General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaw96

Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
I've just received an assessment centre invite from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner for a direct TC, however, I accepted a training contract at another City firm about three weeks ago. As a result, I will not be able to attend, I applied on the 7th of June if anyone is interested and still waiting to hear back!

• 🏆
  • 🤝
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Holly, FutureCity, Zoo and 10 others

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Anyone know roughly what Hogan Lovells' turnaround time is for direct TCs? I did the WG just over a week ago, do they normally take a few weeks or so to reply? I'm aware they have approximately 4000 applications a year, so it's not surprising.
Thank you!

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've just received an assessment centre invite from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner for a direct TC, however, I accepted a training contract at another City firm about three weeks ago. As a result, I will not be able to attend, I applied on the 7th of June if anyone is interested and still waiting to hear back!

Well you can attend unless you know you wouldn't accept the TC with BCLP over the one you have now...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have experience applying to paralegal roles? I was wondering if you generally hear back if you’re unsuccessful?

It can often be the case you will never hear back - which sucks.

My advice is to focus on contract and temp paralegal roles rather than perm ones. Also consider applying to other business admin roles within law firms that are not paralegal roles - sometimes a business development admin role, a compliance role, or a CSR admin role can be far more interesting (and better for your career development) than a paralegal role.

Reactions: TTD20

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
If only you were allowed to transfer the AC to another candidate!! Congratulations on the TC offer!

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    So i'm slightly confused. I saw that Macfarlanes recruit on a rolling basis so I called up grad recruitment in July (a couple of weeks before the deadline) and asked if it would be better to apply in October (next cycle). Grad recruitment said they thought so as unlikely I'd be invited to an AC as I was applying so late. I have since noted on here that noone has heard back from them anyway (including people who applied last year) so not really sure why grad recruitment said that!?

Reactions: NadineBusty

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    So i'm slightly confused. I saw that Macfarlanes recruit on a rolling basis so I called up grad recruitment in July (a couple of weeks before the deadline) and asked if it would be better to apply in October (next cycle). Grad recruitment said they thought so as unlikely I'd be invited to an AC as I was applying so late. I have since noted on here that noone has heard back from them anyway (including people who applied last year) so not really sure why grad recruitment said that!?
    Because the fill the places quite quickly through their VS. Even if firms recruit through direct TC, they are more likely to hire via VS...e.g. DWF

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Just sounds like first-come first-served with them not being great at getting back to candidates that apply later.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Surely there can't be any harm in applying this cycle and next cycle?

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Yes I applied anyway. I was just trying to understand why people who applied months ago also haven't heard anything and then others have said grad rec are getting back to us in a few weeks. Think it's probably a case of them filling up their places very early on and their communication with applicants being slow / poor as Jessica said.

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    I got rejected in May and applied to their direct TC in late March aha if that helps! And I do know of a few other rejections around May time!

I might be mis remembering but I think a few direct TC AC invites went out in May too

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Yes I applied anyway. I was just trying to understand why people who applied months ago also haven't heard anything and then others have said grad rec are getting back to us in a few weeks. Think it's probably a case of them filling up their places very early on and their communication with applicants being slow / poor as Jessica said.
    I haven’t heard anything back and I applied in April! I am hoping to hear back within the next few weeks as the wait is killing me now

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    I got rejected in May and applied to their direct TC in late March aha if that helps! And I do know of a few other rejections around May time!

I might be mis remembering but I think a few direct TC AC invites went out in May too

Ah no sorry to hear. Most of the posts i've seen in relation to Macs are from people saying they haven't heard back yet but now I feel my point is slightly redundant haha!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.