General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Just got a high 2:2 for one essay module! I also have a 63 in my another essay module done earlier this year. Will this be an issue for firms? I got 70% last year(first year) with one 2:2 and had interviews for vac schemes, though the results mentioned are my second year grades (so far) :(

WMA

Feb 17, 2020
Just got a high 2:2 for one essay module! I also have a 63 in my another essay module done earlier this year. Will this be an issue for firms? I got 70% last year(first year) with one 2:2 and had interviews for vac schemes, though the results mentioned are my second year grades (so far) :(
Every recruiter is different, but if it makes you feel any better, my friend got 47% (misinterpreted the Q) in one of her second year essays and still secured a pupilage (she even joked about it in her interview). She worked hard on pulling the rest of her application up and it worked. Hope this helps but as I say, that's just one recruiter's take :)

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Every recruiter is different, but if it makes you feel any better, my friend got 47% (misinterpreted the Q) in one of her second year essays and still secured a pupilage (she even joked about it in her interview). She worked hard on pulling the rest of her application up and it worked. Hope this helps but as I say, that's just one recruiter's take :)

Thank you! I am referring to commercial law firms, but your friends pupilage stories, despite their grades, gives hope :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

One module per year is unlikely to be a problem for the vast majority of firms

Reactions: Daniel Boden

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi all, just a random question. But I'm assuming even though you mention a brief description of a work role in your work experience section, we're still allowed to go into more detail i.e. the skills we acquired, etc. in other sections of the application and it's not considered "repeating" as we're not explicitly saying the same things just speaking of the same role?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, just a random question. But I'm assuming even though you mention a brief description of a work role in your work experience section, we're still allowed to go into more detail i.e. the skills we acquired, etc. in other sections of the application and it's not considered "repeating" as we're not explicitly saying the same things just speaking of the same role?

that’s fine if it fits the other section and you are not repeating unnecessary detail

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

Will Jones

Jun 5, 2020

From what I have been told by grad development teams I think this will be fine, especially as getting a 70%+ in first year is so difficult!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
I know this might be a vague question, but I was wondering if anyone knew when Macfarlanes hosts their ACs for direct training contract apps, i.e. if they do them after the VS's are complete, or just simply what months they usually do this? Thanks!

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
I know this might be a vague question, but I was wondering if anyone knew when Macfarlanes hosts their ACs for direct training contract apps, i.e. if they do them after the VS's are complete, or just simply what months they usually do this? Thanks!

I believe they review apps and do ACs on a rolling basis. If I remember correctly, I saw grad rec post about doing their first virtual AC for direct training contracts a couple weeks back. They're probably quite busy with sorting out the virtual vac schemes at the moment, but I think once those are set up you'll be hearing from them fairly promptly.

am787

Oct 15, 2018
Can someone please shed some light on Slaughter's cover letter - they ask for one side of A4 - does this include the spaces you'd take up for yours and the recipient's address or do they mean the actual written response needs to be one side of A4 (so excluding the addresses)

NMD

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
Hey :) I hope everyone is doing well and trying to stay positive in the current climate! Has anyone heard what’s happening with Mishcon’s summer VS tempted to shoot them an email?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone please shed some light on Slaughter's cover letter - they ask for one side of A4 - does this include the spaces you'd take up for yours and the recipient's address or do they mean the actual written response needs to be one side of A4 (so excluding the addresses)

full thing with all traditional layouts as I understand it.

Reactions: Alice G

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi All, do you think it's still worth applying to Travers Smith? On the place to apply it states "Please note that due to the high level of applications received for training contracts from October 2019, we will now only be offering further interviews after our closing date of 31 July. Other than an acknowledgement of your application, we may therefore not be in a position to provide you with a substantive response until after that date." I'm not sure if this is code for them saying they already have too many apps and probably won't look further. I just don't want to waste time on this application, when I should focus on firms that will be hiring, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts? Also I think I read that they say something similar to this last year.

Tushar

Distinguished Member
Mar 18, 2020
View attachment 1829

Really confusing. If you take a look at the attached pic, it seems to only be open to penultimate and not graduates/final year law.

Also, why would they ask you to confirm that you’re a penultimate student if it’s open for graduates as well?

Very confusing...
I had mailed the Graduate Recruitment to ask about this, to which they answered that if a final year undergraduate or a graduate has not applied to the firms in the Feb-April Window, he/she can apply through this, but if he/she already has, then he/she can't apply in this window.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Dannys

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All, do you think it's still worth applying to Travers Smith? On the place to apply it states "Please note that due to the high level of applications received for training contracts from October 2019, we will now only be offering further interviews after our closing date of 31 July. Other than an acknowledgement of your application, we may therefore not be in a position to provide you with a substantive response until after that date." I'm not sure if this is code for them saying they already have too many apps and probably won't look further. I just don't want to waste time on this application, when I should focus on firms that will be hiring, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts? Also I think I read that they say something similar to this last year.

it isn’t code. If they had too many applications they would just close applications now.

it is just trying to make clear that you won’t hear back until after 31 July.

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.