Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone! Does anyone know whether it is more advantageous (re securing a TC) to choose earlier scheme dates for a vacation scheme? I have a summer one coming up and have been given the choice to do either July or August start.

It won't work like that.

The firm will look at candidates equally across the vacation schemes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your response to my post and anyone else that did too. I graduated in 2016 and have been a paralegal ever since outside of London so i have the experience but i wanted to have a backup plan in case i couldn't secure another paralegal role in the city! I asked between that pay range because i do know of people who went on to do compliance jobs and easily make this amount, so i know it is definitely possible. I just wanted to know about other industry areas where people have been successful. Thanks again :)

Those compliance roles will be competitive too - I have recruited a number of compliance roles, and despite it not being the most attractive area, they will be as popular as paralegal roles, especially in areas like Finance/Investment

If you have 3-4+ years experience, 30k will be much more possible than those coming straight out of uni.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

This only applies to a small minority of people, but just a quick note:

One of the great things about this forum is how candidates will often share insights/experiences to help other candidates. Now, while there's nothing wrong with messaging a candidate privately after they post, please also respect the fact that it's completely within their right to not want to share more information. If they don't want to do so, please don't pester them - it's just going to stop people from wanting to share information with the rest of the forum.

Thanks!

• 🏆
    Reactions: HD, J32, Shaz and 9 others

STWO

Distinguished Member
    Jan 5, 2019
    Those compliance roles will be competitive too - I have recruited a number of compliance roles, and despite it not being the most attractive area, they will be as popular as paralegal roles, especially in areas like Finance/Investment

If you have 3-4+ years experience, 30k will be much more possible than those coming straight out of uni.

Well I guess there really isn't any job out there that isn't competitive right?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Well I guess there really isn't any job out there that isn't competitive right?

probably not in the next 6 months, no.... unless you want to work in social care.

But the area you are in will be one of those that is actually less competitive than you think

TLC20

Standard Member
    Mar 15, 2020
    probably not in the next 6 months, no.... unless you want to work in social care.

But the area you are in will be one of those that is actually less competitive than you think

Hi there - I know theres been quite a lot of comments on this already. However, thought it may be useful to come in on the point of civil service outside of the Fast Stream there are a lot of other CS professions which have starting salaries in pay band D/HEO which is upwards of £32k. If you've paralegalled for 3/4 years you should have plenty to offer particularly in Project Delivery roles which is a huge amount of what key departments do. Also despite the challenging times Government is still recruiting and not just experts.

Happy to share more insights for context I was a private/public sector paralegal for 3.5years before joining Government and receiving promotions/pay increases (alongside that I also done LPC masters conversion and quite a bit of professional development in my departments).

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Agree with the above - although even roles in the civil service are unlikely to meet the £30k mark unless you are going in with experience or a very specific set of knowledge they need.

But even then those roles are more competitive than law firms to be frank with people! Having seen how recruitment works across various sectors, including the civil service, law is actually one of the least competitive sectors - it just sets very high standards/has high expectations.

Try applying to some finance roles in the investment industry where you can easily get over 1000 applications per vacancy!

I was on the Civil Service Fast stream. Starting salary was £31.5k but varies by department, some paid more but they’re all around the £30k mark (this was back when I graduated 7 or so years ago so may well have gone up). The trouble is there isn’t much scope for increase...the average career high salary for fast streamers is about £55k. The only saving grace is the pension.

Civil Service was tougher than big 4 in terms of assessment process but I personally think law is more competitive than CS, for graduate level roles anyway. I had 1.5 days of assessment centres and the standard was high but if you met it you got a job...it was also a lot easier to get to that stage than it is for city law firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was on the Civil Service Fast stream. Starting salary was £31.5k but varies by department, some paid more but they’re all around the £30k mark (this was back when I graduated 7 or so years ago so may well have gone up). The trouble is there isn’t much scope for increase...the average career high salary for fast streamers is about £55k. The only saving grace is the pension.

Civil Service was tougher than big 4 in terms of assessment process but I personally think law is more competitive than CS, for graduate level roles anyway. I had 1.5 days of assessment centres and the standard was high but if you met it you got a job...it was also a lot easier to get to that stage than it is for city law firms.

Current minimum starting salary for the CSFS is £27k. HM Treasury’s is £28.5k, GLS is £28k.

I know the recruitment well - trust me it’s far more competitive in general, they are just looking for every different things than law firms who are just super selective in what they want.

Does depend on what CS department you apply to though. The GES scheme given the eligibility criteria is far less competitive than some of the general programmes. Their assessment centres typically work on a basis of 2.5-3 candidates per vacancy though.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ice_Fast_Stream_Annual_Report_2017_-_2018.pdf

Other difference with CS hiring is that it is all based on the best candidates getting the job. However this does mean that they offer no matter what the standard - they don’t tend to re-recruit. Law firms don’t do that - if candidates aren’t good enough, they won’t hire and would just reopen applications (so highly unlikely though).

