Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you are not hearing back, I wouldn’t worry too much. A lot of graduate recruiters have been furloughed and so teams are not running with the same number of people. A lot of grad rec people who are working are focusing on current trainees and working on necessity work (like qualification processes, law school stuff, SRA).

Id try to be patient until at least lockdown is over

• 🏆
Reactions: HD, Shaz, D95 and 5 others

Sammy

Standard Member
Jan 9, 2019
Anyone heard from Mayer Brown or BCLP re TC?

Got this from BCLP grad rec team:

The deadline for Direct TC applications is not until May 31st. Although we do recruit on a rolling basis, we will not start reviewing applications until May, so applicants can expect to hear back by the end of May or June.

The current situation is very uncertain and we are constantly thinking of ways to adapt, at the moment, we do not foresee any changes to our recruitment for Direct TC but if this changes then we will be sure to let people know.

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020

The deadline for Direct TC applications is not until May 31st. Although we do recruit on a rolling basis, we will not start reviewing applications until May, so applicants can expect to hear back by the end of May or June.

The current situation is very uncertain and we are constantly thinking of ways to adapt, at the moment, we do not foresee any changes to our recruitment for Direct TC but if this changes then we will be sure to let people know.

I did not get that email but I applied in September lol...

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019

Did you email them or hear that from them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What's the best way to prepare for case studies, group exercises etc?

this is too broad a question to answer in any useful sense here. Group exercise hints would be very different to case studies, and then with case studies it depends on the nature of the case study.

have you got any more specific detail?

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
this is too broad a question to answer in any useful sense here. Group exercise hints would be very different to case studies, and then with case studies it depends on the nature of the case study.

have you got any more specific detail?
Oh no I meant where can you find the resources for this to prepare? Most case studies are typically M&A case studies. The ones I've found online simply give you practice case studies with answers, but I cant seem to find material that can provide steps on how to approach these case studies; i.e. what you should know, step by step tutorials

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Oh no I meant where can you find the resources for this to prepare? Most case studies are typically M&A case studies. The ones I've found online simply give you practice case studies with answers, but I cant seem to find material that can provide steps on how to approach these case studies; i.e. what you should know, step by step tutorials

I suggest you think about the key themes of an M&A case study: due diligence; warranties and indemnities; share v asset purchase; debt v equity financing. Read up on the fundamentals first (basic books on corporate finance will be useful), then drill down into the details. As you work through the case study, always have in mind 1) the commercial considerations of the client, and 2) the role of the law firm.

Reactions: W and thecorporatelawyer

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
I suggest you think about the key themes of an M&A case study: due diligence; warranties and indemnities; share v asset purchase; debt v equity financing. Read up on the fundamentals first (basic books on corporate finance will be useful), then drill down into the details. As you work through the case study, always have in mind 1) the commercial considerations of the client, and 2) the role of the law firm.
Thank you so much! Any specific book suggestions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

case studies are not always M&A case studies!

I would personally not prepare for a case study exercise until I knew I had one and then I would do specific research/preparation for that task.

What I would do is read about the topic more though. I’d follow M&A deals, I would read resources (plenty on here) that explain how M&A transactions work.

Technically you shouldn’t be able to “prepare” for an individual case study until you are given preparation time on the assessment centre. Because they are all so different, you won’t find “step by step tutorials”, just guidance of things to think about - but that will be learnt by reading.

Trying to learn things parrot style is not great for preparing for a career in law, and also for a recruitment process. You’ve got to be able to demonstrate your thinking (not someone else’s) and typically with case studies it is actually about thinking on your feet.

What your preparation now should consist of is exercising your brain in a way that makes it used to digesting commercial information, not trying to preempt answer (which might actually change by the time you are assessed anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.