a Firm like ours?"

Kinda sat staring at the screen at this one. I have stated I want to develop my skills and become a well-rounded international lawyer. I am not sure what else this question is looking for.

Reactions: arbitracion

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Kinda sat staring at the screen at this one. I have stated I want to develop my skills and become a well-rounded international lawyer. I am not sure what else this question is looking for.

Try to be more specific. What skills exactly? What will those skills do to keep you happy/healthy? What else do you want to achieve/hope for?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Agreed with Jess. I'd try to think broadly here - what else matters to you in a career at the firm? You could also develop skills and become a well-rounded lawyer at many City firms, what do you hope to achieve at that particular firm?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    An application question!
    It’s the Debevoise ‘tell us about a commercial deal that interests you- if you could represent a side which would it be and why?’

This is actually a really interesting question!

Personally, I would say that it needs a bit of planning. Firstly, I would start by going through a few different recent deals (probably start with ones that Debevoise have been involved in) and do some wider research on them. The key in this instance is to choose a deal where a good amount of analysis can be done rather than 'any old deal' with no added dimensions of complexity. I would consider whether the deal was particularly challenging (e.g., was it challenged by competition authorities?) or whether it was particularly nuanced in some manner or another (was it using a particularly unusual type of financing, for example?). If you can find a deal with which you have some sort of personal link or interest, this is all the better. Notwithstanding the fact that Debevoise haven't been involved in the process (I think Skadden and Sullivan were the lead counsel respectively), I think the Tiffany-LVMH deal is a prime example of the sort of deal you might look to discuss in a question such as this- it's one which I personally have used.

Read in a decent amount of depth about both sides of the deal- decide which you think is the most interesting from a legal standpoint, and then build your answer from there.

Hope this helps!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    AG don't have anywhere to add in your extracurriculars apart from a box stating "Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?"
    I have had elected 5 society positions so the 2,000 character limit does not let me cover it properly. In this occasion, could I add the most demanding (one is a presidency) to the work experience section?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    AG don't have anywhere to add in your extracurriculars apart from a box stating "Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?"
    I have had elected 5 society positions so the 2,000 character limit does not let me cover it properly. In this occasion, could I add the most demanding (one is a presidency) to the work experience section?

Personally I wouldn’t. It might be the case that the firm just doesn’t value extra curriculars in the same way.

Reactions: Celestie

KT

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I am currently preparing for an upcoming assessment center and have heard that a competency question about integrity usually comes up. For example: Tell me about a time when your integrity was challenged.

I'm very unsure how to answer this question and have been trying to think of an example to use but have found this quite difficult. Any information I find online talks about how in a previous position someone was asked to lie for a client or to alter timesheets etc. but being a university student still I obviously do not have anything of that sort to say.

Does anyone know how someone without substantial work experience can go about answering this question? Is there something specific that the interviewer is looking for that I am missing?

Thanks a lot for any help! :)

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I am currently preparing for an upcoming assessment center and have heard that a competency question about integrity usually comes up. For example: Tell me about a time when your integrity was challenged.

I'm very unsure how to answer this question and have been trying to think of an example to use but have found this quite difficult. Any information I find online talks about how in a previous position someone was asked to lie for a client or to alter timesheets etc. but being a university student still I obviously do not have anything of that sort to say.

Does anyone know how someone without substantial work experience can go about answering this question? Is there something specific that the interviewer is looking for that I am missing?

Maybe a university colleague asked you to send your assignment to them? You can talk about plagiarism guidelines etc...
    Or if you ever worked in a restaurant/bar, maybe a colleague tried to skip some cleaning duties and you had to remind them of health & safety guidelines?

• 🏆
    Reactions: CMD and KT

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi everyone!

You can also be a little more abstract here: did a sibling once break something at home and ask you to lie for them, for example? The key thing isn't the situation per se but more how you handled it in a manner to show good personal integrity.

• 🏆
    Reactions: CMD and KT

KT

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Maybe a university colleague asked you to send your assignment to them? You can talk about plagiarism guidelines etc...
    Or if you ever worked in a restaurant/bar, maybe a colleague tried to skip some cleaning duties and you had to remind them of health & safety guidelines?

These are some great examples :D Not sure why I didn't think of the plagiarism one as it definitely happened to me before so thank you so much for helping jog up my memory!

Reactions: CMD and Helpme12345

KT

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    You can also be a little more abstract here: did a sibling once break something at home and ask you to lie for them, for example? The key thing isn't the situation per se but more how you handled it in a manner to show good personal integrity.

Thanks a lot for the prompt answer Jacob! I'll make sure to focus more on how I handled things.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    This is actually a really interesting question!

Personally, I would say that it needs a bit of planning. Firstly, I would start by going through a few different recent deals (probably start with ones that Debevoise have been involved in) and do some wider research on them. The key in this instance is to choose a deal where a good amount of analysis can be done rather than 'any old deal' with no added dimensions of complexity. I would consider whether the deal was particularly challenging (e.g., was it challenged by competition authorities?) or whether it was particularly nuanced in some manner or another (was it using a particularly unusual type of financing, for example?). If you can find a deal with which you have some sort of personal link or interest, this is all the better. Notwithstanding the fact that Debevoise haven't been involved in the process (I think Skadden and Sullivan were the lead counsel respectively), I think the Tiffany-LVMH deal is a prime example of the sort of deal you might look to discuss in a question such as this- it's one which I personally have used.

Read in a decent amount of depth about both sides of the deal- decide which you think is the most interesting from a legal standpoint, and then build your answer from there.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you! I did in fact use the LVMH - Tiffany deal as I worked for Pandora so direct interest there! Hopefully they like my answer. Thank you so much :)

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    If I am asked the question outline a time you have demonstrated leadership skills do I need to make reference to a particular event or can I discuss my time leading a pro Bono project and my achievements over the period I was in this role (2 years)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I am asked the question outline a time you have demonstrated leadership skills do I need to make reference to a particular event or can I discuss my time leading a pro Bono project and my achievements over the period I was in this role (2 years)?

Either is fine. You need to focus on the leadership aspects though.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Just to add to Jacob's response, I highlighted some things you can think about when considering what was challenging/interesting about the deal here:

a) I agree with Jessica, it doesn't need to align with your skills, but I think it always comes across better when you are able to back up your interest in a particular area with tangible experiences. This can be anything from maybe attending a presentation with a firm on a certain practice area, doing a module at university, or any work experience you've had. You could also think of this not just from the perspective of what type of legal deal it is (i.e. disputes/M&A/finance) but about what industry the deal touches on. So if its a deal in the pharmaceutical, automobile or retail industry for example - think about if you have any experiences that could help tie your interest to those areas.

b) Definitely just pick the side that interests you. However, if you feel worried about not having enough things to discuss some things you can consider when picking a side -
    • Was there a non UK client/side? (if it involves an emerging market there could potentially be a lot to discuss in terms of emerging regulations and political complexities of executing the deal)
    • Was there a side which needed the deal to go through because particularly of urgent commercial considerations? (maybe it was an investment in a new technology needed to keep up with competitors)
    • Is it a particularly well known/big client? - could introduce further issues like confidentiality (particularly if it was a listed client)
    Side note: If you are choosing an M&A deal/transactional deal, I'd say don't pick the side that's advising the banks just because lender documentation on these types of deals can be very standard and its usually the companies that have a lot of issues they want to push back on in negotiations.

c) Don't think this matters as much. If it is a well known deal you could find a lot of background information that could really help you go into detail but if it's an obscure one you might struggle slightly more.

Hope it helps gives you some ideas :)

Reactions: arbitracion
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.