General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi, I have applied to two (paid) part-time Campus Ambassador roles over the summer to maximise my chances of at least getting one.

In the off chance that I get both, is it possible to accept them and do them alongside each other? Or will firms be hesitant about me accepting other the responsibilities of another job that they believe might interfere with what they want me to do?
I had two campus ambassador roles at the same time but one was for a firm and one was for a training provider so the same conflict doesn't apply. I'd be honest with them both and see what they say. Worst case scenario, you'll have to pick your favourite. Good luck!

Reactions: student101

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi, I have applied to two (paid) part-time Campus Ambassador roles over the summer to maximise my chances of at least getting one.

In the off chance that I get both, is it possible to accept them and do them alongside each other? Or will firms be hesitant about me accepting other the responsibilities of another job that they believe might interfere with what they want me to do?
    If the two don't clash and you pursue both of them, definitely think about how much spare time you have and if you can give your all to both positions. Naturally you'll probably put more effort into one of the positions over the other. Also look to see how many hours of work is needed by both - I have done roles that I was generally paid for work over the year with no strict hours, and others where I had to account for what I had done for the company for 8 hours every month and had specific targets to hit! If you have any society commitments as well I'd recommend just going forward with one but depends on the roles and your time management!

Reactions: student101

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    hey guys, i just got rejected a training contract offer following a vac scheme. this was basically my last chance to get a training contract this year and i feel very down and low and i dont know how to go about starting this process all over again. this isn't my first or second cycle, and i know im not alone. does anyone have any tips or advice on how to move forward after continuous rejection? i am 24, and im doing an accelerated track and i just wonder what my options are given SQE and all that. thank you guys.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    hey guys, i just got rejected a training contract offer following a vac scheme. this was basically my last chance to get a training contract this year and i feel very down and low and i dont know how to go about starting this process all over again. this isn't my first or second cycle, and i know im not alone. does anyone have any tips or advice on how to move forward after continuous rejection? i am 24, and im doing an accelerated track and i just wonder what my options are given SQE and all that. thank you guys.
    Really sorry to hear this. Personally, I think the fact you've come so close and got the Vac Scheme (which in itself is a huge achievement - you probably got further than hundreds if not thousands of applicants) means you definitely have what it takes and your biggest challenge now is to find the motivation to keep going.

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019

Hey, I don’t have any particular advice. But, I just wanted to thank u for being so open, we all get rejection and it’s so hard to process a lot of the time. But it’s an absolute amazing achievement to get a vacation scheme, you are clearly an amazing candidate and that vac scheme will only stand you in good stead for future applications!! I hope u get sometime to relax today and just do something that makes you happy and switch off for a bit! sending all my love

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

if you have just been rejected, give yourself some time off from thinking about it. Go and enjoy other things in your life and maybe come back to this towards the end of this week or maybe even next week and then regroup and start to think about your new plan of action.

when you say you are doing an accelerated track, what do you mean?

Reactions: JayB

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    if you have just been rejected, give yourself some time off from thinking about it. Go and enjoy other things in your life and maybe come back to this towards the end of this week or maybe even next week and then regroup and start to think about your new plan of action.

when you say you are doing an accelerated track, what do you mean?

hi jessica, thank you so much for the advice. i will definitely give it sometime and keep pushing.

i meant im doing an accelerated LLB (so 2 years bcz i already have an undergrad degree).

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    Really sorry to hear this. Personally, I think the fact you've come so close and got the Vac Scheme (which in itself is a huge achievement - you probably got further than hundreds if not thousands of applicants) means you definitely have what it takes and your biggest challenge now is to find the motivation to keep going.
    thank you so much. i really appreciate the kind words and i'll keep pushing

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    Hey, I don’t have any particular advice. But, I just wanted to thank u for being so open, we all get rejection and it’s so hard to process a lot of the time. But it’s an absolute amazing achievement to get a vacation scheme, you are clearly an amazing candidate and that vac scheme will only stand you in good stead for future applications!! I hope u get sometime to relax today and just do something that makes you happy and switch off for a bit! sending all my love
    thank you so much. of course, i feel v supported on this forum and i know im not alone in the process, which can be v debilitating sometimes. i'll watch some dumb tv and try to not to think about it. thank you again :))

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Anyone considering applying to Weil's direct TC? I saw that their VS for summer has been moved to September, so was wondering if there is any point, since I am under the presumption that they recruit from their VS, and the remaining(if any) TC spaces through direct TC

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019

I'm really sorry to hear this, but like others have said, the fact that you got a VS is amazing in its own right(and also always super competitive to get). I'm sure these processes involve some form of luck, but your hard work will pay off in the next cycle. Certainly rest for a while to take your mind of things :) (I know how you feel as I was also rejected from TC's earlier), but just be assured you are a great candidate, and all it takes is for one firm to say yes :)

You got this !

D

Deleted member 5185

thank you so much. i really appreciate the kind words and i'll keep pushing

I feel your anguish, I admittedly spent most of today feeling quite crap about myself because this is my third cycle, and I am terrified about how I am going to pay for the GDL etc. If you ever want to rant or talk, feel free to PM me. I have hope that it does get better though, I lost a parent in 2017, and it was really hard to deal with, but life has a funny way of working itself out right at the moment you think it is over. (That being said the TC is still pending! ) Sending lots of warmth your way.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018

Thank you for being so strong in sharing this with everyone. I understand how you feel, and you are definitely not alone in this. When I got rejected, I felt extremely defeated and the only way I was able to continue persevering was that I found some like-minded people who were willing to practise interview questions and commercial awareness questions with me - finding someone who was going through the same things I was, but who were equally willing to work hard to get to the place we eventually wanted to be at kept me going, and made me even more determined to get a TC.

If you like, feel free to PM me so you can let off any steam. The TC application process can be physically draining at times, so it's always good to have a support network :) That being said, if you would like to form a group so that we can bounce interview questions/commercial awareness discussions off each other, don't hesitate to PM me. I am sure we will both get to the place we want to be :) It's not a matter of 'if', but simply a matter of 'when' :) Sending you lots of warmth.

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Hey! I'm really sorry to hear this and I know first hand having also been rejected post-vac last year how much this sucks. I know everyone has already said this before but to even get on a VS is a huge achievement and take pride in this - because it is actual concrete proof you absolutely are good enough and deserving of a TC. Take a break from apps and just relax - when I did this I quickly began to see why maybe the firm I was rejected from wasn't right for me. You will find that silver lining I promise you.

• 🤝
    Reactions: JayB and acceleratedlaw
    D

Deleted member 5185

Would anyone be interested in making a WhatsApp support group to discuss commercial awareness and general application things whilst we wait for the outcomes?

I feel that we often see the successes of others, but rarely see the struggle behind that. I for one can say that this has been a really lonely time through coronavirus and applications etc, and wondered if anyone else is feeling the same?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.