General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
What's generally expected when the dress code for an interview is formal? Is a blouse (neutral coloured, patterned or plain) acceptable if wearing a blazer and pencil skirt/suit trousers?

KT

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to structure or approach the question of: 'tell me about a time you were part of a high-performing team.'

It sounds like the team had to be always high-performing and so I'm not quite sure how to use the STAR approach for example to show what I action I took since when I am usually asked just 'tell me about a time you worked well in a team' I use an example from an internship I had where the team wasn't necessarily amazing at first but I took steps to improve the teamwork within the team.

Is the question looking for you to, instead of a strict STAR approach of what you did, just state why you think it was so high-performing in its characteristics in general rather than what YOU did within the team to make it high-performing?

Thanks for the help!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to structure or approach the question of: 'tell me about a time you were part of a high-performing team.'

It sounds like the team had to be always high-performing and so I'm not quite sure how to use the STAR approach for example to show what I action I took since when I am usually asked just 'tell me about a time you worked well in a team' I use an example from an internship I had where the team wasn't necessarily amazing at first but I took steps to improve the teamwork within the team.

Is the question looking for you to, instead of a strict STAR approach of what you did, just state why you think it was so high-performing in its characteristics in general rather than what YOU did within the team to make it high-performing?

Thanks for the help!

I'll admit the high performing aspect is something I've never come across myself. I would still use the STAR approach and explain what I thought made the team high performing. Some things I'd maybe think about are:

1. Did I have to adapt to taking a more team player role rather than being a leader? (since it was so highly performing anyway)
    2. Was there a clash of ideas or strong personalities that I had to deal with?
    3. If the everything really did proceed without any issues (rarely ever the case I think) then what are the things that I learnt from that and I have I tried to apply those things in other situations?

Hope that helps!

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    Hey guys - I’m trying to edit my freshfields application as I wanted to add some extra info/details, but I can’t find an edit submission option? I believe the deadline is later this evening so I’m not quite sure what to do !

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Hey guys - I’m trying to edit my freshfields application as I wanted to add some extra info/details, but I can’t find an edit submission option? I believe the deadline is later this evening so I’m not quite sure what to do !

There should be an option which says edit on top corner, which will allow you to edit and I believe there is a save button too.

I saw @Celestie say they edited, may they can provide further guidance :)

Reactions: NK

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020
    I have seen people have edited after submission too, so that is odd. I think log off and log back in :)
    Ah really ? I just got in touch with the recruitment team and they said it can’t be amended once it’s been submitted :( oh well, I don’t think the information I wanted to add will make a big difference

beccaccia

Sep 15, 2020
    I just checked Freshfields' Instagram and it says that the deadline is 23.59 tonight.
    It could be the case that the person who said that his deadline shows as 18.59 is not in UK at the minute.

Yeah I wondered that too, thanks for confirming. Had a bit of a heart attack when I saw that post and thought it was worth clarifying for my sake and anyone else similarly concerned!

Reactions: bzheng and nicole88
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.