General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
I know this might be a dumb question, but is it rare for firms to ever let you begin a contract earlier than planned? I’m just curious if it’s a common thing to be able to negotiate your start date.

It definitely happens, especially for firms with relatively large intakes (e.g. MC, large national firms). I think you can always have the conversation. Even if you can't start earlier, it's not uncommon to paralegal at the firm prior to your TC start date.

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know this might be a dumb question, but is it rare for firms to ever let you begin a contract earlier than planned? I’m just curious if it’s a common thing to be able to negotiate your start date.

It can happen if an opportunity arises - usually firms operate waiting lists for earlier intakes

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
Hi everyone, I was wondering what the general view is. It is 6 weeks post virtual AC and I am yet to hear the outcome for a vac scheme at a particular firm. Should I send an email asking if there is any update on my outcome? or should I wait given the delays due to the COVID-19 situation? thanks!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hi everyone, I was wondering what the general view is. It is 6 weeks post virtual AC and I am yet to hear the outcome for a vac scheme at a particular firm. Should I send an email asking if there is any update on my outcome? or should I wait given the delays due to the COVID-19 situation? thanks!

6 weeks is an extremely long period to wait after an AC. I think it would be okay to email them.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Dechert vs offer!! Honestly couldn’t have done it without the advice from everyone on this forum! In case anyone was wondering about response times, it took about 6-7 weeks before I heard back after my AC
Ahh so lovely to hear good news at this time! Seriously well done and huge congratulations!

Reactions: Ifmhouse4

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Dechert vs offer!! Honestly couldn’t have done it without the advice from everyone on this forum! In case anyone was wondering about response times, it took about 6-7 weeks before I heard back after my AC
    Amazing, well done. Also goes to show that no news doesn't necessarily mean bad news!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Rainfall and Ifmhouse4

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

As it has been six weeks, I would go back to ask whether you have been successful or not. They might not know whether the scheme is going ahead or not, but they should be able to tell you if you were selected or not.

It might be that their team is furloughed and so there isn’t someone to come back to you though!

Reactions: Miki3999 and Ifmhouse4

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    As it has been six weeks, I would go back to ask whether you have been successful or not. They might not know whether the scheme is going ahead or not, but they should be able to tell you if you were selected or not.

It might be that their team is furloughed and so there isn’t someone to come back to you though!

thank you for your advice! I have emailed so hopefully I will find out soon. It’s tricky as I believe one of the grad rec team members is on maternity leave so of course the remaining members will be very busy! Also I know that the Manchester office has heard back but London & Birmingham have not yet! ( that I know of) hopefully I will find out soon :)

Reactions: Rainfall

Rainfall

Standard Member
    Feb 4, 2020
    thank you for your advice! I have emailed so hopefully I will find out soon. It’s tricky as I believe one of the grad rec team members is on maternity leave so of course the remaining members will be very busy! Also I know that the Manchester office has heard back but London & Birmingham have not yet! ( that I know of) hopefully I will find out soon :)
    Is this Trowers? If you don't mind, please let me know what they say.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Rejection post-AC for King & Spalding... I am quite gutted, but 1) I still have a VS lined up for the spring with another law firm, 2) I think it was actually a great experience, 3) there were so many great candidates that day that if I had to make a shortlist, I would find it very tricky too!

Hi Dominika,

Sent you a PM re King & Spalding!

Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.