Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am not really concerned about the timeframes people have to complete exams... all things considered that is a minor issue really.

What I am concerned about is where students are not being assessed on modules at all - there is something that is particularly worrying about this. This wouldn't happen in the world of work and isn't happening with the professional qualifications.

I understand no detriment policies are there for a reason - and generally I am open to them, depending on how generous they are. To me a no detriment policy should be sufficient. I can’t understand how unis are justifying no detriment policies, plus allowing fewer credits to be taken and any weighting to be on only a small number of modules.

NickMcK

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Does anyone know the current key commercial issues that training contract applicants need to be confident in for final interviews/assessment centres/case studies at City Law Firms like Bakers? Thanks.

I would recommend doing some research on the websites of firms you are applying to. Have a look at their sections labelled News, Insights, Updates etc. Dig deeper than the Covid-19 information that will be splashed across the front at the moment. Follow firms on LinkedIn and Twitter and they will often post when they release a new report or update on a topic relevant to them. Also follow their competitors/similar firms to get a different perspective on the same issue.

Large firms like Bakers also publish a lot of longer reports discussing commercial issues relevant to their clients. Invest the time to read these and connect them to your wider research of commercial topics from sources such as newspapers, podcasts etc.

TCLA also has a very good commercial awareness newsletter and forum so have a look around here!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker I just realised I forgot to ask this, but you said not all case studies are M&A. But besides general business, and M&A case studies what other kinds could there be? Thanks!

M&A is just a story line to a case study. A case study story line could be anything commercial, that either relates to a firm’s business (eg Finance Employment, Tax, IP, Real Estate, Competition etc) or a clients business (eg specific industry information, changes to law/policy that impact clients).

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I need to be frank about this.

That course is just the GDL with an additional 6,000 research project.

It won’t be difficult/competitive to get on this course.
That’s kind of a relief because the only reason I’m doing this is because you can’t get postgrad funding for the GDL and I don’t have 10 grand. I didn’t want it to be too more difficult. I got accepted btw.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I know it depends on the university- but does anyone know in general how unis are assessing grades because of coronavirus? My final year counts as 70% and I got pretty average in my first two years because I went study abroad and I was pretty ill for my first year and fainted in my exam hall so I didn’t do too good! Anyway i didn’t really let it get to me because I knew I was going to work so much harder for my last year and I feel like I really have done. And I kind of feel like my hard work was for nothing because if employers are going to look at good grades as being inflated anyway it looks as though my grades were only put up for my 3rd year because of coronavirus. Idk; maybe I’m overthinking. I also really want my uni to ensure the 3rd year still counts as 70% because otherwise my overall mark will go down :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That’s kind of a relief because the only reason I’m doing this is because you can’t get postgrad funding for the GDL and I don’t have 10 grand. I didn’t want it to be too more difficult. I got accepted btw.

It’s the main reason why people do it - it’s really just a marketing ploy by the providers to make the course more attractive either by branding it an LLM or by it being eligible for student finance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know it depends on the university- but does anyone know in general how unis are assessing grades because of coronavirus? My final year counts as 70% and I got pretty average in my first two years because I went study abroad and I was pretty ill for my first year and fainted in my exam hall so I didn’t do too good! Anyway i didn’t really let it get to me because I knew I was going to work so much harder for my last year and I feel like I really have done. And I kind of feel like my hard work was for nothing because if employers are going to look at good grades as being inflated anyway it looks as though my grades were only put up for my 3rd year because of coronavirus. Idk; maybe I’m overthinking. I also really want my uni to ensure the 3rd year still counts as 70% because otherwise my overall mark will go down :(

whole long conversation about this earlier in this thread

In short - do all your modules if it’s optional. Try your best to get your grades up. Don’t rely on no detriment policies to bring your average up and avoid not submitting for assessments if the uni are giving you that choice

Good grades are not going to be looked at poorly.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Just wondering if anyone on the Charles Russell Speechlys Summer Scheme has had any communications from them? I had a place on the spring scheme which was postponed, but nothing since, I know that they'll let us all know at the same time when they know what they're doing, but wondered if the summer schemers had been told theirs has been postponed etc. or anything?

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Just wondering if anyone on the Charles Russell Speechlys Summer Scheme has had any communications from them? I had a place on the spring scheme which was postponed, but nothing since, I know that they'll let us all know at the same time when they know what they're doing, but wondered if the summer schemers had been told theirs has been postponed etc. or anything?
It seems a lot of postponed schemes have just gone AWOL, hopefully everyone will hear from their respective firms soon

Popal

Distinguished Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hey guys,

Has anyone heard back from Dentons after sending their app?
Only an invitation to WG test. Other than that, not a peep - but they did send a message upon submission: Just to let you know that we recruit for our Training Contracts over the summer, so please do not expect any immediate updates on your application. We will update you as soon as there is a new status for your application, and if you have any other queries you can email us at [email protected].

So that might explain why we haven't heard. Well, that and Coronavirus!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Only an invitation to WG test. Other than that, not a peep - but they did send a message upon submission: Just to let you know that we recruit for our Training Contracts over the summer, so please do not expect any immediate updates on your application. We will update you as soon as there is a new status for your application, and if you have any other queries you can email us at [email protected].

Thank you so much

Reactions: Popal

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018

I’ve done the telephone interview and they emailed after to say everything currently on hold.
Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.