My comment about the CS was about the CS more generally though. Many more grads enter the CS on non graduate scheme routes, and on lower pay grades.

Last edited:

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I am finishing the GDL in a couple of months but have not yet managed to secure a TC. I am hesitant about starting the LPC in September because I don't have a TC, so I am looking to potentially paralegal/intern for the next academic year. Does anyone have any advice about applying for paralegal/intern positions, or has been in a similar situation to the one I am in?

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful :)

So, I like your strategy but take into account two elements.

1) most of the jobs advertised require the LPC which makes sense. So in order to overcome this hurdle, I would consider taking part in various projects with companies like Epiq Global, KLDiscovery. These are companies to whom law firms outsource document review type of work. I know people who also worked at the Serious Fraud Office without the LPC.
    2) It took me months to find a paralegal position but things changed once I accepted a non-legal role. I worked in Insurance (boring admin job) and it completely changed my career.

Last edited:

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Current minimum starting salary for the CSFS is £27k. HM Treasury’s is £28.5k, GLS is £28k.

I know the recruitment well - trust me it’s far more competitive in general, they are just looking for every different things than law firms who are just super selective in what they want.

Does depend on what CS department you apply to though. The GES scheme given the eligibility criteria is far less competitive than some of the general programmes. Their assessment centres typically work on a basis of 2.5-3 candidates per vacancy though.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ice_Fast_Stream_Annual_Report_2017_-_2018.pdf

Other difference with CS hiring is that it is all based on the best candidates getting the job. However this does mean that they offer no matter what the standard - they don’t tend to re-recruit. Law firms don’t do that - if candidates aren’t good enough, they won’t hire and would just reopen applications (so highly unlikely though).

My comment about the CS was about the CS more generally though. Many more grads enter the CS on non graduate scheme routes, and on lower pay grades.

Fair enough, that's interesting to know. Is that in terms of the percentage of applicants who get a place in law vs Civil Service? I guess there would be a smaller pool of applicants for law. I do think a training contract is tougher to get but I guess that's not the same thing. I may also be forgetting how tough and rigorous the assessment centres were, you could be amazing at 5/7 of the broad things they're looking for but still get rejected based on not meeting the minimum in the other two. Plus in law it's amplified by the fact you're going through the stages multiple times due to the number of applications you need to make, so that's probably skewed my view.

Re: GES, I agree to some extent but then you still had to pass the fast stream assessment centre, so you were competing against generalists and if you passed you're passing the same tests as the generalists. So personally I'd say GES and other technical streams are harder, as you have to pass both the fast stream and technical assessment centres (but they also pay more and I don't know if things have changed since). The GES used to end up with a shortage of fast streamers as a result, plenty of colleagues failed the Fast Stream AC and came in below HEO. They ended up in the same place in the long run though. I know a lot of the chief economists weren't keen on the fast stream for that reason, they were looking for more specific skills, possibly not too dissimilarly to law firms.

Re: standards - in my experience they do reopen if no candidates meet the required standard, you have to meet the minimum requirements - though I have known some terrible candidates get promotions into different departments. I put that more down to flaws in the focus on competencies and the subjectivity of those minimum standards, you could be terrible but say the right buzzwords and get through. My experiences are limited to the departments I worked in though, plus things may have changed since then.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Re: standards - in my experience they do reopen if no candidates meet the required standard, you have to meet the minimum requirements - though I have known some terrible candidates get promotions into different departments. I put that more down to flaws in the focus on competencies and the subjectivity of those minimum standards, you could be terrible but say the right buzzwords and get through. My experiences are limited to the departments I worked in though, plus things may have changed since then.

I think competitiveness and standards/requirements keep getting mixed up in this conversation.

Application numbers per vacancy are generally much higher for CS departments than law - there are some exceptions where specific requirements are needed (like GES). I’d say overall standard of candidates are actually very similar it is just that law firms are looking for very specific things, while CS departments are looking for more generalist skills/attitudes. That will be “tougher” for some people and easier for others.

CS departments set a minimum pass mark for candidates and then rank people based on scores, both at screening and at assessment centres. Those with the highest scores get offers first. They have to do this due to their hiring principles, auditing and reporting required. Means plenty of people can do well in assessments but are not the right candidates - that doesn’t happen in law (and many other industries).

Last edited:
    Reactions: k01010

epwz98

Oct 31, 2019
    Hi, can I ask what’s the standard when it comes to case study? Because I usually do quite well with competency and commercial knowledge, but I find the case study quite tricky and there are usually moments where I give the wrong answers or am unsure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, can I ask what’s the standard when it comes to case study? Because I usually do quite well with competency and commercial knowledge, but I find the case study quite tricky and there are usually moments where I give the wrong answers or am unsure.

There isn’t an answer to this question.

It will depend on the case study/the firm.

Reactions: k01010
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.