General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey, I’m in the same boat and so I totally sympathise. If it’s any consolation it was obviously a generic email, and the part about applying earlier was phrased a bit weirdly and almost implied it was our fault (not the corona virus lol) that meant we were in this situation? Please be so proud of yourself for getting this far, and remember it’s OK to be incredibly frustrated at the situation!!! It really is just rubbish luck and you’re clearly a great candidate! Their intake is small so that’s probably a factor, and in my case, they actually invited me to the feb AC lol but messed it up so had to move me to the March on so I totallyyyyy understand the feeling of ‘really?! Is this happening!!!?’ I also feel like the part about applying earlier made it seem quite a negative email, and you obviously did apply early so don’t let that bother you and honestly just take it forwards and use the confidence that you were good enough to get to AC in future apps!!

Hi all, I just got an email from a firm saying that the assessment centre that was postponed from March which I was due to attend has now been cancelled. All places for training contracts have been given to people who completed assessment centres before Coronavirus hit. Therefore, my application has been rejected.

I was told I should reconsider applying earlier as applications are assessed on a rolling basis. I applied 9 weeks after the applications opened - it was my first application of this cycle and I was taking my time but perhaps was naive in thinking I'd applied early enough.

Do you think there would be merit in asking the firm whether they would consider putting candidates in the same boat straight through to the assessment centre for the next cohort in 2023? I'm just so disappointed, and feel like I have been rather unfortunate, especially given this was my first choice firm. :( Also, they would just have to read pretty much the same application again, and otherwise they wasted time telephone interviewing us all, but also I don't want to sound like I'm complaining as I definitely want to re-apply next year.

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello guys (Alice G, Jessica, Jaysen) pretty please do we have any link/article dedicated to video interviews (please could you direct me to them/post them) I would like to prepare for an upcoming video interview with Baker Mckenzie. Thank you

And if anyone has ideas/tips/pointers about the Baker Mckenzie video interview please could you share them. Thanks

Video interview 3

Video interview 2

Video interview 1

Reactions: Alice G

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
I must apologise on this as I started writing a document on tips for VIs and I have just been a little bit busy this past week so have not had time to develop it much further. I will try and get this turned around as soon as possible. When is the interview?

Also, just a quick tip for everyone - if you '@' and then type a person's username you can be sure they will get a notification and can respond to your question etc :) just a friendly tip to note so that nothing gets missed! :)

Thanks @ Alice G (is this what you meant in your last paragraph). I also look forward to your writing - you are doing an incredible job

Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Do you think it's a good idea to discuss,in an interview, Coronavirus as a "commercial story" which "affects law firms"? This topic is ubiquitous nowadays and I feel like it's hard to avoid it, but it's not a commercial story per se.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you think it's a good idea to discuss,in an interview, Coronavirus as a "commercial story" which "affects law firms"? This topic is ubiquitous nowadays and I feel like it's hard to avoid it, but it's not a commercial story per se.

It is too big a story on its own. Bit like Brexit or the 2008 financial crisis.

Fine to pick a certain story within it though - could be a certain market/industry, a certain product/service, a certain change in law, a certain country etc.

Last edited:

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    Hi guys,

I know everything is a little up in the air with Covid but has anyone heard back from BLM for direct TC? not sure if they assess apps on a rolling basis or once the deadline has passed.

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    Hey, I’m in the same boat and so I totally sympathise. If it’s any consolation it was obviously a generic email, and the part about applying earlier was phrased a bit weirdly and almost implied it was our fault (not the corona virus lol) that meant we were in this situation? Please be so proud of yourself for getting this far, and remember it’s OK to be incredibly frustrated at the situation!!! It really is just rubbish luck and you’re clearly a great candidate! Their intake is small so that’s probably a factor, and in my case, they actually invited me to the feb AC lol but messed it up so had to move me to the March on so I totallyyyyy understand the feeling of ‘really?! Is this happening!!!?’ I also feel like the part about applying earlier made it seem quite a negative email, and you obviously did apply early so don’t let that bother you and honestly just take it forwards and use the confidence that you were good enough to get to AC in future apps!!

Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this! Thank you for your kind response - and wow, you have even more right to be frustrated. Everything happens for a reason too, so it just wasn't meant to be for us! I felt the email was rather negative in tone as well, which made the situation feel even worse at the time. The solidarity on this site is phenomenal. Our time will come, and when it does it will feel even better!!

One last reflection from me (then I promise I'll be quiet!!!). Both of my parents are frontline NHS workers and I rang them yesterday. It put all of this into perspective - words cannot describe what they are going through. They didn't sign up for this,and it will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Our experiences trying to get a training contract are challenging at times, yes, but when we succeed (we will all succeed!), our application trials and tribulations will fade into distant memory. Shout out to the fabulous NHS! We will get through this. :):):):)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this! Thank you for your kind response - and wow, you have even more right to be frustrated. Everything happens for a reason too, so it just wasn't meant to be for us! I felt the email was rather negative in tone as well, which made the situation feel even worse at the time. The solidarity on this site is phenomenal. Our time will come, and when it does it will feel even better!!

One last reflection from me (then I promise I'll be quiet!!!). Both of my parents are frontline NHS workers and I rang them yesterday. It put all of this into perspective - words cannot describe what they are going through. They didn't sign up for this,and it will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Our experiences trying to get a training contract are challenging at times, yes, but when we succeed (we will all succeed!), our application trials and tribulations will fade into distant memory. Shout out to the fabulous NHS! We will get through this. :):):):)

I am so admiring of your positivity and perspective on all of this and I hope my story goes some way to reinforce to you all that things honestly do happen for a reason and just as they are meant to :) I will be clapping and cheering for all of those working for the NHS tonight and for those contracted to work for the NHS too.

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Any general advice for the Watson Glaser? Is it the same format for all firms? How long does it take typically?

I'm doing one for Baker M. and have done some practice tests, not finding them too bad. Have just done the Clifford Chance one and found that although it gives 50 minutes, I was done in less than 15 minutes...was it just a lot easier than the real deal or do they take account of the time taken in your score?

Thanks.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Any general advice for the Watson Glaser? Is it the same format for all firms? How long does it take typically?

I'm doing one for Baker M. and have done some practice tests, not finding them too bad. Have just done the Clifford Chance one and found that although it gives 50 minutes, I was done in less than 15 minutes...was it just a lot easier than the real deal or do they take account of the time taken in your score?

Thanks.
    the standard time given I believe is half an hour :) The WG tends to be quite consistent across firms but I think that most emails inviting you to take the test will detail the 'need to knows' :)

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    the standard time given I believe is half an hour :) The WG tends to be quite consistent across firms but I think that most emails inviting you to take the test will detail the 'need to knows' :)

Thanks - the email is surprisingly vague, as is their website. The email from the test provider even spells the firm's name wrong ha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.