Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I didn’t receive any official individual grades on a transcript, I went to sydney & they gave me my results back for my exams but my official transcript for my second year says my semester one modules in London and for the semester two in Sydney it just says P for pass and the amount of credits it translates to! The semester didn’t count at all even if I got 100% it would be a pass

But you received results from the exams? If so I would list these but explain they will be recorded as a pass on your transcript

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey, quick question, our university has a compulsory module (an interdisciplinary course) that all students have to take regardless of degree programme. It does not constitute a part of our degrees yet it required in order to graduate. This has not been put on any application form as I believed it was irrelevant. Should I contact the law firms that I am waiting on/ and as an offer holder should I let the firm know as they have not asked for my transcript yet. Any help would be appreciated.

When you provide the transcript I would advise/clarify the module.

Paige M

Future Trainee
Feb 13, 2019
It’s important to always follow instructions on the application system or website closely.

People from firms (not just grad rec) provide incorrect advice all the time unfortunately. When it comes to things like spoken conversations that have no record it very much becomes of one person’s word against another. It typically means that process/policy will win out rather than what you have been told by an individual.

It is very rare for firms to not want every university module, particularly if you have studied in the U.K. (there can be exceptions with with international grading systems that have 15+ modules a year). That includes first year grades and modules that are not formally assessed, or that don’t contribute to your final grade.

They will also want to see them in your scoring system rather than converted percentages. I have also seen offers revoked where people have converted their grades into percentages. Prime example of this is courses where a module is capped by 80 or 90%, and so someone changes a mark of 60 to 75%, when really it is just 60%.

Make sure employment dates are accurate too. I have known offers to be retracted where dates have been typed incorrectly and so the work experience looks like it took place over a much longer period of time.

Because firms will often ask you to tick a box/statement saying everything you have provided is true/accurate, you are at major risk even if it is an innocent mistake.

Hi Jessica

Would you say that it is necessary to add the LPC skill assessment results to an application (competent/non-competent results)? Even though there is no particular section for this on the application and it doesn’t count towards the final grade? I eventually added it as ‘supplementary information’ (before interview) but just wanted to see if this is always necessary.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

Would you say that it is necessary to add the LPC skill assessment results to an application (competent/non-competent results)? Even though there is no particular section for this on the application and it doesn’t count towards the final grade? I eventually added it as ‘supplementary information’ (before interview) but just wanted to see if this is always necessary.

Yes - I would include it. Adding it as you have done is perfectly reasonable.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Oh my goodness this has really worried me. I am now looking at my transcript and we did an introduction course that was pass/fail (which I did pass). I realise that I haven't included this in my applications - should I be emailing firms to tell them this?

Reactions: EFox

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh my goodness this has really worried me. I am now looking at my transcript and we did an introduction course that was pass/fail (which I did pass). I realise that I haven't included this in my applications - should I be emailing firms to tell them this?

Missing one module that is a pass or fail is very different to missing four modules off that have specific grades to them.

As and when you need to provide your transcript, then provide the clarification then.

Reactions: bethbristol

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Just been disqualified from a US firm's application process post interview, whilst they were in the process of making me an offer. The grounds for disqualification were that my module grades I entered on the application form did not match my transcript. I didn’t falsify any information but didn’t include some optional modules. I did this as I received explicit advice on their open day from Grad Rec that ‘it is not necessary to put down modules that don’t count to your final classification’. I'd also note that I'm on track for a first class grade at university - so my grades wouldn't have held me back.

It’s a horrible feeling, to have something you’ve worked so hard for taken away. The grades I didn’t include weren’t bad (they were all 2.1+), I was just told it was not necessary to put them down. It's even worse being accused consistently by their grad rec of dishonesty and 'stealing someones place at interview', when I explained that I followed the advice they gave me.

Just some advice to people here, to ensure you avoid being in my situation:
  1. Be aware of the policy of law firms to include all grades - I’m sure most people know this, but I was uncertain about this at the time I made my application, which is why I asked for clarification at the open day.
  2. Be very wary of what grad rec say. Most of them are extremely friendly and informative. But it just takes one piece of bad advice to land you in my position.
Best of luck to everyone applying!
So sorry to read this. Cannot imagine how you are feeling. Was this a TC offer ?
I hope you are ok and I’ve no doubt you will succeed.

• 🤝
Reactions: Zoo

lawstudent2111

Feb 22, 2020
When you provide the transcript I would advise/clarify the module.

Hi Jessica!

I have a phone interview with a firm this week for a first-year scheme, and after seeing this thread checked my own application and it turns out I've made the mistake of putting an A as a practical cooking exam result instead of a B which is the equivalent of an English GSCE- should I mention this at any point during the interview and how likely is it to affect my application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

I have a phone interview with a firm this week for a first-year scheme, and after seeing this thread checked my own application and it turns out I've made the mistake of putting an A as a practical cooking exam result instead of a B which is the equivalent of an English GSCE- should I mention this at any point during the interview and how likely is it to affect my application?

