Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Does anyone have some tips for the VRT? I seem to choose ‘Cannot Say’ too often. Does anyone have suggestions on how to easily differentiate when it would be appropriate to use ‘Cannot Say’?

Flora2580

Aug 8, 2020
    Guys; would you say resilience is sort of adaptability? I’m having a hard time recognising where I would draw a resilience example from

I reckon you could definitely interpret it as adaptability. I don't see it as too indifferent to questions that ask about a time you've had to recover from a challenge

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    Guys; would you say resilience is sort of adaptability? I’m having a hard time recognising where I would draw a resilience example from
    I think they overlap but I would say resilience looks at how you respond to a setback or challenge, whereas adaptability looks at how you respond to something new or different.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone have some tips for the VRT? I seem to choose ‘Cannot Say’ too often. Does anyone have suggestions on how to easily differentiate when it would be appropriate to use ‘Cannot Say’?
    Still waiting to see if I passed the VRT I did recently ... but I just think of it as is it definitely/logically true or false. Really think if what in the statement is fully covered by the paragraph.

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Does anyone which other firms also recruit on a CV-blind basis? For example, Irwin Mitchell only asked for the overall degree classification (2:1, 2:2 etc) without any specific module grades and no GCSEs. Would be interested to know if any other firms do this too!

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019

I often took the approach that cannot say applies where there is no mention of the statement in the text. True and false is applicable when you can find evidence in the text to back it up

Last edited:

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I often took the approach that cannot say applies where there is no mention of the statement. True and false is applicable when you can find evidence in the text to back it up

That’s a good way to look at! I question if I don’t infer enough and therefore just fall back on cannot say.

Reactions: Naomi U

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'd tend to say they're slightly different.

For me, adaptability is being able to change a plan and work around something unexpected etc- i.e. accommodating a change.
    Resilience is more perseverance through a challenging time or situation.

While it is true that certain times when you've used resilience you may also have needed to adapt, and vice versa (I can definitely say that this has been true of my experiences), this will not always be the case- i.e., adaptability will not always necessitate resilience and resilience will not always necessitate adaptability.

To that end, I would approach them as two different questions using two different examples.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Naomi U

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Resilience: determination to succeed through something difficult, challenging, or uncomfortable

Adaptability: recognising an approach or view needs to change to ensure things are better

There will be cross over, but I wouldn’t expect every resilience answer to fit adaptability and vice versa. Adapting can be uncomfortable though, so there could be cross over depending on the example.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Does anyone which other firms also recruit on a CV-blind basis? For example, Irwin Mitchell only asked for the overall degree classification (2:1, 2:2 etc) without any specific module grades and no GCSEs. Would be interested to know if any other firms do this too!

I know Addleshaw Goddard use a similar system and don't ask for module grades/titles.

Am I right in thinking Irwin Mitchell also didn't include space to input your A-level results? I don't remember putting these on my application, unless I've missed something :/

Reactions: H S

c0808

Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Does anyone have the email address for Akin Gump's graduate recruitment team? I have to email them regarding an update on my academic records but can't find their contact details anywhere

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It is exceptionally busy in the forums at the moment and I am getting inundated with PMs. PMs are often about very common themes and so it would be better for these questions to be posted in the forums to avoid duplication.

PMs should only really be used if the matter contains personal information specific to you. If your query doesn't include this, please post it in an appropriate thread and tag me in it using the @ function

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.