Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Valid points on both sides I think.

@Changes, I can see why you think it's unfair. At the same time, so many people do share these questions privately, so I feel there's merit in at least having them accessible to everyone in a public place (this is why we have an interview experiences section). As has been discussed, these questions are often one of many from a bank, so candidates can often get a completely different set of questions.

Sometimes, I'll redact parts of interview experiences if it's too specific, but aside from that, I'm also generally very hesitant to censure genuine information on here.

A set of community guidelines is a great idea and long overdue. Will have a further think on this!

hopelesscaseofwhat

May 12, 2019
    Re: Baker McKenzie VI

My deadline's on the 29th at 00:00 o'clock, does that mean I have the whole day of the 29th or only the 28th?

Also the invitation email specifies that they'll be reviewing the interviews on a rolling basis so will I be disadvantaged if I complete my VI closer to the deadline?

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

My deadline's on the 29th at 00:00 o'clock, does that mean I have the whole day of the 29th or only the 28th?

Also the invitation email specifies that they'll be reviewing the interviews on a rolling basis so will I be disadvantaged if I complete my VI closer to the deadline?
    The 28th i think, as 00:00 would be a new day

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020

Pretty sure it’s the 29th but I’d do it the day before to be sure.

Yes, potentially. I’ve missed out on a place on an AC by doing a VI too late.

As for principles in terms of sharing info.

I think the obvious line is sharing specific questions for recent interviews/VIs. Though firms may accept this happens and hope to mitigate against it to some extent, they would obviously prefer if it didn’t happen, hence some firms include in the terms that you can’t share any information. It seems a logical line to draw on that basis. The other issue is some people share false information, this helps limit that too.

Personally think it is fine to share information on format (e.g. number of questions, timings), general themes (e.g. there’s a commercial question and the rest are competency based or there are a mixture of strengths and competency based questions) and more general advice (e.g. it as quite tricky, couldn’t really prepare for the questions as it was more of a test of thinking on your feet, read the VI guides on TCLA).

Last edited:

hopelesscaseofwhat

May 12, 2019
    The 28th i think, as 00:00 would be a new day

I think the obvious line is sharing specific questions for recent interviews/VIs. Though firms may accept this happens and hope to mitigate against it to some extent, they would obviously prefer if it didn’t happen, hence some firms include in the terms that you can’t share any information. It seems a logical line to draw on that basis. The other issue is some people share false information, this helps limit that too.

Personally think it is fine to share information on format (e.g. number of questions, timings), general themes (e.g. there’s a commercial question and the rest are competency based or there are a mixture of strengths and competency based questions) and more general advice (e.g. it as quite tricky, couldn’t really prepare for the questions as it was more of a test of thinking on your feet, read the VI guides on TCLA).

Okay, thanks guys :) i'll do it before then just to be sure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

where do we draw the line though out of the following examples

1) they will assess your team work

2) they will ask a question about a time you have worked in a team

3) they will ask you a question about a time you worked in an ineffective team

4) They will ask you a question about a time you worked in a team that wasn't working very well and what you did to make it better

5) You’ll be asked the question:

Describe a time you worked in an ineffective team, and what actions or ideas you implemented to make the team more effective

Community rules are only going to be able to cover the forums, unfortunately there would be no way private messages could be monitored, so whatever is agreed, information will be shared just in a different way.

I’d personally prefer it to be shared with more people rather than less, so it’s going to be difficult to get community rules that will meet everyone’s expectations.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They mean 23.59 on the 29th

especially if it is on Launchpad

• ℹ️
    Reactions: hopelesscaseofwhat

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    where do we draw the line though out of the following examples

1) they will assess your team work

2) they will ask a question about a time you have worked in a team

3) they will ask you a question about a time you worked in an ineffective team

4) They will ask you a question about a time you worked in a team that wasn't working very well and what you did to make it better

5) You’ll be asked the question:

Describe a time you worked in an ineffective team, and what actions or ideas you implemented to make the team more effective

Community rules are only going to be able to cover the forums, unfortunately there would be no way private messages could be monitored, so whatever is agreed, information will be shared just in a different way.

I’d personally prefer it to be shared with more people rather than less, so it’s going to be difficult to get community rules that will meet everyone’s expectations.

Personally I’d say make it more general than the above but sure others will disagree. To compromise I’d say “there was a question on teamwork” is ok, though that sort of thing is easy enough to prepare for and discern anyway, it’s a pretty basic competency. I don’t think it’s that complicated though, the line seems fairly obvious to me.

From the point of view of those who run the forum, obviously the forum is going to be more attractive and draw more of an audience if sharing of more detailed information is allowed. I also take on board the point about information being shared anyway in other forums (e.g. on campus), which will potentially disadvantage groups. In that respect, sharing in the open is potentially fairer. In fairness it doesn’t happen often because most people have a bit more sense (perhaps others might argue that its self-interest rather than sense).

On the whole, I’m sure the majority of the forum would prefer more specific sharing being allowed as it’s likely to benefit them. It’ll only be a minority who are aggrieved (those who have done the work themselves already). There are plenty of great resources on here without that sharing though.

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive about it, particularly in this case, since I was one of those disadvantaged by not knowing any of the questions or lines of questioning in advance. I have been thrown off by false information in the past, so appreciate it is a double edged sword.

I also appreciate that you know far more about how it is viewed from a recruitment perspective and about the mitigation policies firms have in place.

I’ve given my 2p anyway.

Last edited:

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I graduated last year and without any previous paralegal experience secured permanent paralegal offers at White & Case, K&E and Macfarlanes. It's not that difficult to get a para role if you use a recruitment agency. I'm not sure what the salaries are this year, but last year W&C was offering 36k, Kirkland was 40k and Macfarlanes was around 34/35k. All these salaries are excluding overtime. If you work overtime, they pay you x1.5 for each hour after 5.30pm (this is for K&E where I ended up going).
    sorry if this has already been asked - what recruitment agency did you use? I'm also looking for some paralegal work to start once my exams are over ;)

Reactions: Lauren2

csyn

Star Member
    Feb 3, 2020
    Rejected from Stephenson Harwood summer VS but they asked if I would like to be considered for a TC?

Asking for anyone's experience if this is common? Not quite sure whether to treat the news as sad rejection news!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.