General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi everybody! I was wondering if there were any threads available or if anybody had any examples of questions that may be asked at an interview where there is a discussion based on your application/cv? Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When asked in a competency interview, for example "tell me about a time you recently worked in a team", how recent does your example have to be? Could it be from a year ago? @Jessica Booker I would be grateful for your insight :)

Yes - a year is fine, especially given current circumstances where team working isn’t always straight forward or you have numerous opportunities

• ℹ️
Reactions: Holly and Bugsy Malone

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Is it appropriate to follow up with GR if it's taken over a month for a response after a WG? Or should I assume a rejection is imminent...? :(
    Personally I wouldn't follow up post-WG. Grad Rec will be exceptionally busy at the moment, especially if they're WFH, and they'll receive dozens of emails asking similar questions. I know the wait is exceedingly hard but just try and concentrate/ distract yourself with other stuff to try and make it easier! Also don't assume a rejection is imminent, it might be the case that they're just weighing up different apps against each other to decide on exactly who to ask to interview so it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be knocked back!

Very best of luck :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: law2021

law2021

Star Member
    Dec 1, 2020
    Personally I wouldn't follow up post-WG. Grad Rec will be exceptionally busy at the moment, especially if they're WFH, and they'll receive dozens of emails asking similar questions. I know the wait is exceedingly hard but just try and concentrate/ distract yourself with other stuff to try and make it easier! Also don't assume a rejection is imminent, it might be the case that they're just weighing up different apps against each other to decide on exactly who to ask to interview so it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be knocked back!

Very best of luck :)
    Thank you for getting back to me! :)

Beth P

Jan 9, 2021
    Hi! I was wondering whether someone could help me in distinguishing the answers for the following questions:

'How can X overcome the challenges it faces in a saturated legal market' and
    'How does X differentiate itself from other firms'

I'm not sure how to answer these differently in the same application. Thanks in advance!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hi! I was wondering whether someone could help me in distinguishing the answers for the following questions:

I'm not sure how to answer these differently in the same application. Thanks in advance!

My view:

1. Identify the challenges the firm faces in the legal market focussing on the client perspective and then what it can do to overcome them: gaining new clients, retention, pricing models, ALSPs, onshoring etc.
    2. How does the firm differentiate itself from others: training, work, structure, business model/strategy, thought leadership, how they add value, international presence, collaboration, use of legal tech etc.

There is some overlap but the first question is asking you to identify the challenges and then provide solutions. The second is just asking you to show your understanding of how the firm differs.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Zoo and Holly

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I really like @Ricky's points here. I think for question one, the key thing to show is a consistent drive towards meeting client needs without ever compromising the quality of advice and service that it offers. I would also add that leveraging technology is increasingly important in this context.
    In terms of question two, I think Ricky covers pretty much all bases here. In addition, the one thing I'd say (and I give this advice quite often) is don't focus much on culture here unless you've spent a decent amount of time with the firm before- there's no credibility to an answer on culture if you've not spent time with them to experience it.

V best of luck with your applications!

Reactions: Zoo and Ricky

Beth P

Jan 9, 2021
    My view:

1. Identify the challenges the firm faces in the legal market focussing on the client perspective and then what it can do to overcome them: gaining new clients, retention, pricing models, ALSPs, onshoring etc.
    2. How does the firm differentiate itself from others: training, work, structure, business model/strategy, thought leadership, how they add value, international presence, collaboration, use of legal tech etc.

There is some overlap but the first question is asking you to identify the challenges and then provide solutions. The second is just asking you to show your understanding of how the firm differs.

I really like @Ricky's points here. I think for question one, the key thing to show is a consistent drive towards meeting client needs without ever compromising the quality of advice and service that it offers. I would also add that leveraging technology is increasingly important in this context.
    In terms of question two, I think Ricky covers pretty much all bases here. In addition, the one thing I'd say (and I give this advice quite often) is don't focus much on culture here unless you've spent a decent amount of time with the firm before- there's no credibility to an answer on culture if you've not spent time with them to experience it.

Thank you so much both of you. Super useful and makes much more sense now!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018

Completely agree about culture. Have heard several GR say don't talk about it in applications as it is just too generic. There is so much else to talk about and link back to you.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    If a firm is non-rolling. Do they read the applications in a random order?
    Idk the specific answer to whether some firms read them in a random order but some non-rolling firms read applications as they come in to manage volume but only send out AC invites after the deadline

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It will depend on the firm's individual practices. They might read in random order, alphabetical order, or some form of algorithmic order. @Jessica Booker will probably be best placed to advise here.

Lots of different ways this is done. Alphabetical is possible but isn’t a very good way of doing it (tends to favour different nationalities).

They may rank it on something like test scores (if they have used that).

Could just be completely random.

They still may review by when you applied, but just review after applications are received.

Reactions: Alison C
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.