General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hello, does anyone have any tips for the Shoosmiths VI? Any nasty surprises?
    Would appreciate any tips and advice for the Shoosmiths VI please!
    Afraid I haven't got anything for Shoosmiths specifically but I'd recommend checking out a brilliant thread made by @Alice G a few months ago on video interviews. Hope it helps you both and best of luck! :)
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/video-interviews-tips-and-tricks.2324/

• 🤝
    Reactions: WMA and Alice G

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    For those of you who did secondary school outside of the UK, how do you usually fill in the GCSE or equivalent section? For A-Levels its easy as my equivalent is simply the IB program, however for GCSE's its a bit more tricky. What I think is to put in my final exam grades for Grade 10 which is when I was 15/16 and right before I began the IB program. Does this make sense or is there a better approach?

I would not overthink it, they will ask if they don't understand. In my year before IB, I did something called "Pre-IB" which was a very unusual program in the way it was structured but I just provided my grades for the year and never got asked about it (and was invited to 3 interviews). So I would just put grades for your year before IB and if they need more, they will ask :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Have noticed so many of you guys are sharing your experiences and your tips and advice on this process, especially as deadlines and schemes are upon us. I just wanted to say a huge shoutout to you all and to say thank you from the TCLA team as it is so important to get a diverse spread of views, experiences and perspectives. Please do keep sharing and supporting as it means such a lot and makes a huge difference to so many people in this process :)

Hope you have all had a good start to your weeks!

OH

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 24, 2018
    Anyone heard from Dentons (post-1st interview) or BCLP for TC?
    I had my first round direct TC interview for Dentons in the first week of April and have still heard nothing. They told me during it that they had no idea when they would get back given corona. I emailed over the weekend asking for a rough date and they provided a response which can be summarised as 'god knows'. Best of luck.

• Haha
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: HD, Ifmhouse4, Ar2016 and 3 others

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Hi All, so in the Slaughter and May application in the section where they say "your covering letter, cv and additional documents" would it be suitable to attach letters of recommendation for the additional documents? I have three really good letters of rec and I was wondering if anyone has done this or if it's advised. The examples they give for additional documents are
    1. An explanation of the grading structure for the school and/or university you attended, if non standard
    2. Academic transcripts if a full breakdown has not been provided within your application

I don't have either one of those, so attaching my letters of rec instead I think could be helpful, but curious on everyones thoughts on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All, so in the Slaughter and May application in the section where they say "your covering letter, cv and additional documents" would it be suitable to attach letters of recommendation for the additional documents? I have three really good letters of rec and I was wondering if anyone has done this or if it's advised. The examples they give for additional documents are
    1. An explanation of the grading structure for the school and/or university you attended, if non standard
    2. Academic transcripts if a full breakdown has not been provided within your application

I don't have either one of those, so attaching my letters of rec instead I think could be helpful, but curious on everyones thoughts on this.

If you do, one is sufficient. They aren’t going to read three, especially if they are lengthy

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Christ - glad I've always steered clear of TSR!!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6119930&page=254

Makes you grateful for the moderation on this forum when responses may even come across as rude.

Props to @Jaysen and the CLA team!

Edit - didn't realise CLA actually got mentioned on there too (although somewhat controversially)
    Wow... I'd better get the popcorn out for the responses on that thread! Does make you more appreciative of the community we have on here that 99% of the time is looking to build others up and help them succeed rather than drag people down

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Christ - glad I've always steered clear of TSR!!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6119930&page=254

Makes you grateful for the moderation on this forum when responses may even come across as rude.

Props to @Jaysen and the CLA team!

Edit - didn't realise CLA actually got mentioned on there too (although somewhat controversially)

It’s a really toxic environment on there - and full of really bad advice too (the latter is why I started posting in there in 2014). It literally made me a worse person as I used to get so riled by people constantly wanting to be snarky towards others. I was harassed constantly and in time my only way to respond to people on there was to communicate in the way they were. Being anonymous on that forum creates some god awful personas. Some of their community rules have a lot to be desired with too.

Even I didn’t like the person I became because of TSR. I am very happy to have left and now to be in this environment which is more productive and supportive.

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    It’s a really toxic environment on there - and full of really bad advice too (the latter is why I started posting in there in 2014). It literally made me a worse person as I used to get so riled by people constantly wanting to be snarky towards others. I was harassed constantly and in time my only way to respond to people on there was to communicate in the way they were. Being anonymous on that forum creates some god awful personas. Some of their community rules have a lot to be desired with too.

Even I didn’t like the person I became because of TSR. I am very happy to have left and now to be in this environment which is more productive and supportive.

Wow I didn't realise how hostile it was (and I guess still is).

It made me think about the number of people who have really benefitted from, as you say, CLA's supportive environment and may not have obtained TCs if all they had were TSR users to rely on.

It's a great credit to the whole CLA team (which includes you too Jessica!) who provide insights with genuine enthusiasm to see us all do well.

Reactions: Jaysen and Zoo

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    If you do, one is sufficient. They aren’t going to read three, especially if they are lengthy

Thanks! However, for the breakdown of grades document, I just got an email from Slaughter and May stating that it's required to have an explanation of the grading structure for the school and/or university you attended, if non standard.They basically said my application would not be reviewed unless I have that document. I'm assuming that doesn't extend to the IB program because it's considered 'standard," however for the GCSE equivalent would I need to provide a document explaining my grade structure as I just had standard Canadian public education?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks! However, for the breakdown of grades document, I just got an email from Slaughter and May stating that it's required to have an explanation of the grading structure for the school and/or university you attended, if non standard.They basically said my application would not be reviewed unless I have that document. I'm assuming that doesn't extend to the IB program because it's considered 'standard," however for the GCSE equivalent would I need to provide a document explaining my grade structure as I just had standard Canadian public education?

that isn’t a letter of recommendation though. My point was only upload one letter of recommendation - sorry if that was unclear.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I definitely felt the same way when I posted on TSR!

Am very grateful to this community too - you guys are always so supportive of each other, which makes our job easy. We definitely have some work to do still to do here, especially in terms of community rules/improving the forum, but as we grow, I'm so keen to keep it like this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.