General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Hey guys, just wondering the general sentiment: is it worth applying for direct TCs without having done a VS or some kind of experience with the firm?
Thanks!

It's definitely helpful to have met the firm.

But if you can persuasively articulate 'why that firm' and demonstrate you're a good candidate, I doubt you'd be rejected because you had had no direct experience of the firm.

• ℹ️
Reactions: csyn

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi, I need a bit of advice. I am re-applying to SM, as, due to certain circumstances, the HR allowed to apply again despite having had an unsuccessful interview. Do you think submitting the same (successful) cover letter would be a good idea? I would only delete one of the paragraphs and write a new one explaining my situation. The reasons for "why SM" have not really changed, and therefore I'm hesitating.

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Has anyone heard from DAC Beachcroft post VI?

Nope (and I did my VI back in January so it feels like foreeeever!).

However, I was recently told by the DACB associate that some of their recruitment staff was apparently furloughed + they are also dealing with internal matters and so he reckons it may be a while before we hear back from them - which I think is completely understandable.

• 🤝
    Reactions: nymi, NadineBusty and 851eg

851eg

Mar 6, 2020
    Nope (and I did my VI back in January so it feels like foreeeever!).

However, I was recently told by the DACB associate that some of their recruitment staff was apparently furloughed + they are also dealing with internal matters and so he reckons it may be a while before we hear back from them - which I think is completely understandable.

Thank you!! Best of luck :)

Dala

Standard Member
    Apr 28, 2020
    thanks for your replies! i was also wondering if it is worth re-applying to the same firm if you were rejected? i know some firms ask you not to, but if they dont specify this what are your thoughts? thank you guys :)

Reactions: NadineBusty

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    thanks for your replies! i was also wondering if it is worth re-applying to the same firm if you were rejected? i know some firms ask you not to, but if they dont specify this what are your thoughts? thank you guys :)

Hey! As long as you believe your application has improved from the previous cycle and can showcase the improvement, I would say go for it.

Firms ultimately want the best people for their firm. You applying a second time, with improvement, shows you are keen on the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

no point reapplying for the same vacancy in the same cycle. If the firm has no policy, then no issue with reapplying as long as you know your application has changed significantly

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Hi All,

How would you answer:

Please detail academic awards, prizes or scholarships and non-academic achievements at school, university and law school (if applicable)

I'm assuming you can only list achievements/prizes from school so achievements outside of this wouldn't count?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All,

How would you answer:

Please detail academic awards, prizes or scholarships and non-academic achievements at school, university and law school (if applicable)

I'm assuming you can only list achievements/prizes from school so achievements outside of this wouldn't count?

if they are achievements outside of this (eg in work) then include this in your work experience sections

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.