General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Has anyone heard back post-app from: Dentons, Freshfields, Boodle Hatfield, DWF, Gibson Dunn or Macfarlanes? All for direct TC. I know the deadlines haven't passed yet for some of these.

Myself and one other person that I know of found out that we passed the application stage for Freshfields on Monday and we completed the Watson Glaser this week. However, Freshfields doesn't recruit on a rolling basis so I don't really know why we heard back before the deadline, but they said they'll be getting back to everyone in August!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Myself and one other person that I know of found out that we passed the application stage for Freshfields on Monday and we completed the Watson Glaser this week. However, Freshfields doesn't recruit on a rolling basis so I don't really know why we heard back before the deadline, but they said they'll be getting back to everyone in August!
That's incredible - congratulations! Good luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it worth applying to Macfarlanes considering they review on a rolling basis and their deadline is 31st July?

yes

You’ll be 1-2 weeks ahead of a significant proportion (probably over 50%) of other applicants.

just try to get it in the next 3-5 days rather than the last week of applications.

nymi

Distinguished Member
Nov 21, 2019
yes

You’ll be 1-2 weeks ahead of a significant proportion (probably over 50%) of other applicants.

just try to get it in the next 3-5 days rather than the last week of applications.
Thank you for the reply, Jessica

I had another question regarding the Macfarlanes application. The application asks questions like why I want to apply for the role and what skill do possess. However, it also asks for a cover letter. Should I be repeating myself about why I want to join the firm and how I developed my skills in my cover letter?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I had another question regarding the Macfarlanes application. The application asks questions like why I want to apply for the role and what skill do possess. However, it also asks for a cover letter. Should I be repeating myself about why I want to join the firm and how I developed my skills in my cover letter?

no - you shouldn’t be repeating yourself in the cover letter really. Maybe put another spin on your cover letter (eg cover different points about why you/why them) or just keep your cover letter short. I don’t know if anyone has any specific advice on their application though

Reactions: AllG

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Guys I just got invited to a VI with AS for their Aspire scheme. Does anyone know what kind of questions do they tend to ask?
Thank you in advance

I was on the scheme this year and I wasn't asked to do a VI, I presume that was the case for everyone else too. But good luck! It's an incredible scheme.

Reactions: S87

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018

Don't repeat but, rather, extend eg if you can only fit in 3 out of the 4 skills you want to talk about, put the fourth one in the cover letter. The cover letter is also a good place to explain 'why law' since that isn't asked anywhere else on the app.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hi, has anyone applied to Goldman Sachs in-house legal analyst role before (and do you have any tips for application)? I'm really interested and currently writing the cover letter, but there's little information on that programme online. Thanks!
    I'm currently a summer analyst for another large investment bank, I'm happy to private message you details about my experience and the role if it would provide you with any guidance?

• 🤝
    Reactions: E and futuretraineecity

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Guys I just got invited to a VI with AS for their Aspire scheme. Does anyone know what kind of questions do they tend to ask?
    Thank you in advance
    I was on Aspire for the first year it ran from 2018-19. I didn't have a VI but had a face-to-face interview at a firm. They asked me why law, why commercial law, why me, which firms I was interested in and why, which practice areas I was interested in and why, why I need Aspire to succeed, how I would benefit the scheme etc. They also asked for a news story I'd recently read and how it relates to firms/practice areas that I'm interested in. I also had to do a presentation on a topic that interests me and then respond to some questions on that. All of this may have completely changed though.
    AS are honestly so incredible, even if you don't get onto Aspire there are so many ways to get involved with them. Congrats on getting this far and good luck!

Reactions: IntrepidL

nymi

Distinguished Member
    Nov 21, 2019
    Don't repeat but, rather, extend eg if you can only fit in 3 out of the 4 skills you want to talk about, put the fourth one in the cover letter. The cover letter is also a good place to explain 'why law' since that isn't asked anywhere else on the app.
    Lovely, thank you so much. That helps a lot !

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I'm currently a summer analyst for another large investment bank, I'm happy to private message you details about my experience and the role if it would provide you with any guidance?

Could you also PM me this, as I'm also (semi) interested in this too!?

Has anyone heard back from White & Case?

Re W&C, saw a few VS'ers get TC's on LinkedIn, so they may be focused on that! I believe that all their VS has ended however now, so they should reply to us within a few weeks hopefully :)

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Hi, has anyone applied to Goldman Sachs in-house legal analyst role before (and do you have any tips for application)? I'm really interested and currently writing the cover letter, but there's little information on that programme online. Thanks!

Hey, just to clarify, it's essentially an application for a New Analyst role, but you just specify you want it to be in the legal department?

student101

Standard Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    Hi, I have applied to two (paid) part-time Campus Ambassador roles over the summer to maximise my chances of at least getting one.

In the off chance that I get both, is it possible to accept them and do them alongside each other? Or will firms be hesitant about me accepting other the responsibilities of another job that they believe might interfere with what they want me to do?

• 🏆
    Reactions: O

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have applied to two (paid) part-time Campus Ambassador roles over the summer to maximise my chances of at least getting one.

In the off chance that I get both, is it possible to accept them and do them alongside each other? Or will firms be hesitant about me accepting other the responsibilities of another job that they believe might interfere with what they want me to do?

Generally not - most firms will state you can’t do the same job for a competitor. Might be different if one of the roles is for one of media/marketing suppliers though

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.