General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hello all! I have just discovered this site and just wanted to say it's so great to hear everyone sharing stories, made me feel not so alone in this process :)

I did 2 vacation schemes at Womble Bond Dickinson and Mills and Reeve in 2018, and am in full time employment as a paralegal. Is anyone else only applying for direct TCs? I'm finding it increasingly nerve wracking as I haven't heard anything from anyone so far (except some WG invitations). Are all direct applicants in the same boat? (Applied to BCLP, FF, Hogan Lovells, Ashurst, Dentons, Hill Dickinson). Thanks :)

When did you apply for BCLP? Have you heard back yet?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you.

The email has just come through with the link and we have a week to complete it so I may still do some research on the format and what to expect beforehand.

some links to show you what it’s like:

You should be aware they have different games that assess different things, and so you may find the type of games you have to go through are different from those shown in the links

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, is anyone still waiting for a response from Penningtons (London office) after applying? I’m expecting a pfo but would be nice to get official confirmation

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Did the VI for Lewis Silkin earlier. One piece of advice, don’t waste time prepping...just dive straight in. Not the sort of questions you can realistically prep for. I spent the day preparing competency examples but they were useless. At least they’ll be useful for others.

They did say in the email that no prep was needed in fairness...

hope yours went better than mine because that first question was so unexpected I had nothing to say and just rambled and couldn’t really recover after that. Definitely wouldn’t call those questions competency based. Oh well.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
hope yours went better than mine because that first question was so unexpected I had nothing to say and just rambled and couldn’t really recover after that. Definitely wouldn’t call those questions competency based. Oh well.

Not just me then...hopefully that's some consolation for you. Yeah, they weren't competency based at all, more a test of thinking on your feet.

The first question, I couldn't think of an example where I'd been in that situation. Managed to after the fact but had to go back about 14 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.