Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks - the email is surprisingly vague, as is their website. The email from the test provider even spells the firm's name wrong ha.
Ah I see, I wonder if it might be worth asking? Though I would be fairly confident that you will have the standard time allowed for the WG which I do believe is 30 mins

Reactions: Changes

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Do you think it's a good idea to discuss,in an interview, Coronavirus as a "commercial story" which "affects law firms"? This topic is ubiquitous nowadays and I feel like it's hard to avoid it, but it's not a commercial story per se.

My own personal take on these questions is to avoid anything cliche or overly current. I start this by saying that by doing either of what I mentioned to avoid, you are not doing the 'wrong' thing. They are absolutely fine to do. And, if those are what you are comfortable dealing with, then stick to it

However, I feel that in the sea of applicants you want to stand out. Thus, at a time like this, can bet that almost all applicants are talking about the same 3/4 issues. So, in order to stand out, I chose to take on a lesser-known topic. Also, it was great to learn about an upskill my commercial knowledge as I had no clue about it before. I can assure you, in interview, when it came to discussing this topic, the interviewer's eyes lit up and they were immediately engaged. I could tell they were probably fed up of hearing about AI and FinTech!

Just my 2p.

Any general advice for the Watson Glaser? Is it the same format for all firms? How long does it take typically?

I'm doing one for Baker M. and have done some practice tests, not finding them too bad. Have just done the Clifford Chance one and found that although it gives 50 minutes, I was done in less than 15 minutes...was it just a lot easier than the real deal or do they take account of the time taken in your score?

Thanks.

As mentioned above, they are fairly consistent. Do lots of practise tests with the same provider and you'll come across the same questions!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Daniel Boden, Miki3999 and Changes

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
My own personal take on these questions is to avoid anything cliche or overly current. I start this by saying that by doing either of what I mentioned to avoid, you are not doing the 'wrong' thing. They are absolutely fine to do. And, if those are what you are comfortable dealing with, then stick to it

However, I feel that in the sea of applicants you want to stand out. Thus, at a time like this, can bet that almost all applicants are talking about the same 3/4 issues. So, in order to stand out, I chose to take on a lesser-known topic. Also, it was great to learn about an upskill my commercial knowledge as I had no clue about it before. I can assure you, in interview, when it came to discussing this topic, the interviewer's eyes lit up and they were immediately engaged. I could tell they were probably fed up of hearing about AI and FinTech!

Just my 2p.

As mentioned above, they are fairly consistent. Do lots of practise tests with the same provider and you'll come across the same questions!

I do agree with this and think going for more niche topics can be good and probably interesting for an interviewer, but you absolutely need to make sure you know about it inside and out. I say this only because it could be that the interviewer is an authority on this and can therefore really challenge you or, indeed, they may not know as much and so might drill down into the topic in seeking you to explain your understanding more fully. I also find it is good to pick something you genuinely find interesting as opposed to discussing something that you do not. You are far more likely to be motivated to research a topic of genuine interest to the level you will need to do to go into an interview and be able to answer anything on it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Miki3999

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Got through to interview with Reed Smith which has been postponed whilst they look at alternative processes for the vac scheme. Today I received an email asking to 'please make use' of a strengths assessment by the end of this month. I already completed a strengths assessment at the application stage. Do you think this new strengths test is part of the interview process? I'm unsure because of the wording -'make use' rather than 'complete'? Not ideal if the interview process is starting soon as we get closer to exams but glad it's moving forward somewhat.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I do agree with this and think going for more niche topics can be good and probably interesting for an interviewer, but you absolutely need to make sure you know about it inside and out. I say this only because it could be that the interviewer is an authority on this and can therefore really challenge you or, indeed, they may not know as much and so might drill down into the topic in seeking you to explain your understanding more fully. I also find it is good to pick something you genuinely find interesting as opposed to discussing something that you do not. You are far more likely to be motivated to research a topic of genuine interest to the level you will need to do to go into an interview and be able to answer anything on it.

I 100% agree with this - Do not research something just because you think it'll make you look good. I hope that wasn't what I was conveying in my post. I chose a topic that I was interested in, supported my narrative, and had commercial application.

Furthermore - Yes. Ensure you know it. In two of my interviews, the Partner immediately seized upon the remarks I made in relation to my commercial topic. Both had very strong views on the matter and it was a bone of contention in recent work they had completed. They wanted to know what I knew about it, how I knew about it, and what my opinion was. In that respect, it can be tougher and in interview, you are potentially making life hard for yourself. Conversely, its a chance to stand out!

Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
I submitted Bakers McKenzie's WG test yesterday. How long does it usually take for you to receive an automatic rejection email?

I did mine yesterday afternoon and have just received an invite to VI. So must be pretty swift. Also suggests they review apps quite intently pre-tests, given how much longer it got to get the test invite.

For those seeking info in future (I was asking yesterday) the test was 30 minutes and the standard format. The timer paused for instructions before each section and you couldn’t go back to a previous section once you’d completed it (could go back through questions for the section you were on).

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I 100% agree with this - Do not research something just because you think it'll make you look good. I hope that wasn't what I was conveying in my post. I chose a topic that I was interested in, supported my narrative, and had commercial application.

Furthermore - Yes. Ensure you know it. In two of my interviews, the Partner immediately seized upon the remarks I made in relation to my commercial topic. Both had very strong views on the matter and it was a bone of contention in recent work they had completed. They wanted to know what I knew about it, how I knew about it, and what my opinion was. In that respect, it can be tougher and in interview, you are potentially making life hard for yourself. Conversely, its a chance to stand out!
No not at all - I just thought I would pitch in a little and offer my two cents :) but very well said and it sounds like you did this very well indeed :) :)

NickyRaykes

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
I did mine yesterday afternoon and have just received an invite to VI. So must be pretty swift. Also suggests they review apps quite intently pre-tests, given how much longer it got to get the test invite.

For those seeking info in future (I was asking yesterday) the test was 30 minutes and the standard format. The timer paused for instructions before each section and you couldn’t go back to a previous section once you’d completed it (could go back through questions for the section you were on).
Hey - could I kindly ask when you submitted your application?

ShelleyEds

Sep 19, 2019

Can I ask when you have to complete the VI by? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.