Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I might be better suited to deliver this unless Alice has experience with online assessments.

I will speak to @Jaysen about this and will come back to you.
Absolutely- you probably are better placed than myself :) @Charles i will be sure to add anything from the candidate perspective I can think of should there be anything I can further contribute :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Sorry if my tone seems condescending at times - I am a little too blunt/direct but have found it usually the easiest way to deal with responding in forums as it becomes far less likely my posts will be interpreted in different ways.
I think I speak for a few of us when I say your transparency and candid approach is really valued. Far better that you tell us the realities and how things stand so we can prepare and be better informed :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone, just want to flag that we've been investing a lot of time to our commercial newsletter recently to make it even better. The aim is to make sure we send you the most relevant commercial news each week and help you understand the impact of different stories on businesses and law firms. The new feature also include a section on how law firms are dealing with the current crisis.

You can sign up here: https://thecorporatelawacademy.us17...ibe?u=46661f8fd74854dd3e16a20f9&id=a0132087cd.

Shout-out to the team who runs this newsletter: @Lauren2, @Rachel S, @Alice Manners, @Curtley Bale, @Jiraiya, @Sairah and @Ayah!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone, just want to flag that we've been investing a lot of time to our commercial newsletter recently to make it even better. The aim is to make sure we send you the most relevant commercial news each week and help you understand the impact of different stories on businesses and law firms. The new feature also include a section on how law firms are dealing with the current crisis.

You can sign up here: https://thecorporatelawacademy.us17...ibe?u=46661f8fd74854dd3e16a20f9&id=a0132087cd.

Shout-out to the team who runs this newsletter: @Lauren2, @Rachel S, @Alice Manners, @Curtley Bale, @Jiraiya, @Sairah and @Ayah!

Please can I join the list? Would be good to see what is going out?

Reactions: Dawn and Alice G

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Hi All, how would you answer this question "have you had the experience in working in a competitive work environment, and how did you handle this?"
    That’s personal to you, so think of a situation where you worked competitively whether in a sports setting or any type of competition (eg aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition) and how you handled it (I.e. do you work well under pressure etc)

Reactions: Alice G

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    That’s personal to you, so think of a situation where you worked competitively whether in a sports setting or any type of competition (eg aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition) and how you handled it (I.e. do you work well under pressure etc)

Ahh I was asking because I was asked this and answered by explaining when worked in a high stress busy work environment where I need to meet certain strict deadlines, and was worried I answered it completely wrong. I’m crossing my fingers one bad question won’t hold me back haha what’s everyone else’s experience with video interviews have you ever messed up on one question but still progressed to the next stage?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All, how would you answer this question "have you had the experience in working in a competitive work environment, and how did you handle this?"

Two questions in one. Make sure you cover the following:

- why it was competitive
    - what your role/achievement was
    - what was the good and bad parts of it
    - why your enjoyed it (assuming X firm is a competitive work environment)
    - what you learnt from the experience or how it has made you decide a career in a competitive legal firm is for you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ahh I was asking because I was asked this and answered by explaining when worked in a high stress busy work environment where I need to meet certain strict deadlines, and was worried I answered it completely wrong. I’m crossing my fingers one bad question won’t hold me back haha what’s everyone else’s experience with video interviews have you ever messed up on one question but still progressed to the next stage?

possibly a little "wrong" - that isn't necessary competitive, just pressurised. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, its not like your answer is actually wrong as such, its a good example just a little out of the sphere of what they were asking.

I have put through loads of candidates who have done this though....

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    possibly a little "wrong" - that isn't necessary competitive, just pressurised. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, its not like your answer is actually wrong as such, its a good example just a little out of the sphere of what they were asking.

thank you! I think my other answers were pretty strong but unfortunately this was the first one, so I’m just hoping it doesn’t already make them make a decision.

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020

i had a slightly different version of this question. Didn’t say working.

Easy to overthink and second guess yourself after the fact. What will be, will be.

I went for an out of work example but wondering if I misheard the question now ha.

Either way I have come up with answers in the heat of the moment that didn’t really answer the question in hindsight and still made it through.

Best of luck.

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020

Out of interest, when assessing VIs did you look at them in the context of the wider application or was the decision based purely on the VI?

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020

Easy to overthink and second guess yourself after the fact. What will be, will be.

I went for an out of work example but wondering if I misheard the question now ha.

Either way I have come up with answers in the heat of the moment that didn’t really answer the question in hindsight and still made it through.

Best of luck.

hey I actually just now realized the question was phrased as “tell me about time when you were in a competitive situation” so you probably didn’t mishear it tbh! And yes I’m hoping because I honestly went so off from the question hopefully they consider high stress environments under the same umbrella as competitive

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes it was prerecorded! And good to know I just know the tiniest mistake can ruin your chances. I guess I have to cross my fingers it’s not this one question that holds me back

Don’t believe that for a second. Millions of tiny mistakes happen all the time with successful candidates

Reactions: Flk10

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Best of luck.

“Working” doesn’t actually have to be a work environment. It just means inputting into a competitive environment with other people - that could be work, academia, extra currciulars, interests - anything really.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Out of interest, when assessing VIs did you look at them in the context of the wider application or was the decision based purely on the VI?

depends on the individual firm’s approach.

Generally I prefer assessing alongside an application form as it tells you more about the individual, and typically shows up where there is a lack of variety/a candidate seems more one dimensional.

But a lot of employers get concerned about the negative impact it can have. You are basically assessing the application twice - Also firms with CV blind processes wouldn’t support having the application alongside later assessments.

Reactions: Changes
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.