Are you just talking about an exam or a qualification?

given it is one subject and also in something completely irrelevant (eg cooking) I don’t think it is worthwhile raising...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Guys - I am being bombarded with people who have gone into panic mode...

For everyone’s benefit:

1) self selecting which GCSE/A-level grades you include isn’t a good idea either. Missing off a qualifications will just make the person reading your form assume that you didn’t do as many qualifications or that you failed some and so haven’t included them. Eg if I didn’t include my D grade in History A-level, the person reading my form will probably assume I failed my third A-level subject.

2) the bigger the impact of the “error” the bigger the risk here. Mucking up one GCSE grade from 6 years ago is going to be looked upon very differently than multiple modules in your degree that happened 1-2 years ago. The more recent the experience or the higher the qualification, the more it could be an issue. Same goes for work experience, saying something ended a week later than it did (eg in early July rather than late June) when the experience was many months long, is going to be much less of a concern than if you mistakenly put 2019 as an end date instead of the correct 2018.

There are two issues that comes with these type of errors. One is around integrity (have you purposely tried to hide information) the other is about genuine mistakes. Neither are great though - the former is probably more serious, the latter still puts into question vital skills relevant to being a lawyer (eg would you make mistakes in vital contracts).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also if it’s obvious information is missing from your application, I will assume the worst and won’t waste time contacting you for clarification.

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Thanks for your kindness.

Honestly I did everything I could. I offered the help of my university and tutor who were supportive of me. I spoke to them at depth about the advice and whom I received it from at the open day. I even tried to speak about the nature of the modules in that they weren’t actually part of my degree itself.

None of it was met with any welcome. I understand have their own official policy of ensuring consistency - but it does seem like they amplified it and added some unnecessary accusations. I’ve also been barred from ever applying again to that firm!

This is really brutal on you. I hope you recognise that you did amazingly well to receive the offer and that you stay positive :) as mentioned before, everything happens for a reason!

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

mab299

Mar 3, 2020
Please note that my intention for writing this isn't to show off or anything, I am just genuinely looking for some advice on an issue that has been troubling me a bit.

I have recieved VS offers from four different firms, on basically the same dates. This means I have no option but to decline two.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Are you able to defer entry to next year? Does turning down a firm mean I won't be able to apply again?

If the specific firm matters, they're Slaughter and May, Taylor Wessing, Norton Rose Fulbright and DLA Piper.

• 🏆
Reactions: HD, FC and EFox

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Please note that my intention for writing this isn't to show off or anything, I am just genuinely looking for some advice on an issue that has been troubling me a bit.

I have recieved VS offers from four different firms, on basically the same dates. This means I have no option but to decline two.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Are you able to defer entry to next year? Does turning down a firm mean I won't be able to apply again?

If the specific firm matters, they're Slaughter and May, Taylor Wessing, Norton Rose Fulbright and DLA Piper.

I highly doubt you can defer. In any event, even if you could, let's be positive and think about converting one to a TC so you wouldn't need any future VS's :)

I would ask the firm that you would have turned down to consider you for a direct TC. There is little to lose. If they say no, you can thank them for their VS offer and politely decline. People turn down VS's. It's not uncommon.

In terms of who to pick? Well, I'd pick who you are interested in the most first. If that firm has a poor conversion rate, i'd make my second pick a firm that has a higher chance. This is if you do not wish to apply next year.

Reactions: HD and Zoo

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Hi Jessica, in terms of employment- would firms expect proof for every single employment including unpaid work experiences undertaken abroad?
It’s important to always follow instructions on the application system or website closely.

People from firms (not just grad rec) provide incorrect advice all the time unfortunately. When it comes to things like spoken conversations that have no record it very much becomes of one person’s word against another. It typically means that process/policy will win out rather than what you have been told by an individual.

It is very rare for firms to not want every university module, particularly if you have studied in the U.K. (there can be exceptions with with international grading systems that have 15+ modules a year). That includes first year grades and modules that are not formally assessed, or that don’t contribute to your final grade.

They will also want to see them in your scoring system rather than converted percentages. I have also seen offers revoked where people have converted their grades into percentages. Prime example of this is courses where a module is capped by 80 or 90%, and so someone changes a mark of 60 to 75%, when really it is just 60%.

Make sure employment dates are accurate too. I have known offers to be retracted where dates have been typed incorrectly and so the work experience looks like it took place over a much longer period of time.

Because firms will often ask you to tick a box/statement saying everything you have provided is true/accurate, you are at major risk even if it is an innocent mistake.

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020

I was in a similar situation but with 3 VS instead of 4. I just emailed the firm I didn’t want to accept and said I had accepted other vac schemes that clashed with the dates of their vac scheme but that I’m still interested in the firm and asked if I could be considered for a TC instead. They said it’s not normal practice but that they would consider me for a TC assessment centre nearer the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.